cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opinions of ATC/Sundowner/Dune Sport

wildman4x4
Explorer
Explorer
So let me hear some opinions on ATC and their all Aluminum construction as opposed to Sundowner with metal & wood or Dune Sport with wood and fiberglass skin.

I have had a few trailers with water damage inside. None of my truck campers ever had any leaks but I didn't own them for more than 4 years.

I like the ATC construction and realize you PAY for it.
Sundowner has a very good quality inside and you can see it.
Dune Sport seems to me to be about like all the other trailer manufactures and while they will build you anything you want I worry about it lasting 20 years.

I see the ATC or Sundowner being passed down to one of my kids and then used years after that.
8 REPLIES 8

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
All of the OPs recent posts have been about truck campers. (August and September 2020)
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

dedmiston
boatman22 wrote:
Wildman, I know this is an old thread but did Dune Sport get back to you? I am also looking at an open back Toy Hauler and have been looking at Sundowner but prices are high. Thanks for any info.

Wow. This is an oldie. March 2019? Threads are supposed to be locked and archived after a year. (Not your fault that the system isn't working.)

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

boatman22
Explorer
Explorer
Wildman, I know this is an old thread but did Dune Sport get back to you? I am also looking at an open back Toy Hauler and have been looking at Sundowner but prices are high. Thanks for any info.

wildman4x4
Explorer
Explorer
I finally got a qoute from Sundowner and while it was a little higher than what I thought it would be..........
Sundowner triple axle, single slide, 14' open deck for Jeep & 6' storage area with side ramp for motorcycle. $105,000

ATC came in at a little higher at $115,000 for their 5th wheel TH.

And Dune Sport is working on a floor plan for me with a rear 14' open deck and then a door large enough to ride the bike thru. Price is yet to be determined but around $60,000-65,000.

wildman4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Well a little update,

So far Sundowner has not contacted me to tell me if they can or can't do what I asked on their trailer.

ATC also hasn't gotten back to me either about if they can install the fold down seat or the washer/dryer unit.

In both of their defense it was a short week for some businesses.

Now Dune Sport contacted me on Tuesday and we talked some more. I sent them the picture of the Sundowner with the rear open deck and they said they could build something like that. So I rough out a drawing of what my idea was for the trailer and they are working on a cad drawing and price list. So we will see what they bring to the table next week.

2scootn
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2018 8x20ft ATC and LOVE it. It has exceeded our expectations. No worries about rot issues, you could pressure wash out the interior if you wanted. Have only had a couple of minor warranty issues with no hassles getting them fixed. Very well thought out and designed - and excellent quality and build. We only haul a couple of scooters so space and weight are non-issues. Yes, they are pricey but after dealing with a diesel pusher and leak issues, it was worth every penny for the peace of mind if nothing else.

Dennis58
Explorer
Explorer
Ran across Intech Trailers today in my internet Toy Hauler travels.

http://www.intechtrailers.com/

A poster in one of the Sandrail forums I visit stated the company was started up by some ex ATC employees and the company is down the road from ATC. Anyway this person said they are very close in quality and price to ATC.

I looked at their web site today and they make several goosenecks in various sizes but the 28' jumped out at me as ATC only offers a 40'. They have a 38' with a bath option not sure if they have that option in smaller goosenecks.

Anyway might be worth checking out.

Dennis58
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have much to add other that I agree with everything you said. I too am looking these three brands.

What I REALLY want is a 25 FT 5th wheel/Gooseneck I can fit a Sandrail in that has a forward bed. Might as well be looking for a Unicorn, Dune Sport is the closest thing I have found but can ony get a 2 seat SXS in their 26 Ft.

The ATC 28 Ft Bedroom which is a bumper pull still comes up short. Great for SXS peeople, not so much for bigger stuff.

Didn't thing this would be so hard. Really don't want to drag 35 plus foot of rig behind me.