cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

oil temp hit 260 degrees , whats the best synethic oil

Hobo2
Explorer
Explorer
Towing my DRV up and past Vail ,CO. on I70 east my oil temp hit 260 degrees, transmission never went over 209 degrees. How hot can the oil get. Whats the best oil for heavy towing.2016 f350 dually
31 REPLIES 31

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
What does your Ford dealer have to say about those numbers? Or ask Fish.

What oil do you use?

chevman Rotella 5/40 full synthetic for our chebby
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
1950panman wrote:
2005 ram 3500, cummings i have not change the oil yet, just bought this truck with 72,000 miles it does have.... 15 40.. on the sticker for next change,,,any similar commits>? lane ty in advance

Stick to 15-40, AMZ/OIL still sells the non LE Diesel Marine 15-40. I used to run 10k in my 98 12V with FleetGuard Stratapore filter every 5K. Blackstone said I could go longer.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

1950panman
Explorer
Explorer
2005 ram 3500, cummings i have not change the oil yet, just bought this truck with 72,000 miles it does have.... 15 40.. on the sticker for next change,,,any similar commits>? lane ty in advance

Gearitis
Explorer
Explorer
Motorcraft 10w30 Diesel Oil synthetic blend is not CK-4 spec. And according to Ford and their official statement, do NOT use CK-4 in Powerstrokes, new or old as CJ-4 give better lubrication.

Clicky
2015 F-350 King Ranch
2015 Sabre Silhouette Select 312RKDS

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
What does your Ford dealer have to say about those numbers? Or ask Fish.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Puddles wrote:
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Motorcraft Super Duty 10W-30 Diesel Engine Oil is sold at Walmart for under $20. It is API certified CK-4.

Even the old non-synthetic transmission fluid was good for over 250F.

Did you mean CJ4 ?

Nope. CK-4 is the "top of the heap" for diesel oil at the moment.

API Service Category CK-4 describes oils for use in high-speed four-stroke cycle diesel engines designed to meet 2017 model year on-highway and Tier 4 non-road exhaust emission standards as well as for previous model year diesel engines.
API CK-4 oils exceed the performance criteria of API CJ-4, CI-4 with CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, and CH-4 and can effectively lubricate engines calling for those API Service Categories.

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
The โ€œbestโ€ synthetic motor oil is subjective.
However, being that you have asked the question, the correct answer is Amsoil Signature Max Duty 5W40 Diesel motor oil. Iโ€™ve used Amsoil synthetic lubricants and their filters since 1976.
Hereโ€™s a link to their Signature 5W40 Diesel oil.
Amsoil Signature Seies Max Duty Synthetic Diesel Oil 5W40
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo

Puddles
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Motorcraft Super Duty 10W-30 Diesel Engine Oil is sold at Walmart for under $20. It is API certified CK-4.

Did you mean CJ4 ?
HTML

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
DIESEL MOTOR OILS MEETING FORD WSS-M2C171-F1

There are several full synthetic oils on the list that meet Fordโ€™s specifications for your engine.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I call 260 the high end of normal and while I recommend synthetic for all motors I would not get too worked up about it. Not enough to get an oil cooler anyway.

Fulltimer50
Explorer
Explorer
You should know that not all oils are Ford approved and making modifications to your engine can be of concern if you engine is still under warranty. You pulled one of the hardest pulls in the country with a large load. I wouldn't get to carried away based on that one pull.
You didn't mention your engine, but the diesel is a beast, well suited for towing heavy loads.
George

2011 F350 PSD CC LB 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41RSSB4 5th Wheel

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
What RPM were you pulling? If you happen to be lugging the motor it will get hot. Best thing you could have done then is change gears and let the motor rev. Turn off your AC also to help reduce load. All motor oils are made to a certain standard so brand is kind of irrelivant. Your owners manual spells out the correct oil spec for your motor. It generally also gives grade recomendations for normal and extreme conditions. When summer towing fill to the extreme specs and go.

Hobo2
Explorer
Explorer
were on flat land now. plan on getting oil changed in the next couple days. Be in one spot couple months looking into a after market oil cooler. TRAVELINGMAN I heard the fan kick in.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
What you should do is call the oil manufactures and talk to their engineers.

The Nodwell track rig that appears in my tag line below has a 453 Detroit in it that gets very hot when traveling through miles of mud up to the front bumper. I have a separate oil temperature gauge on it.

I called and talked to the Mobile 1 engineers. They said the engine oil could handle 250F without any problems, BUT if it went up to 290F for more than five minutes, that it would ruin the oil and it should be changed. This was several years ago, but again, call and talk to the mfg's engineers.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.