cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Outlets on generator

Shaft0201
Explorer
Explorer
Great site and have really enjoyed it the last couple weeks since I got my toy hauler. My head hurts from all the knowledge on this site. My problem is..... I have a 2008 megalie extreme TT TH that’s 26’. It has a Onan 4K microquier gen. When I’m plugged into shore power everything works great, when I’m on the generator none of my outlets work because it instantly Trips my GFI by the sink. When I reset it, it instantly trips before I can even remove my finger. I have checked breakers in the trailer and the breaker on the generator and all is good. The plug that my shore power cord plugs into has 120v going to it, so I know the generator is pushing out power. Like I said EVERYTHING works perfect when on shore power. The only thing NOT working is my outlets while on generator power. Generator runs great. Any thoughts on this one? Thanks all, joey
16 REPLIES 16

George3037
Explorer
Explorer
I would guess the generator worked properly in the past. You'll need to check your generator wiring. Either the neutral or ground wire may be loose or disconnected causing an imbalance which trips the GFI. On shore power the house ground and neutral are bonded so the GFI works properly and doesn't trip.
Some generators have a floating neutral. There is a special plug made and sold that plugs into a generator outlet that bonds the neutral and ground. If you can't figure it out please take to a dealer so you don't get zapped.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Take it to the dealer.