cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New to RVing

DCHigdon
Explorer
Explorer
We have retired, sold our home,downsized our belongings and bought a 2016 RAM 2500 Cummins. We have been looking at 5th Wheels for 2 months. I keep hesitating on making a final decision because I have read so many horror stories about RVs falling apart because they are not made very well anymore. My husband likes a 38' Columbus Palomino. Does anyone own one or have any suggestions. We are spending around 80,000. For us this is a lot and feel we can't go any higher. Some say you get what you pay for. Since we will be living in it and going across the country full time we want it to be sturdy. Please help some newbies start out well.
16 REPLIES 16

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
goducks10 wrote:
http://www.palominorv.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=369&ModelID=2593#Main

If this is it then it's doable if you only use the trucks RAWR. You'll be under the trucks GCVWR and tow rating. But over on payload. JMO but as long as you don't load it to the max you should be fine. You just need to make certain that you're not over the RAWR.

If you weren't wanting to full time it would be easier to say go for it. I'm not a full timer but I would guess that a full timer will pack a lot more that a weekend warrior type. The 5th wheel certainly has the space, but the trucks the weak link.

My guess is this OP newbe is looking at the model number and not the length over all. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.palominorv.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=369&ModelID=2593#Main

If this is it then it's doable if you only use the trucks RAWR. You'll be under the trucks GCVWR and tow rating. But over on payload. JMO but as long as you don't load it to the max you should be fine. You just need to make certain that you're not over the RAWR.

If you weren't wanting to full time it would be easier to say go for it. I'm not a full timer but I would guess that a full timer will pack a lot more that a weekend warrior type. The 5th wheel certainly has the space, but the trucks the weak link.

Devocamper
Explorer
Explorer
We were looking at a keystone alpine last year it came new with many of the upgrades we have done to our current fifth wheel such as LED lighting G rated tires and some other stuff we liked in a little smaller trailer than our current one and was in a fair price range , then we looked a one in person it was nice but again sitting on the lot it had broken woodwork , and one of the slides did not work just like so many others we had looked at over the summer so we gave up on buying a new unit and will stay with our current fifth wheel which has been great but no longer produced. We will now go to a Truck Camper with three slides when we downsize. two years ago we were thinking about a motorhome and had the same quality issues as the fifth wheels , they are broken and falling apart just sitting on the dealers lots, so what happens when they are on the road everyday full timing? Anyway as other have said watch your weights a 38 footer on a 2500 even if the weights are close to ratings could turn in to a white knuckle ride and you don't want that sort of adventure you want to enjoy your retirement. Our current trailer is a 35 footer with 4 slides and is 15400 LBS max with a 2700 pin weight and is a perfect fit for our diesel DRW truck. A pleasure to tow compared to the first truck we towed the same trailer with which was a 2500 with the 8.1 gas motor from GM, the towing difference is like night and day between the 3500 DRW and the 2500 . Good luck in your travels
Mike
08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
DCHigdon wrote:
We have retired, sold our home,downsized our belongings and bought a 2016 RAM 2500 Cummins. We have been looking at 5th Wheels for 2 months. I keep hesitating on making a final decision because I have read so many horror stories about RVs falling apart because they are not made very well anymore. My husband likes a 38' Columbus Palomino. Does anyone own one or have any suggestions. We are spending around 80,000. For us this is a lot and feel we can't go any higher. Some say you get what you pay for. Since we will be living in it and going across the country full time we want it to be sturdy. Please help some newbies start out well.

Which actual floor plan are you looking at? Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wrong horse or to big of a rider. As stated above you are caught in the 250/2500 Catch 22.

We have a 2105 3500 RAM 4x4 CC SB SRW and a 16K 5th wheel that we are currently full timing in. We are close to 16K for the trailer GW, close to the RGAWR of 7K and 50 pounds over the 11,700 GVWR of the truck. This is not 250/2500 range.

Pin weight is the problem with 250/2500 trucks. You have to include the weight for the hitch and everything else that goes into the truck.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
azdryheat wrote:
The 38' Palominos I just looked at had GVWR's in the neighborhood of 14,000 pounds, which is well within the range of a 2016 Ram Cummins. The Towing Guide shows that a 2500 Ram Cummins can tow more than 17,000 pounds depending on how it's equipped. I towed my former 14,000 pound 5er with a Chevy 2500 Duramax with no issues. So check your towing weight to ensure the truck can handle the GVWR of the trailer.

Towing is not the same as loading. Yea, truck mfgs advertise huge towing numbers. But drop 3000 pounds in the bed of the truck and hit the scales. Or heck for that matter drop 3000 pounds in the bed of the truck then hitch up and attempt to tow that 14,000 pound rating worth of trailer.
Simple fact is, the OP made a costly mistake and bought not enough truck for his dream trailer.

yrusoslo
Explorer
Explorer
Sell the Dodge and get a Freightliner Sport Chassic

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
The 38' Palominos I just looked at had GVWR's in the neighborhood of 14,000 pounds, which is well within the range of a 2016 Ram Cummins. The Towing Guide shows that a 2500 Ram Cummins can tow more than 17,000 pounds depending on how it's equipped. I towed my former 14,000 pound 5er with a Chevy 2500 Duramax with no issues. So check your towing weight to ensure the truck can handle the GVWR of the trailer.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

12th_Man_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
Listen to the advise on your weights make sure you are not creating a dangerous situation especially if you plan to travel in the mountains. Nothing worse than spending that kind of money and not being satisfied.

You didn't say if you had previously owned an RV and if not when you make up your mind on which rig you want take someone with you or pay someone who is an expert to look over the rig.

You can get a lemon in any brand (don't ask me how I know this) so just make sure you don't take the dealers assurances if you are not familiar with where to look for potential problems.

Good luck with your retirement you are going to love it. Just don't rush your purchase.
2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
2500 Dodge truck + new trailer:
1. Try to look at trailers 32' or less. I have Heartland 5th wheel and it is great.
2. Before you tow your new trailer, put an exhaust brake on the truck if you have a diesel.
3. Look at replacing the original fuel tank if you have a diesel with a "Transfer Flow replacement" duel tank. I replaced my original with a 60 gal. tank. Gives you more freedom and options as you travel around. You should not need to go over $50K approx. or less to get a good trailer.

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
No matter what you buy don't pay anywhere near sticker.

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, but less 5er or more truck. A 2500 is at safe limit with about a 12-14k 5er & 2k pin. Remember to include cargo and passengers in truck loading.
A 3500srw can handle a 16k 5er, for more than that a dually.
I see hundreds of units every year in every concievable match up. The biggest thing I hear is ' we wish we had more truck' . Then rv size & weight is no problem.
If you can, stay shorter with longer slides to keep gvw and pin box weights down, get elec. over hydraulic brakes. Make the rigs brakes equal to the truck.

Yes there are many hundreds who say here in camp and in forum that their truck handles it just fine. My concern is about your life, and ours. Too little truck, too mich camper puts more than your life at risk.
Start out right.

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look at Northwood's Arctic Fox fifth wheels. They make their own frame and the insulation and construction is solid. Add me to the side of the ledger that you would be insufficient with a 2500 for a 38 foot fifth.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
You've already fallen into the 250/2500 Catch 22, don't make the situation worse by buying more RV than you TV can support, and since you'll be "Full Timers" as much as you try to limit weight chances are you'll end up at or slightly over the RV's GVWR.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint