cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New to pulling a fifth wheel

Dollarbill60
Explorer
Explorer
Hello to all. Recently purchased a 2007 Keystone Laredo 29RK pulling it with a 2015 Ford Super Duty 6.7L Power Stroke. It was a one owner, great condition. We have been on two short trips already and getting acclimated to this lifestyle. We are planning a longer trip next month. My question, is it better to just pull up to where the Semi's refuel at the Love and Pilot Truck stops since there is more room or do they frown on that? I plan on many long trips in the future. Thanks in advance and I am sure I will have many more questions.
M. Dollar
24 REPLIES 24

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the rest areas on the east coast have these kind of signs, limiting idle time. Once had a highway patrol cruising the lot, knocking on doors, up in New Hampshire. I had just pulled in, was doing my log book when he drove up to my door. He reminded me that there was a twenty minute idle limit for trucks. It was something like 15 degrees, my little home was a fiberglass shell. I told him I was out of hours (illegal to drive) and to go home and tell his wife and kids they couldn't run their furnance, then I would shut off mine. I never saw him again, my truck ran all night.

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't want to be the guy knocking on sleepers saying time to go. Kidding - im sure the level of ordinance enforcement doesn't go further than the signs. Lots of walmarts do the same but you ask and they will say a night is ok.

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
We have a fairly new QuikTrip in Terrell, Tx. Went thru the other day to fill my TV. The have lanes next to the big rig pumps labelled Auto Diesel, separated by the scales if you want to weigh your rig. This is a separate area from the gas pumps. Nice and large, no problem at all for any size 5er. Filled up at $2.33 and looked over at the big rig pumps, $2.45. Huh???

Talk about a rip-off. Topper was a city ordinance limiting parking to 4 hrs, signs posted all over the parking area. This was in the area for the big rigs to "overnite" park. What were they (QT) thinking to build a truck stop with that ordinance in place.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

kopy_kat
Explorer
Explorer
These fuel stops are also starting to have DEF pumps for those of us with the newer diesels. Could come in handy if you forget to stop at WallyWorld for a jug.

Larry
2013 Flagstaff 8528ikws---"Camp MiMiPaPa"

cbshoestring wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
My only issue with fueling with the big boys is getting behind the one who is just coming off a long haul.. They fuel up and pull up , you pull up and fill the truck. Once done there is still no sign of the driver and now your boxed in..
It happened to me twice , and usually not fun. I rather look for the rv lanes at the flying J

Trust me, if the driver did it to another trucker, he would get an ear full.

Go in, get a receipt, take a quick p@@, buy a cup of coffee to start the entire process over again. All can be done prior to the next guy filling up dual 150 gallons tanks. Might hold you up a bit if you are only filling a half full 50 gal tank.

Hold me up and come out with a McDonalds/Wendys bag in your hand, or looking like you just had a fresh shower----we gonna have us a little talk. :B

Let's just say that the one time it happened the driver had a half empty bag of food and other bags... He was also a bit too big to mention my displeasure to , so I just sat.... And sat....
I drove a 48' flatbed for 30 years and been a few truck stops in my day so I know the curtious way... And the Other way
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
My only issue with fueling with the big boys is getting behind the one who is just coming off a long haul.. They fuel up and pull up , you pull up and fill the truck. Once done there is still no sign of the driver and now your boxed in..
It happened to me twice , and usually not fun. I rather look for the rv lanes at the flying J

Trust me, if the driver did it to another trucker, he would get an ear full.

Go in, get a receipt, take a quick p@@, buy a cup of coffee to start the entire process over again. All can be done prior to the next guy filling up dual 150 gallons tanks. Might hold you up a bit if you are only filling a half full 50 gal tank.

Hold me up and come out with a McDonalds/Wendys bag in your hand, or looking like you just had a fresh shower----we gonna have us a little talk. :B

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
taken wrote:
The Ford's have the large fill inlet so no issue there. I always use the truck pumps. One other thing that I didn't see mentioned is the speed at which they pump. Many are high speed pumps and they will fill our little tanks in less than a minute. While this is great, they do not have an automatic shut off like car pumps. So you have to listen to the sound coming from your fill inlet. You'll hear it when it gets close to full and should stop then. If not, the side of your truck will be getting a diesel wash.

We got the Good Sams RV - Pilot card when we started full timing. We try to use it almost 100% of the time refueling while hooked up. We ALWAYS use truck lanes for refueling while hooked up. With Pilot and Flying J you can pay at the pump with their card, pull forward while you go inside for receipt, and be gone in a matter of minutes.

Oftentimes we back into the truck parking area if we want to eat or take a break.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

mferris72
Explorer
Explorer
I try to use Flying J if avalable. Most have RV lanes and are easy in/out. Don't like Love's as they tend to be run down. Truck Lanes are OK, but if you have a dog its usually a long way to a grassy ara for them.
Mike Ferris

taken
Explorer
Explorer
The Ford's have the large fill inlet so no issue there. I always use the truck pumps. One other thing that I didn't see mentioned is the speed at which they pump. Many are high speed pumps and they will fill our little tanks in less than a minute. While this is great, they do not have an automatic shut off like car pumps. So you have to listen to the sound coming from your fill inlet. You'll hear it when it gets close to full and should stop then. If not, the side of your truck will be getting a diesel wash.
Regards, Rodney
TV - 2017 F350 SRW CC SB 4X4 6.7
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
Only a few have Rv lanes in the west. We use the truck lanes and mostly works well. FAR better than the car islands. Be aware most pilot and flying j travel plazas are increadibly busy in the truck lanes so quick in and out is good. Truckers get very tense in line ups.

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
After they have finished pumping fuel, truckers do not leave their rigs at the pumps if they have to go inside to pay, get a receipt, etc. You are supposed to pull straight forward so that another truck can pull up to the pumps. You should do that even if there is no truck waiting behind you, because one may arrive while you are inside. There is usually a white line showing where to stop.

Dave_H_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well I looked at it this way. When I towed with a diesel (12 years), I never had the urge to schmooze with the big rigs. Never had a problem at large stations.

I been towing with gas for 3 years now. I still do not have any problem gassing up with the autos.

By the way I have a 40 gal aux, be darned if i would unhook just to fill that puppy up.

I think you need to do what suits your needs.

Passin__Through
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't already have one, do yourself a BIG favor and install a high-capacity fuel tank, large enough to take you through an entire day of travel. Then when you stop for the night, drop the trailer and take the truck only to any station you wish that has diesel. It will make things much easier.

We just had a 52-gallon Titan tank installed in our tow vehicle and love it! No more stopping every 200 miles or so to look for diesel fuel and a station that has enough room to accommodate our rig. We just fuel up at the end of the day.:)
2008 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax 4x4 CCSB; Superglide 16k hitch w/3" lift kit; Titan 52-gallon replacement fuel tank :C
2007 HitchHiker II LS 26.5RLBG Mor/Ryde pinbox:B