cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

new water pump - now water filling tank??

Brad_NSW
Explorer
Explorer
Just put in a shurflow 4800. Now when I took up to city water, my tank fills and overflows and I get no water pressure.

The pump works great, super quiet, and great flow when I'm not on city water. Yes, the valve is turned to normal and not tank fill.

Any ideas?
USN Ret. 03Ram3500, 5.9CTD, 5spd, SRW, ATS filter, S&B Intake, IssPro (Pyro, Boost, Fuel, Trans & R Dif) SMARTY SR, Prodigy Controller, AirDog 100. 09Montana 3665RE 5er, 6 TST Tire monitors. Pakbrake Ex brake & airbags, 12' Baltik inflatable w/3.3HP OBM
10 REPLIES 10

Bmach
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it is a known trouble spot, why not install the chech valve as a safe guard?

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Planning wrote:
laknox wrote:
Brad NSW wrote:
Thanks PLANNING. Parts on order. Looks like an easy fix and bad check valve makes sense.

If you've got a NEW pump that's backflowing, why wouldn't you warrant it for another one, that works correctly, instead of bandaiding the defective one? :h

Lyle

Because the Shurflo check valve is an historical single-point-of-failure, and a dedicated check valve is a more positive remedy not requiring repetitive repair.

No matter. A new, and properly functioning pump is what was paid for and what should be delivered. If it fails later, then install the other valve.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Planning
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
Brad NSW wrote:
Thanks PLANNING. Parts on order. Looks like an easy fix and bad check valve makes sense.

If you've got a NEW pump that's backflowing, why wouldn't you warrant it for another one, that works correctly, instead of bandaiding the defective one? :h

Lyle

Because the Shurflo check valve is an historical single-point-of-failure, and a dedicated check valve is a more positive remedy not requiring repetitive repair.
2016 AF 29-5K; 2016 F350 6.7, 4x4, CCLB DRW

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Brad NSW wrote:

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

Brad_NSW
Explorer
Explorer
USN Ret. 03Ram3500, 5.9CTD, 5spd, SRW, ATS filter, S&B Intake, IssPro (Pyro, Boost, Fuel, Trans & R Dif) SMARTY SR, Prodigy Controller, AirDog 100. 09Montana 3665RE 5er, 6 TST Tire monitors. Pakbrake Ex brake & airbags, 12' Baltik inflatable w/3.3HP OBM

Planning
Explorer
Explorer
Brad NSW wrote:
Just put in a shurflow 4800. Now when I took up to city water, my tank fills and overflows and I get no water pressure.

The pump works great, super quiet, and great flow when I'm not on city water. Yes, the valve is turned to normal and not tank fill.

Any ideas?

More than likely the checkvalve in the pump is bad. This is very common and a repetitive issue with Shurflo pumps.

Install this on the discharge hose coming out of the pump:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EDUTN6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This model is good quality with metal (not plastic) internals.

You might need adapters to place this in line with your hose; the Shurflo pump connections are specific to those fittings so just cutting the hose and "barbing these in is easiest.

adapters like these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BPECSK/?coliid=I1FX1IZI2CSVX1&colid=32BP8LZDSEKI7&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
2016 AF 29-5K; 2016 F350 6.7, 4x4, CCLB DRW

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
12th Man Fan wrote:
If you have all of the fill valves in the correct position then you have a bad check valve in the pump. Some debris may be the cause.

x2 on the check valve on the pump.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
Call Shurflo - we also got a bad pump and they sent me a new one that worked.

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

12th_Man_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
If you have all of the fill valves in the correct position then you have a bad check valve in the pump. Some debris may be the cause.
2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
You stated.....
On city water but no pressure inside...fresh water tank overflowing

Check your valving......something is not set up correctly
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31