cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newbie question about retracting all the legs

Fnp5150
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought my first 5th wheel a month ago after a few years with a TT. My question is, can I retract all the legs without being hooked to my truck? Will it balance just on the wheels, or will the nose come crashing down? Reason I ask is that my auto level system has an error that will require me to retract all legs as part of the reset procedure.
13 REPLIES 13

edbehnke
Explorer
Explorer
NO!
eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
Ford F350 2015

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
If you are trying to set the LCI zero point or level, follow these instructions. No need to raise jacks much at all.LCI zero point.

djousma
Explorer
Explorer
topjimmy wrote:
I am not sure if the people that said No have ever had auto-level:h ,my last 2 5er's have had it and YES you can I have done it Many times

yea, you can. just means that the front is all the way down. no big deal.
Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
2017 Forest River Cardinal 3850RL

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
I am not sure if the people that said No have ever had auto-level:h ,my last 2 5er's have had it and YES you can I have done it Many times
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Fnp5150 wrote:
Just bought my first 5th wheel a month ago after a few years with a TT. My question is, can I retract all the legs without being hooked to my truck? Will it balance just on the wheels, or will the nose come crashing down? Reason I ask is that my auto level system has an error that will require me to retract all legs as part of the reset procedure.

A suggestion, since you're going to be working on the front jacks, get a marker and mark the stop point on BOTH ends of the jack stroke. I know that an auto-level system =should= stop automagically, but the key word here is "should". I've seen more than one FW with yellow and red paint or tape on the jacks as warnings, especially with manual jacks.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
If I'm not mistaken, my auto leveler will stop the downward motion of the nose if the angle is too much from level.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Hoppy220
Explorer
Explorer
sammytoo wrote:
It will not "crash to the ground" it will simply lower the front as low as the jacks will allow.

X2

As long as there is nothing on the ground under the nose between the front landing gear the bottom of the camper will never touch the ground. Legs will simply retract all the way nose will be a couple inches off ground. Then simply extend legs to raise the nose. No crane, forklift, nothing.

sammytoo
Explorer
Explorer
It will not "crash to the ground" it will simply lower the front as low as the jacks will allow.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
The master panel in the trailer should have a reset control. I used it frequently when I first got the trailer and was trying to learn how and when to use the jack features. It did not require being on the truck to reset.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Fnp5150 wrote:
Thank you. I can use my truck, just would have been a 1 minute procedure without having to do so.

NO
W/O truck it would have turned into an ALL DAY job requiring a fork lift, backhoe, bucket loader, tow truck with crane etc to lift front end up off the ground.....course then would come the repairs to front cap, overhang and possibly interior from crushed nose

Front jacks carry the same/more weight as king pin does
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Fnp5150
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you. I can use my truck, just would have been a 1 minute procedure without having to do so.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Well.....think about this for just a second.....please.

When you drive the truck under the hitch and retract the legs or jacks.......what happens ??

Does the nose of the RV fall until it hits the hitch ??
If the hitch is not there, do you think it might just KEEP falling.....just maybe ??

I certainly think that is what probably will happen.
And I absolutely would NOT want to test it and find out.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
Crash. The wheels are not centered to the load. If a truck is not available, use jack stands.