cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to RV'ing, looking for a toyhauler

TheMohns
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I decided to get a camper recently and I was hoping to get some ideas about what we are looking at. I found a Road Warrior 420 and got to a price that I thought was good. My wife wants to go a little cheaper. So now I am going to look at a Vengeance 377V. I have read some bad reviews about these, but I feel like they all will have some problems. Anyone have any experience with the Vengeance trailers?
9 REPLIES 9

mrkoje
Explorer
Explorer
Good choice on a toy hauler. My wife and I have had a TT TH and now a FW TH. They are more versatile then a typical trailer IMO. Before getting such a big rig though I would think pretty hard about where you are planning to go.

My wife and I started with a 26 footer then a 30ft and now a 37ft FW. There wasn't much difference between the 26ft and 30ft when trying to find a suitable spot but WOW a lot different when going larger then 35ft. With out smaller rigs we were able to get into some tight spots in the Forest (free dispersed camping) which was great. Now - because of the length and clearance of our Raptor it is almost impossible to get to anything that isn't on a nice paved or gravel road.

FWIW - I have the 6pt leveling jacks on my Raptor. I love it! Except for right now because my front right jack is leaking hydraulic fluid and the rig is at the dealership waiting to be fixed. It's not that hard to level a trailer it just takes a bit more time. Look into the Anderson levelers - they make it a lot quicker then stacking legos.
RAPTOR 300MP
RAM 3500 MEGA CTD 4X4

BeachLife4Us
Explorer
Explorer
We looked at the Road Warrior too and decided on the Grand Design. We are new to RV as well and getting ready to get our first RV as well! We were going for a 43' at first but talked ourselves out of it and we are now considering the GD 350m which is 38'.

It's so exciting!!!

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
TheMohns wrote:
JAC1982 wrote:
We don't have the auto leveling on our current TT TH, but you bet we will be getting them on our next purchase, which will be a 5th wheel. I wouldn't go without them, it's a huge pain to get even smaller trailers level, I can't imagine doing a 40+ footer.

Speaking of, why do you want one that large? That's a huge thing to take on as your first one! We've figured out that many many campgrounds can't accommodate larger than 40', so something to think about there.

We were pretty much hooked on the toy hauler when we saw them. I have 4 kids and the 3 boys have their own 4 wheelers. The wife wants a golf cart and kayaks.

We just moved to town from living on a farm so I have a little trailer towing experience. Hopefully the places my wife wants to camp will allow the large trailer.

The RV place just called and they accepted my offer on the 377V! So I guess I better learn how to level that thing!

Exciting! Now go join www.forestriverforums.com. Check into the toy hauler section. Several folks there with the 377V.

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
TheMohns wrote:
JAC1982 wrote:
We don't have the auto leveling on our current TT TH, but you bet we will be getting them on our next purchase, which will be a 5th wheel. I wouldn't go without them, it's a huge pain to get even smaller trailers level, I can't imagine doing a 40+ footer.

Speaking of, why do you want one that large? That's a huge thing to take on as your first one! We've figured out that many many campgrounds can't accommodate larger than 40', so something to think about there.

We were pretty much hooked on the toy hauler when we saw them. I have 4 kids and the 3 boys have their own 4 wheelers. The wife wants a golf cart and kayaks.

We just moved to town from living on a farm so I have a little trailer towing experience. Hopefully the places my wife wants to camp will allow the large trailer.

The RV place just called and they accepted my offer on the 377V! So I guess I better learn how to level that thing!

Congrats! Definitely research before you go there that they can fit your trailer (and don't forget to leave space for your tow vehicle... gotta be able to park it too!). We love our toy hauler (we have a RZR), and can't wait to upgrade to something in the 38' range with a bigger garage.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

TheMohns
Explorer
Explorer
JAC1982 wrote:

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer

2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

TheMohns
Explorer
Explorer
When I compare the 377V to the Road Warrior, one of the big things I lose with the 377 is the auto level jacks. I have never owned a camper before so I am not sure how important that is or how much I would like it. Is it a PITA to level the trailer without the auto level?

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I now have a Vengeance so I may seem biased. But so far this year, we've had nothing but great times.

Campers are like anything else as some are good and some are not. Quite often its just a case of "did you get a good one or not" out of a batch. But I have a feeling if you watch this thread you've started, the negative reviews about Heartland toy haulers (Road Warrior and Cyclone) will start pouring in soon.

Look into the Touring Edition Vengeance models. My 40D12 is a side patio like the Road Warrior 420.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
No experience with TH"s but sure hope you've done your homework. You're starting off big!
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)