cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ohio Turnpike cheats 5'ers

BC_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
I just discovered that the Ohio Turnpike charges a higher toll for a pickup truck towing a fifth wheel trailer than for a pickup truck towing a travel trailer. From one side of the state to the other the toll is $42.25 vs $35.75. Yes, both are too high. This doesn't seem right. Has anyone else noticed this?

The higher toll is not because of length or weight. I'm calling the Turnpike Commission of Monday to see who I can b*tch at.
42 REPLIES 42

Byrogie
Explorer
Explorer
BC Jim wrote:
Durb wrote:

I live in Vancouver, nothing like that here. Maybe in Vancouver, BC but I don't know. You could be referring to the Tacoma Narrows Bridge which has a relatively new span. I bought my trailer on the other side in Gig Harbor but had it towed to my house so I can't say.

Sorry, I was thinking about the Vancouver in Canada, eh?

Here's the link to the bridge in Canada.

https://www.treo.ca/

Don't think they charge out of province plates. I am from Alberta, crossed the bridge many times. Never got a bill.

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
Tolls, tell me about Tolls!!! We just returned from a 6200 mile trip. We spent about $150 on tolls total. That included Indiana, New York, Pennsylvania, Kansas and Ohio. Not sure if I missed any. But anyhow, my thought, my choice. In part the driving time, We saved about 500 miles and about 10 hours total on our trip. At about $2 per gallon for gas and just under 10 mpg, i think i broke even or came out ok. That is my take. The tolls, yes frustrating to do, but travel was acceptable, we kinda were stuck with them. We get them form now and then, but it is what it is and that is what it was. Good Luck & Be Safe ! ! !

Buckeye_Chuck
Explorer
Explorer
I like the Ohio Turnpike. I drive it from Indiana to Sandusky often. Rt.2 would be cheaper, but not as fast or as easy.
2012 F250 Lariat 6.5ft. bed, 6.2L, 3:73 Gears
2013 Sabre 33CKTS-6

BC_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
IHnutz wrote:
What is the charge for a slide-in truck camper??? :h

In Ohio it looks like a class 2 - high 2-axle vehicle if the camper is more than 7'6" high. $30.25 non-EZpass, $21.75 EZpass to cross the state.

lee_worsdell
Explorer
Explorer
i just paid 125 to travel the 407 in Toronto. Nothing new up here everything is over priced

kellertx5er
Explorer
Explorer
OH48Lt wrote:
The users of the OTP and many other toll roads who get screwed are the motorcycles. They pay the same rate as an F-250. 2 axles, weight less than 7000, no extra height. Ka-ching....

That's a penalty for the God-awful noise they make.
Keller TX
'19 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L
'09 Outback Sydney 321FRL 5er
SUPPORT TEXAS STATE PARKS

djousma
Explorer
Explorer
Memphisdoug wrote:
For anyone that does travel the toll roads that use the EZPass system - sign up for a transponder from the state of Massachusetts. It saves you money on the tolls and is completely free. You don't have to be a resident of the state or even travel there.

I did the same, but got it from Illinois - I-PASS. Free, just have to pre-load it with some money, that never expires. I-PASS is good on EZPASS roads too.
Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
2017 Forest River Cardinal 3850RL

IHnutz
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
It not the height of the trailer, it is the height over the 2nd axle (the rear axle of the tow vehicle).

What is the charge for a slide-in truck camper??? :h
2016 Sprinter 269FWRLS 33' 5th-wheel
2008 Ford F350 Lariat Crew-Cab
1954 IH R-112
1955 IH R132
1965 IH D1100
1954 IH Farmall Super M
Amateur "General Class" WD9GLK

DReisinger
Explorer
Explorer
Taxes and fees are high in Ohio, that is one reason I moved to Florida

BC_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Durb wrote:

I live in Vancouver, nothing like that here. Maybe in Vancouver, BC but I don't know. You could be referring to the Tacoma Narrows Bridge which has a relatively new span. I bought my trailer on the other side in Gig Harbor but had it towed to my house so I can't say.

Sorry, I was thinking about the Vancouver in Canada, eh?

Here's the link to the bridge in Canada.

https://www.treo.ca/

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
BC Jim wrote:
Durb wrote:
Man, I sure hope toll roads never make it to the Northwest. I know our gas taxes are high to compensate but the thought of being nicked whenever I leave the house really bothers me. I guess ignorance is bliss. We do have some toll bridges but they are minimal. I'm thinking that if it cost $140 to cross the state I probably wouldn't go.

Watch out if you go to Vancouver. There's a new bridge that takes your license plate number. If you don't get on the website and send the money in within a week, you get sent a bill for the toll plus a extra fee. You can prepay. Sorry I don't remember the name of the bridge.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Durb wrote:
Man, I sure hope toll roads never make it to the Northwest. I know our gas taxes are high to compensate but the thought of being nicked whenever I leave the house really bothers me. I guess ignorance is bliss. We do have some toll bridges but they are minimal. I'm thinking that if it cost $140 to cross the state I probably wouldn't go.

Think about it, get rid of the fuel tax and go to a mileage or mileage/weight based usage charge would equally tax and charge electric and hybrid vehicles!
Think about it, at 50 cents a gallon, worst I get with the 5er is 10 mpg, so paying 5 cents a mile in tax.
Now many would freak out as you would need something to track mileage be it GPS or strictly registered mileage reading from the vehicle.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
Every one knows that a taller unit has more air friction. You heat the air more than a TT and then it cost them more to cool the air back down.

Now if we can charge the politicians for the excess hot air they put out we can really cut taxes.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

BC_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Durb wrote:

Watch out if you go to Vancouver. There's a new bridge that takes your license plate number. If you don't get on the website and send the money in within a week, you get sent a bill for the toll plus a extra fee. You can prepay. Sorry I don't remember the name of the bridge.