cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OK to tow TH with slides open?

RedJeep
Explorer
Explorer
Just finished the 4th of July parade in Hillsboro, Oregon. Lots of fun. Kids were on a farm trailer tossing candy. Idea struck me that I could brace the garage ramp of my 5th wheel TH as a platform and let several kids stand on it and toss candy. I see two issues and was wondering if anyone has tried this out before. 1) advice and experiences with bracing ramp. 2) driving with the slides extended. Top speed is a walking pace.

Anyone tried this before?
2008 Georgetown DS350 Class A
Wife, kids, dog and cat
24 REPLIES 24

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
stro1965 wrote:
Deleted

x2
bumpy

stro1965
Explorer
Explorer
Deleted
2018 Ram DRW 3500 6.7
2019 Keystone Alpine 3021

bkirkpatrick
Explorer
Explorer
I am sure your insurance company won't have a problem with it either.

jesseannie
Explorer
Explorer
I think it sounds like a great idea. Decorate the trailer with lights and patriot displays. I was at a small town parade yesterday and a rig like yours would have fit in perfectly.
But throw some good candy I got tired of sour apple jolly ranchers. You can cook inside while you are traveling and give out hot dogs. one unit in our parade did that.
Better yet set up a patriotic display with your kids dressed as 1776 minutemen and statesmen,
Go for have fun what the hey!

alligato
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP, there is a wealth of technical information on this site but to ask a question like that here is suicide. Safety police will swarm on you with extreme prejudice. If you want my advice stay inside, lock your doors and let the government do all the thinking for you.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
jrp wrote:
I don't care what kind of support, railing, speed, or how many parents are following; this idea in any form fits the legal definition of a negligent act. t

reminds me of an incident I saw years ago. a woman was driving a GM station wagon, about a 75 with the clam shell rear window and tailgate open carrying a child lying down on the plastic/metal slick as snot on a doorknob, floor. she took a turn and the kid slid down the floor and out the open door onto the pavement. kid wasn't hurt but I hope he/she told daddy about the incident.
bumpy

jrp
Explorer
Explorer
I don't care what kind of support, railing, speed, or how many parents are following; this idea in any form fits the legal definition of a negligent act.

I've only got one suggestion; call your insurance agent and describe this plan and ask if your liability coverage protects you from your own intentional negligence; that is if they don't immediately cancel your policy.

sorry that's not the answer you're looking for, but giving you "structural" suggestions would just add me to your future law suit
Jim

dedmiston
I love this topic is much more than "tire threads".

This is why the terrorists hate us. 'Merica.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

RedJeep
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
RedJeep wrote:
To keep the postings on topic let's suppose that I have railings around the ramp, moms walking directly behind trailer and a top speed of 3mph.
Bet you'll never ask a question like that again!

Oh yeah.:B
2008 Georgetown DS350 Class A
Wife, kids, dog and cat

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
2008Wildcat wrote:
It will be fine.....

We move units around the lot all the time with the slides out. The biggest concern is that you can't see around the slides, and it will be wide to make corners.

sure, you move them around the lot for blocks on end, with kids sitting, playing, throwing from the rear deck.
bumpy

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
RedJeep wrote:
To keep the postings on topic let's suppose that I have railings around the ramp, moms walking directly behind trailer and a top speed of 3mph.
Bet you'll never ask a question like that again!
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Body swing of the big ol' tailgate would have the curb-sitters scrambling...

Kids hanging on doing 35 mph through the swing...

Candy everyplace...

Dogs barking....

breathless news reporter talking about today's near disaster...

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
another reason I have never bought a used RV. as the blue collar guy sez, you can't fix...............
bumpy

2008Wildcat
Explorer
Explorer
It will be fine.....

We move units around the lot all the time with the slides out. The biggest concern is that you can't see around the slides, and it will be wide to make corners.

The patio kits that are on some toyhaulers are simply cables attached to the door and door frame.

Do it if you want to.....
2013 Columbus 320RS
2011 RAM 3500 Outdoorsman SRW 6.7 Cummins- tweaked!