cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

EZ Lube bearings

Bayley
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure I'm not the first to ask this question but I couldn't find any threads that address it.
I have EZ-lube axles on my Arctic Fox 5'er. Is it safe to simply grease the bearings frequently with a grease gun or do I need to pull the wheels and manually repack the bearings. I guess I don't really trust the "EZ Lube" idea.
any help is appreciated!
Thanks,
Tony
Semper Fi

Tony, Darlene & the boss Bentley!
2013 Ram CTD, Ride-Rite Air Bags, B&W Turnover Ball and Andersen "Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection".
2014 Arctic Fox 29-5K 5th wheel with Reese Airborne Pin Box.
20 REPLIES 20

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
RustyJC wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
From what I was told the new MobileSuites do not come with oil bath bearings. They are greasable. So does that make them EZ lube? Mine will be on the MorRyde system with Kodiak Disk Brakes.

That's an interesting point. The DRV Website still shows the oil bath bearings, but I understand that they went to grease-packed bearings in May 2014 (after our unit #6972 was built). I guess if I were ordering a new one and preferred one or the other, it would be something I would make clear with the dealer and/or Kyle @ DRV.

Since they made the switch after our unit, I don't know if the grease-packed bearings would have the EZ Lube cover or not.

You'll love the MorRyde independent suspension and Kodiak disc brakes - that's what our MS has and is a great leap up from the Dexter solid axles and electric drum brakes we had on our 2004 MS.

Rusty

I have the Kodiak disk brakes currently on our 07.5 MS and they are great!

Rolling Retreats recommends staying with the factory standard and you use a grease gun to lube the wheels. So I was wondering are all that require a grease gun EZ Lube?

I am not sold on the idea of using a grease gun. I have no problem just repacking the bearings on an annual basis. Maybe I will ask if they just send it out old school way!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

aruba5er
Explorer
Explorer
First thing, Knock off the grease cap. Then raise the vechicle so the tires can be spun. Slowly grease the zerk and watch to see that grease comes out the front near the spindle as you turn the tire. If no grease is coming out the end near where you are squirting the grease, STOP. You may have a blown seal. I think that greasing all the time is totally unnecessary. My car has 133k on it and nothing has ever been greased. By pulling the wheels you can inspect the brakes. For those who are old enough,remember back when AAA paid to have your brakes adjusted every 5000 miles. I would worry more about brakes than bearings. I kinda like to stop when needed. I don"t want grease on my brake shoes. (Thats why I threw those stupid drum brakes out and now have Hyd Disc)

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
My opinion is that the oil bath bearings, as far as lubrication is concerned, are superior to the grease-packed bearings. The complaint about oil-bath bearings is that they can sometimes be a little messy - if I'm on a trip where I've given the disc brakes a good workout, I may have some streaking on a random wheel. The high temperatures generated by the disc brakes will sometimes push a tiny bit of oil around a hub cover o-ring or rubber fill plug, and this tiny bit of oil will pick up brake dust and make some black streaks on the nice, shiny aluminum wheel.

To me, this is no big deal. I routinely check the oil in my hubs and have yet to add any, so any oil loss is insignificant. I'll just wipe down the wheel and go on. To some other owners, however, having to clean a wheel every now and then seems to be a HUGE deal - thus, the change back to grease-packed bearings.

Edit: DRV will supply a kit to change the oil bath to grease-packed bearings. It consists of hub covers and new seals. I suppose one could change the other direction from grease-packed to oil bath with the appropriate covers (with o-rings & fill plugs) and seals if desired.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

justme
Explorer
Explorer
I am told by engineers who design this stuff that oil bearings are superior to grease in some applications like trailer that are in frequent travel and high load and speed applications. Oil bath bearings will condense and oxidize (rust) if they are static for extended periods of times. Also, never use oil bath bearings on boat trailers.

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
From what I was told the new MobileSuites do not come with oil bath bearings. They are greasable. So does that make them EZ lube? Mine will be on the MorRyde system with Kodiak Disk Brakes.

That's an interesting point. The DRV Website still shows the oil bath bearings, but I understand that they went to grease-packed bearings in May 2014 (after our unit #6972 was built). I guess if I were ordering a new one and preferred one or the other, it would be something I would make clear with the dealer and/or Kyle @ DRV.

Since they made the switch after our unit, I don't know if the grease-packed bearings would have the EZ Lube cover or not.

You'll love the MorRyde independent suspension and Kodiak disc brakes - that's what our MS has and is a great leap up from the Dexter solid axles and electric drum brakes we had on our 2004 MS.

Rusty

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
RustyJC wrote:
My current 5er uses oil bath wheel bearings (that's an entirely different subject), but my experience is that the EZ Lube bearing arrangement is fine for unbraked boat trailers where the intent is to flush water out of the bearing cavity and there are no brakes to contaminate, but where drum brakes are involved, I don't trust the EZ Lube approach - pull 'em and pack 'em. YMMV

Rusty

Thanks
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
My current 5er uses oil bath wheel bearings (that's an entirely different subject), but my experience is that the EZ Lube bearing arrangement is fine for unbraked boat trailers where the intent is to flush water out of the bearing cavity and there are no brakes to contaminate, but where drum brakes are involved, I don't trust the EZ Lube approach - pull 'em and pack 'em. YMMV

Rusty

B&W RVK3600

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dtank wrote:
Norskeman wrote:
Have them - never use them. Too easy to over grease the bearing area.

Inspect the bearings and brakes every spring.

Best answer (above) and - OP,
the subject has been on here frequently in the past.

There are those who just do the EZ bearing lube.
However, over lubrication will "grease' you brakes!.:(

Search =
You should be able to find threads in the past 12 months and/or in the archives - for lots of varying opinions and more info.

X10 or so

Well us Old School types, think pumping more grease into a fixed space is a bad idea, it needs to go some place! Grease doesn't disappear from the bearing area unless you have a bad seal.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Puddles
Explorer
Explorer
C-Bears wrote:
I am getting ready to do my EZ-lube. I am taking the recommendation of a experienced farmer that has a similar model fiver as I do. He suggested raising each side and manually spinning the wheel you are slowly pumping grease into. There is a little more to it but not much.

Been there, done that... just a matter of time before the seal fails and you grease the brakes... Forcing grease thru the back bearing, filling the hub cavity, and then forcing it thru the front bearing is asking a lot of a grease seal... I have read (no article to quote) that an empty hub cavity can help get rid of some of the heat generated by braking. Good luck.
HTML

Puddles
Explorer
Explorer
Been there, done that... just a matter of time before the seal fails and you grease the brakes... Forcing grease thru the back bearing, filling the hub cavity, and then forcing it thru the front bearing is asking a lot of a grease seal... I have read (no article to quote) that an empty hub cavity can help get rid of some of the heat generated by braking. Good luck.
HTML

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
I am getting ready to do my EZ-lube. I am taking the recommendation of a experienced farmer that has a similar model fiver as I do. He suggested raising each side and manually spinning the wheel you are slowly pumping grease into. There is a little more to it but not much.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
Norskeman wrote:
Have them - never use them. Too easy to over grease the bearing area.

Inspect the bearings and brakes every spring.

Best answer (above) and - OP,
the subject has been on here frequently in the past.

There are those who just do the EZ bearing lube.
However, over lubrication will "grease' you brakes!.:(

Search =
You should be able to find threads in the past 12 months and/or in the archives - for lots of varying opinions and more info.

justme
Explorer
Explorer
Bayley wrote:
I'm sure I'm not the first to ask this question but I couldn't find any threads that address it.
I have EZ-lube axles on my Arctic Fox 5'er. Is it safe to simply grease the bearings frequently with a grease gun or do I need to pull the wheels and manually repack the bearings. I guess I don't really trust the "EZ Lube" idea.
any help is appreciated!
Thanks,
Tony
I have easy lube bearings and followed their maintained and grease type recommendations. I burned a bearing which cost me $1000 in emergency repairs in the middle of the Nevada desert. The problem was the bearings fatigued and the only way to detect fatigue is to manually inspect and pack the bearings. The Dexter bearing are made in China and I don't know if they are as good as Timken in quality, but fatigue is a problem in most trailers because the axles and bearing are at the margins in design.
To me Easy lube is nothing but market hype that give a false sense of security. Nothing replaces inspection and repacking at 6-10K miles or annually which ever comes first.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Bayley wrote:
I'm sure I'm not the first to ask this question but I couldn't find it.Thanks,Tony

A simple search on this site produced 9 pages and 168 responses.

Here in the LINK

Happy reading.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006