cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie Looking for a New 5ver

mallardtuff
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2013 F-250 supercrew 4x4 SRW, GVWR-10,000#. Put it on the scales, weighs 8,280#, that's with full tank of diesel, 2 adults, 2 kids, and 3 overnight bags. Looking for a new 5th wheel, budget is under $50,000. Pretty disappointing to realize to stay within the 10k GVWR limit I need to be looking at half ton towables. All my looking right now is on the net, and I'm having to use posted dry hitch and trailer weights by the manufacturers. Seems to me after I get a hitch (125-150#'s), I only will have about 1,600#'s for hitch weight. Couple of questions.
1) how strict is law enforcement on the 10,000GVWR limit, all towing will be in the U.S.?
2) what hitch weight can this kind of vehicle take, before there are issues? (with tires, axles, suspension parts)
3) what dry hitch weights would you recommend I be looking at and still tow safely? (I understand dry weights aren't anywhere close to actual)

I know there are a lot of people towing more than the 10,000GVWR with SRW 3/4 ton trucks. I probably saw 20 just this weekend, people towing 37-40' 5vers with a SRW 4x4 loaded out 3/4ton trucks. Any info would be great. I like some of the bunk house models, the dry hitch weights run between 1800-2050#'s.
20 REPLIES 20

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
You can also use the RAWR. Some do some don't. My Ram comes with a tire limited 6000lb GRAWR. A 2176lb CCC rating. With the 17-1800lb pin in the bed my RAW is 4900lbs and that's with 50+gals of combined black/grey tanks in front of the 5'er axles. Still 1100lbs under the GRAWR. My GVW is only 9600lbs. FAW is 4900lbs also for a combined 9800lbs. 200lbs over the trucks GVW. Not concerned in the least. Ram 2500 is the same as a 3500 for 2012. Only diff is rear springs. Problem with 3/4 tons is once you option them out you really drop the GVW. Unfortunately you are limited to the size of the 5'er using the GVW. But from observing what's being pulled in CG's the last few years, not many 3/4 ton owners are overly concerned as I see lots of them with far bigger 5'ers than we own.

Joe_Rochelle
Explorer
Explorer
The GVWR is truck + payload. What you are really interested in is the GCVWR which is truck + payload/towable. With that truck the GCVR is 23500 according to the website. So, 23500 - 8280 = 15220 as the weight of your trailer. However, don't forget the weight of passengers etc. Still, you can find some pretty respectable trailers in that weight range. Also keep in mind that you are unlikely to max out the weight of your trailer under normal camping conditions, but you should check that out too. 🙂

joe
Joe & Rochelle
Carly the Black Lab mix
Sadie the Brittany Spaniel (?) mix
2008 F250 Crew cab
2010 Laredo 266RL

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Forget the Dry/Brochure weights. Take the Gross (dry plus cargo) and take 20% of that for a ball park figure on pin weights. Not exact, but a better starting point than Dry weight numbers. Yes you'll see many rigs on the road that should have never left the Dealers lot, that's a big problem with 3/4 and 1 ton SRW TVs, they don't have the cargo cap to carry the pin weight of bigger 5er.. Also remember, Air Bags will not increase you're cargo cap, only bring the back up level after the squat from the pin weight.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

scotjima
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2008 F250 and now have a 2011 F350 SRW. I needed firestone air springs on the 250, but also ended up with them on the 350. The 350 needs them to smooth out the ride and the 250 needed them for levelling. Both trucks pulled the same 5th wheel which weighs about 12k loaded. I have no idea what the actual hitch weight is. My point is that I would put air bags on your truck and be reasonable with the 5th wheel you choose. I would not stress over a few hundred pounds.

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
hawkman541 wrote:
I think you have your GVWR wrong for the F250. Its more like 15k or more for towing a fifth wheel. Most lightweight 5th Wheels weigh more than 10 or 11k. You have each wheel weights, the truck bed max gross weight, the rear wheel weight, and a towing weight.

Look in the Good Sam's towing book that comes out every year. Its online. Look up your model and make your own determination. Good
Luck

No, he's saying his tow vehicle has a GVWR of 10,000 pounds. Nothing stating what he can tow as far as fifth wheels go.

No advice to give on my part, but you are certainly starting correctly. Knowing what your vehicle weighs and what range of hitch pin weights you can handle is a step in the right direction.

Also be aware most of the folks you see towing don't have the first clue as to how to match a truck with a fifth wheel. They just do it because they are lucky and don't know any better. Besides, the RV salesman said my truck could pull this one! LOL, the worlds biggest lie.

Stay on the right path, keep the hitch weight in mind. Remember that 8,280 pounds is partially carried by two rear tires that have a max weight limit too. With a 60/40 split on weight, that means there is already 3,312 pounds on those two tires. What their max weight rating, something else you should know.

I guess there is one bit of advice I could offer. Find a fifth wheel with tires as close to the size you run on the truck as possible. In other words, don't go with 15 inch tires on a fifth wheel. Find 16 inch if possible at the least for fifth wheel tire size. It'll be much more level when you do hook up.
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

hawkman541
Explorer
Explorer
I think you have your GVWR wrong for the F250. Its more like 15k or more for towing a fifth wheel. Most lightweight 5th Wheels weigh more than 10 or 11k. You have each wheel weights, the truck bed max gross weight, the rear wheel weight, and a towing weight.

Look in the Good Sam's towing book that comes out every year. Its online. Look up your model and make your own determination. Good Luck
2002 Ford F-450 Crew Cab
2013 Heartland Landmark San Antonio
Frank-10lb. Chihuahua