cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One Butt Kitchens

travelrider73
Explorer
Explorer
My DW and I are not sure whether or not we'd be OK with a floorplan that had what I am referring to as the One Butt Kitchen - meaning only one person is getting in there at a time...

Example:

Who of you has one of these or has had one of these types of kitchens and do you like it, dislike it? Share your story to help us make up our mind whether to nix coaches with this kitchen plan.

Thanks!
58 REPLIES 58

Toolguy5
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a chapparal with a similar lay out. It is not a problem with only one butt. Most of the cabinets you can get to from the other side. It's only the stove and front part of sink that is one person.

Dan
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Veebyes,

So true on the fuel use!

A couple of our twin 454 cu in gas engined larger cabined power boats would gobble about 3/4 gallon/mile but they would be on plane and going around 26-30 knots. That was before the fuel hit $2.00+ a gallon though at the Marinas. By contrast, our very heavy wide 34' Catalina had a 25 hp 3 cyl diesel and merely sipped fuel as it wouldn't go over 8.3 knots (hull speed) with the iron genny full bore. I know you understand displacement hulls. We're a rare breed as we like and had both stinkpots and rag hangers at the same time. Only live once! Wife's disability and 18 operations wont let her heel any more or be whipped side to side on the bridge so no more sailboats or high boats now. Just low to the water and she does fine as long as I don't let the boat pound. Do what ya gotta do!

On the 65' boat in the pic: I figured there was more or that the 65' boat was used for mostly day cruising with customers and has a huge salon. It's normal for salt water boats to laid out quite differently than the same sized pleasure boats built for the Great lakes use.

Need a Captain to pilot a 65' long vessel and that alone is why many owners on the Great Lakes stay just under 65' as they want to pilot their own vessel. However there are gobs of the 65' to 100'+ private vessels on the Great lakes and many right where we live.
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
ChopperBill wrote:
Atom Ant wrote:
travelnutz wrote:
One reason we detest one butt kicthens is we both LOVE to cook and are very good at it. Sometimes I make the meals and sometimes she makes the meals when she feels up to it. The rest of the time we make the great meals together and you can't do that in a one butt kitchen. We love cooking together as we are very close like teenagers in "love" (and we are!) still at 72 and learn from each other, help eachother, and create very special meals working together.

My specialty is mainly main dishes with meat, pasta, taters, casseroles, stirfrys, preparing/grilling, and the seasonings of as it comes natural to me. Hers is veggies, salads, desserts/baking of lots of things, pies, gourmet grilled sandwich type items, etc. We worked together in the kitchen/galley all our married life in the home, RV, and our cabined boats and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Yes, I do help clean dishes and vacuum or do them myself like doing the laundry when home as I'm 50% of our relationship and so many males forget this! I'm so happy to do every bit of my part and more in our marriage. I'd much rather give 75% than only 25% as that sucks and the needs constantly differ and are not defined at 50/50.

Sure helps keep us together and very very happy to be married! No wonder so many couples can't be happy together as they don't seem to understand what "together" means!

Probably a little more information than anyone needed - but OK.

Clearly if you were that wonderful in the kitchen with your wife, you would have already realized that togetherness means one of you on both sides of the counter offered by an island kitchen or butt rubbing kitchen, facing each other and working hand it hand over a common counter. You just can't get that kind of closeness in a perimeter kitchen.

Pretty snotty reply to I thought was a pretty heart warming post.
Made me gag and about 10 miles off topic, but its ok if it warmed your heart.
2008 Ford F350 2014 Redwood 36RL - Our Rig
Onan 5500, Splendide Ariston W/D, 8K axles, disk brakes, G614s, tri-glide pin box,
6-pt leveling, dual heat pump, dual awnings, Trav'ler SK-1000 Dish

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Atom Ant wrote:
travelnutz wrote:
One reason we detest one butt kicthens is we both LOVE to cook and are very good at it. Sometimes I make the meals and sometimes she makes the meals when she feels up to it. The rest of the time we make the great meals together and you can't do that in a one butt kitchen. We love cooking together as we are very close like teenagers in "love" (and we are!) still at 72 and learn from each other, help eachother, and create very special meals working together.

My specialty is mainly main dishes with meat, pasta, taters, casseroles, stirfrys, preparing/grilling, and the seasonings of as it comes natural to me. Hers is veggies, salads, desserts/baking of lots of things, pies, gourmet grilled sandwich type items, etc. We worked together in the kitchen/galley all our married life in the home, RV, and our cabined boats and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Yes, I do help clean dishes and vacuum or do them myself like doing the laundry when home as I'm 50% of our relationship and so many males forget this! I'm so happy to do every bit of my part and more in our marriage. I'd much rather give 75% than only 25% as that sucks and the needs constantly differ and are not defined at 50/50.

Sure helps keep us together and very very happy to be married! No wonder so many couples can't be happy together as they don't seem to understand what "together" means!

Clearly if you were that wonderful in the kitchen with your wife, you would have already realized that togetherness means one of you on both sides of the counter offered by an island kitchen or butt rubbing kitchen, facing each other and working hand it hand over a common counter. You just can't get that kind of closeness in a perimeter kitchen.

Pretty snotty reply to I thought was a pretty heart warming post.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

brose38
Explorer
Explorer
travelnutz wrote:
There will never be a "one butt" kitchen or a wet/sink fixed island with our names on the title. Nor will there ever be a kitchen that can't be fully used with all the slides in owned by us. That certainly means full access to the frig too! There are many quality RV units offered that do not have these dumb issues and most are rear kitchens or with a kitchen slideout that has the sink in the base trailer area. A moveable small enough dry island that isn't in the way when the slides are out could be a possibility and there are some models with that feature.

You have to go into an RV model with all the slides all the way in to see what it's really like because floor plans in brochures are very deceiving and many not to scale. So many have been fooled!

With the slides in: Can you fully use the kitchen, bathroom, and access the bed and/or the closets on the other side of the bed. What a PIA to have to open a slide everytime for just a nature call on the road or to get a sweater/jacket etc if the weather changes, spill something, or maybe it gets a lot hotter in the afternoon and you want some different duds to wear. After just over 50 years of RVing now, we've been well educated and know what works and what creates problems!

We've been in so many "friends" one butt kitchen RV's in CG's etc that people have and very few like them after the newness wears off. A royal PIA is what some owners have called them! One thing we have always noticed with island sinks is that water spills or splashes or unseen food stills leave spots all over the floor and often it would be soapy water or have cooking grease in the spots from washing the dishes etc. Not only does it get tracked on to the carpet areas but do you know what grease residue or water on smooth wood or vinyl floors is like when you walk on it? Ice skating inside the RV is not very smart! To make it worse, kids or visiting kids/grandkids spill things and guess where that spill will usually be?

It's a "no brainer"

X3

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Travelnutz, no, a good portion is out of the camera including a large domestic fridge, a wine fridge the size of your average RV fridge, a pantry plus a large freezer & more storage for food in an area below. We loaded up, freezing stuff like milk & bread & never went shopping, except for produce, for a month (4 adults & a baby). They cruised for almost 2 months after we left them & still did not need to shop. Amazing boat!

2 11kw gennys. 10 8D AGM batterys. 100gal per day water maker. 400gal water tank. Most economic cruising speed about 10mph burning just over 1 gal per mile.

And we grumble about the fuel we burn! HA!
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Quote:

"I'm glad you are both like two birds nuzzled up on a branch! It seems the one-butt kitchen would be perfect for you since you like to be close."

Only one problem, 2 butts can't even fit in most of the one butt RV kitchens. That is unless both of you weigh less than 100 lbs each! Maybe if she was to sit on your shoulders it could be possible. I've just got to see how butt rubbing could be done with that stackup! I'll bring my camera...
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow! That sure is a tiny galley for a 65' cruiser. Is it the main galley?

FWIW, with our living on the Lake Michigan shoreline all our 72 years, boating, fishing, waterskiing, swimming, etc is a way of life and we are/were no exceptions. If we weren't boating because it was windy and/or rough on the huge deep lake or chilly, we'd be gone in one of our RV's or up at our 4.3 acre hideaway in the 532,000 acre Manistee National Forest with literally thousands of miles of motorized trailbike marked trails to play on, etc. Winter was always snowmobiling up there before and after our annual Florida trip to our place down there. No moss ever grew or grows under our feet and we love it still!

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Me Again wrote:
Veebyes wrote:
How's this for a one butt kitchen?

That is a giant galley!

Chris

Yes, it is one giant galley. It is onboard this.

65' of boat that makes a Prevost bus look like a low budget school bus conversion. Those latching cupboard handles are all stainless & retail for over $30 each. Not ours. Belongs to some friends. Spent a month onboard last year cruising the Bahamas. Very nice but we will keep the RV thankyou. It can go so many more places.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

travelrider73
Explorer
Explorer
travelnutz wrote:

[snip]

So the key to happiness is NOT having a one-butt kitchen!? [kidding]. I'm glad you are both like two birds nuzzled up on a branch! It seems the one-butt kitchen would be perfect for you since you like to be close.

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Me Again,

The second pic looks like a small version of the galley we had in one of our cabined powerboats. Our 34' Catalina sailboat had a much larger galley too and the vee birth shown in your pic was about 18'+ farther forward with a huge "U" shaped dinette and a starboard couch plus the head/shower room before the vee birth rather than it being across from the tight galley in the pic.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Veebyes wrote:
How's this for a one butt kitchen?

That is a giant galley!

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is that so? No counter or cupboards will come between us!!!

Atom_Ant
Explorer
Explorer
travelnutz wrote:

2008 Ford F350 2014 Redwood 36RL - Our Rig
Onan 5500, Splendide Ariston W/D, 8K axles, disk brakes, G614s, tri-glide pin box,
6-pt leveling, dual heat pump, dual awnings, Trav'ler SK-1000 Dish