cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Onan 5500 won't crank

Madhatter1
Explorer
Explorer
I was cleaning out carb and priming fuel line to try and get genny running. cranked it a lot. Finally got good fuel in the carb and it started but ran at low RPM and stalled. Next thing it would not crank or even click. No error codes. Batteries are good. Fuel pump runs. Any Ideas? Almost like I blew a fuse but I can't find any and manual doesn't say there are any.
7 REPLIES 7

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
Check your oil level.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

SFVdave
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps the starter is stuck or it's at a level in compression stroke where starter can't move it. Read on forum where they grab fan and turn it to move flywheel. Suggest you do a search on Onan. Do so at your own risk!

Madhatter1
Explorer
Explorer
Have power to the start switch. Guess I fried the starter. Can this be changed without removing the generator? Everything is buried under the sound shield.

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
If you cranked it ALOT, you probably fried the starter.
Agree with above, even if you fried the started, you should still have power to the start button. Try toggling the start button to the prime location. If you hear your fuel pump priming, then you fried the starter. If not, fuse somewhere.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

Bedlam
My Weekend Warrior had a dedicated line off the battery banks that was fused to the remote start switch. If this is your problem, the start button on the unit should still work.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure about toyhaulers but std rigs should have fuse or auto reset breaker near battery - when that goes everything that relies on the battery goes with it. Worth a look. Your generator has fuse but I think that's on the AC side of things and your problem appears to be a DC issue.
Kevin

big_buford
Explorer
Explorer
Use a test light to check for power at solenoid terminal. If you have voltage there probably fried the starter by not letting it cool off after extended cranking.

Can try lightly tapping on solenoid and motor housing with hammer before throwing in the towel.
04.5 GMC 2500HD D/A
06 38 CKS Dune Chaser
Chenowth 4-seat 3.5 honda
15 maverick xds
Beautiful wife that's much nicer than me:B