Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New warranty policy from Grand Design

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.rvbusiness.com/2014/10/grand-design-rv-implementing-owners-pledge-2/

Something to think about if someone's looking to buy from them. Can't remember how many times I've read on here about someone having trouble getting warranty work done by a different dealer.

This is the way it should be.
8 REPLIES 8

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
For repairs on items such as A/C, Fridge, Furnace, water heater, awning etc. I've never bothered with a dealership. I always go to an RV repair shop. They handle warranties from Dometic, Norcold, Atwood, Suburban etc. without issue.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
That is one giant step forward! Even if half of it worked, it would be a 500% improvement.

I hope all brands follow this path.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Well it certainly takes the "I won't fix your trailer if you don't buy from me" premise out of the picture. It may not be a cure all, and probably isn't that common of an issue while traveling. It's free and guarantees warranty work out on the road. If it is a fridge or AC that goes bad, IMO it will take longer to get it fixed at a non GD dealer. JMO. Every little bit helps.

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
skipnchar wrote:
If it's structural issues you're having (leaky roof or delamination of side walls or suspension, you may indeed need to go ONLY to the dealer of that particular brand for repair work. Dealer C sure isn't going to get paid by dealer A for fixing a roof that was put on improperly by the manufacturer.

Thats not the issue people have had. It's when I drive to dealer B to buy my trailer and try to get service from dealer A who is closer to my home. In my case I drove 350 miles to buy my new trailer because the local one didn't have the model I wanted and would have taken several months to get and be at a considerably higher price.

Thankfully my local dealer has no trouble handling warranty work on my trailer but many have had that issue. I refuse to buy any new trailer from a dealer that has a policy of refusing or delaying work on an RV not purchased from them for which they are an authorized dealer for. Poor policy to me. Car dealers rarely ever do that.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
I suspect it's a solution without any problem to solve. I've NEVER been denied service from any RV dealer that sells the product I've having issues with. Water heaters, refrigerators, water pumps and many many other items in your RV are found in many different brands of RV and any of those dealerships can (and almost always will) work on them under warranty or otherwise. IF you find a dealer who will not do warranty work on those type of items you've likely found a dealer you don't WANT touching your RV because they're turning down good business. Problem is if they do shoddy work they would often have to do work TWICE or more times to get a problem fixed and most suppliers will only pay for the work to be done once.

If it's structural issues you're having (leaky roof or delamination of side walls or suspension, you may indeed need to go ONLY to the dealer of that particular brand for repair work. Dealer C sure isn't going to get paid by dealer A for fixing a roof that was put on improperly by the manufacturer.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
http://www.rvbusiness.com/2014/10/grand-design-rv-implementing-owners-pledge-2/

Something to think about if someone's looking to buy from them. Can't remember how many times I've read on here about someone having trouble getting warranty work done by a different dealer.

This is the way it should be.

A nice PR Smoke and Mirrors - - "Gee Whiz Certificate".

What "should be" from *ANY* mfgr of *ANY* brand is *NOT* reality..:S

The Gee Whiz Certificate shouldn't influence a purchase decision..;)

~

gaflick
Explorer
Explorer
Picking up my new GD 27RL tomorrow. They have developed a very good reputation for how they address customer concerns. That was part of my selection process.
Gaf

USAFBILL
Explorer
Explorer
But it only states "while traveling", which does not solve the local dealers working on units not sold by them.....
2003 Cougar 285EFS
2000 Chev 2500 Ex Cab