Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newbie.. Opinions needed

lawandorder815
Explorer
Explorer
Good evening,

My wife and I are looking into purchasing a Fifth wheel in order to live in for the next 9 months including winter months from what it looks like. We have purchased property and are in the process of building a house in Saratoga County New York . I wanted to know what brands are better than others as far as four season use etc.. We have looked at several Jayco models and a few other brands whose name escapes me at this point. Anyway there is so much information online I've become entirely overwhelmed on brands etc. We have two kids 14 and 10 and would be looking to purchase a model with bunks for the kids and a half bath if possilble. All thoughts welcome. Thanks for your help and insight.
20 REPLIES 20

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
4 people living for 9 months in an RV, potentially through REAL winter. And you haven't said you've spent as much as a weekend camping together in such confined space. That's a serious challenge on top of whatever issues you have with the house building process.

And if you don't already have a tow vehicle capable of hauling a fiver, why not subtract the rent budget from the fiver budget and buy a nice bunkhouse TT for your waterfront property after your home is built?

I've seen multiple threads like this where forum members express sincere concern for newbies who haven't RV'd and want to use one instead of an apartment through winter. There were enough house-based CO deaths reported over this past winter to justify those concerns. And I don't think this thread has even started onto the condensation management challenge you'll have with that many people.
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
lawandorder815 wrote:
Thanks of all the great info. We still aren't sure what were doing. We had planned on getting a 500 or 1000 gal propane tank as we will be using propane at the house any way so we could tie into that. DRV are nice units but are way $$$. we have thought about renting but most 3 bedroom apt to rent where we are would be at minimum 1500/month plus security etc and most have 12 month leases which we wouldn't need. so our theory was to get what we needed in an RV to use on our other property on waterfront and use whatever rent money we would be throwing away into the RV then continue to pay it off as its moved upstate. We aren't fond of just throwing a lot of $$ out the window renting. Any thoughts on Open Range 3x?? They seem to be little better at winter packages than maybe Jayco but i see Jayco has purchased them.

You are looking at living in a 280 sq. ft. RV but talk about rental cost for 3 bedroom apt...........:H

Living FT in the winter in a RV is not cheap and comes with it's own set of issues.
Might end up spending more time dealing with RV issues and not build house.

Good luck!
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
lawandorder815 wrote:
DRV are nice units but are way $$$.

Take a look at some of the used 5th wheels on THIS website. For your purposes and as critical as 4-season capability is to you, I'd consider a used full-time 4-season 5th wheel over a new lesser unit for the same (or less) money. JMHO - your money, your choice.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

lawandorder815
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks of all the great info. We still aren't sure what were doing. We had planned on getting a 500 or 1000 gal propane tank as we will be using propane at the house any way so we could tie into that. DRV are nice units but are way $$$. we have thought about renting but most 3 bedroom apt to rent where we are would be at minimum 1500/month plus security etc and most have 12 month leases which we wouldn't need. so our theory was to get what we needed in an RV to use on our other property on waterfront and use whatever rent money we would be throwing away into the RV then continue to pay it off as its moved upstate. We aren't fond of just throwing a lot of $$ out the window renting. Any thoughts on Open Range 3x?? They seem to be little better at winter packages than maybe Jayco but i see Jayco has purchased them.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
laknox wrote:
B.O. Plenty wrote:
The number of 5th wheels that will work in frigid temps can be counted on only a few fingers. Buy a mobile home instead and give yourself a fighting chance of survival.

B.O.

I was thinking the same thing; a park model, at minimum. Don't waste time on a 100 gal propane tank. Go 500 or even 1,000 gal. It doesn't take much ice on even a shallow grade to keep that delivery truck from getting to you, and having that extra fuel could literally be life-saving. You'll also pay less the more they deliver. Even with skirting, put a couple 100 watt bulbs underneath to keep pipes warm. Don't forget that on a FW, that overhang in the front opens up a =lot= of surface area that will bleed warmth, no matter how well insulated.

Lyle
I will have to agree Rv's are built for moderate temp condition's. There is a person BOBSYOURUNCLE that describes what's like to winter in a RV. RV's have 2" thick walls other the DRV that has 3" walls.

If you need to live on site a Mobil home with a furnace and a 500 gallon propane tank. This will still be cold compared to a house but livable. If you don't have to be on site rent a apartment.

soos
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you DO end up buying a 5th wheel, some brands to consider are
Teton, NuWa HitchHiker, Excel, Lifestyles, Carriage and DRV.
Those are some of the higher end, better built units, IMO. Some are out of business so you need to look at used, but " out of business" doesn't mean they weren't a quality unit.

No Fifth wheel is really great at surviving bitter cold but those would be the best. I would Not put Jayco in the same category.

As mentioned, look into winter RV living and see what works for others, and I would look at fulltiming forums such as Escapees, you'll get info from more people who live in their RVs full time.
Sue
soos-ontheroad.blogspot.com
Fulltiming since 2009
2012 Mobile Suites 36 TKSB4 pulled by a
2011 Ford F450
2005 Lance 1181 TC- our Vacation Home

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Personally........

Living in an RV in cold winter temps is doable. BTDT

If had to do it over.........I'd rent an apartment.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
B.O. Plenty wrote:
The number of 5th wheels that will work in frigid temps can be counted on only a few fingers. Buy a mobile home instead and give yourself a fighting chance of survival.

B.O.

I was thinking the same thing; a park model, at minimum. Don't waste time on a 100 gal propane tank. Go 500 or even 1,000 gal. It doesn't take much ice on even a shallow grade to keep that delivery truck from getting to you, and having that extra fuel could literally be life-saving. You'll also pay less the more they deliver. Even with skirting, put a couple 100 watt bulbs underneath to keep pipes warm. Don't forget that on a FW, that overhang in the front opens up a =lot= of surface area that will bleed warmth, no matter how well insulated.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

rmalik1
Explorer
Explorer
if u can afford DRV, Augusta RV or Lifestyle - They have 3 full inches of insulation in sidewalls. Most other have 2 inches like my Cedar Creek which I spent at -33 degrees in.
2012 Cedar Creek 36RE w/ Level Up
B&W Turnover w/ 18k Companion Hitch
08 Ford 350 Lariat DW PSD Crew Cab Long Bed 4:30

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
Just to provide you with some more information in your comparison shopping search, if you scroll to the bottom of the linked page below, there's a lot of detail on a full-time, 4-season approach to 5th wheel insulation.

DRV Mobile Suites Construction

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

lawandorder815
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all replies so far. Im a bit overwhelmed. I am hoping that having it tied to house septic system and water will help ease the pain at least. I was on the fence regarding double pane windows but think its probably a smart idea if its really going to be used over winter. I just want to plan ahead to make sure i don't get caught with building issues on the house that force us to go longer into the winter than we may plan for. I have done some research on Jayco but haven't seen a lot of negative comments on their insulation. I did find a Highland Ridge RV open range 3x that seems to have more insulation and winter options so i may start looking for pricing those out to see where i can even get one.

rmalik1
Explorer
Explorer
All these people telling u it's impossible at minus 10 is hogwash. Yes propane is costly - lease/rent a large tank 100 gal. Buy a couple small space heaters 1500 watt. Need heated water supply and heated hose, skirt the RV, I've a dehumidifier which cuts down on moisture, and it will get chilly at times so I wore sweats and slippers. U also have to dump ur grey and black tanks - hope u know that?

rmalik1
Explorer
Explorer
I have overwintered in my Cedar Creek w/ temp down to air temp at -33, how to winter camp (topic) isn't what u requested at this time. I have stayed in fracker's campgrounds and these guys live in all types of RV's while near their job site. From the smallest TT to Class A diesel pushers. Buy the best RV that u can afford w/ the most insulation and 2 pane windows. Then check out how to winter camp in a RV.