cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Outrun your rear camera?

drillagent
Explorer
Explorer
So, DW and I went to the Midwest RV Show in Kansas City yesterday and stopped by a booth run by one of the local vehicle mod shops. They said they could definitely install a new Titan fuel tank in my tow vehicle, but I would have to call for pricing. While I was at it, I asked if they could install a wireless rear view camera into my 5er. The gentleman there said they could, but they prefer to install wired cameras because at highway speeds there is the tendency to "outrun the wireless signal". ???? Is that even possible? I'm no physics guru, but I thought radio waves traveled at the speed of light? Has anyone ever heard of this before or had it happen to them?
TV: 2012 F250 CC SB SRW 6.7L Diesel w/air lift suspension
CHU: 2012 Keystone Montana 3750FL
Hitch: B&W Turnover Ball w/ Companion 3500
Family: Me, HH6, a Boston Terrier, a Shiba Inu
47 REPLIES 47

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
Probably a metaphor to explain mixed results. We have a 28 foot Class C (non metallic walls) and I tried a wireless camera. I just gave up on it because of poor reception (from tail light area to the cab).

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't seen many positive reports of wireless rear cameras on a 5er. "Outrunnin" the signal doesn't make sense to me, but there really isn't line of sight, which would be my guess as to why they have trouble with reception.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I guess it's possible if your towing very, very fast LOL!
FWIW, I have terrible luck with wireless cams working just on the back of my truck. Once I installed a wired cam (Rostra) I never had a problem again.