cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

No Juice

jrs1871
Explorer
Explorer
This morning I went out to clean the trailer and I have no power. We have a Progressive Industries surge protector/power monitor in it and it shows no error code and voltage coming in to it is good. But there is nothing downstream from there. I flipped the breakers and check the fuses; no problems noted. Is there an in line fuse somewhere or could a CGFI outlet be the culprit?
11 REPLIES 11

jrs1871
Explorer
Explorer
Well the problem is solved. I replaced the GFI outlet in the bathroom and we have AC power again. I realize that not all trailers are configured as ours, but if you lose power the GFI outlets are something to check. Needless to say, we will add a 20 amp GFI outlet to our stock of repair parts. We may never need it, but I don't want to go through this hassle again.

jrs1871
Explorer
Explorer
John, the twelve volt system works fine. There is no AC power. As unusual as it seems, the bathroom GFI appears to shut down the entire AC system. I will replace that outlet today and see if it solves the problem. Since the power works for a few seconds when I reset that outlet, it does seem likely that the outlet is the culprit.

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
Are you saying one GFI powers the whole trailer? The way you posted your problem is that is what is going on plus a dead battery as none of the 12v lights work either. My question is, does anything work in your trailer? More info would be helpful.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

Showme_5vr
Explorer
Explorer
Have you checked the exterior receptacles? Are they wet?
Steve & Judy 2023 RAM 3500 6.7L Cummins HO Crew Cab LWB, 2017 Grand Design Reflections 337RLS
Lifetime Good Sam Member

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
My bathroom GFI also feeds my refer ice maker and heating element.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

jjj
Explorer
Explorer
Just a thought. GFI's do get weak. I had to replace mine for the same problem. Try replacing it and see if that helps. Good luck.
2002 F-350 Crew-Cab Dually
V-10-4.30 gears Mag-Hytec diff.cover
w/Amsoil-6.0 trans cooler Curt Q5 20K hitch & bedsaver
2005 Keystone Challenger 34TBH-Fifth Airbourn

jrs1871
Explorer
Explorer
After thinking about it all afternoon, I went out this morning to do some more trouble shooting. I did find that the GFI outlet in the bathroom shuts off everything. It was tripped, I reset it, had power for a few seconds and it tripped again. So I started checking for loose connections. GFI's in kitchen and bathroom were all wired tight, wiring in breaker box was tight, all fuses were good, wiring from converter to breaker box was tight and wiring from surge protector to converter was tight. Checked the battery cables and connections and fuses in the front compartment, no problems. So far I can't find the problem but I am leaning toward a short or loose wire somewhere.
I need to get the slides out to see if there is another GFI outlet somewhere. Beyond that I am somewhat at a loss short of checking wiring to all outlets and fixtures. I was planning on getting a larger amp converter and I am still going to do that. But I don't know if that will help my current situation.

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Is there any way you can bypass the Progressive for a moment or two and see if power is restored. If so, it's the Progressive. Although the Progressive is not showing an error code (incoming power), there could be a problem with (outgoing power).

X2
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

janechucknicode
Explorer
Explorer
If it has sat for a lenght of time it may be a case of corroded wires or you may just ave a battery cable dirty.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Is there any way you can bypass the Progressive for a moment or two and see if power is restored. If so, it's the Progressive. Although the Progressive is not showing an error code (incoming power), there could be a problem with (outgoing power).

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
CGFI is a possibility depending on where it is in the circuit.

When I have this problem it's usually a breaker that is associated with the slider control unit and converter. It's a small inch and a half long black device with to wires connected. It has a micro switch to reset it. Then the power comes back.

Another possibility is the wiring for the converter. On mine a couple of times the wire nut for one of the incoming 120V lines came loose. This killed the power because the it didn't allow the 120V power to get to the receptacles.