cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plate to plate gap

Billzo
Explorer
Explorer
Last year we bought our first trailer and it is a FW. When we went to hook it up, the salesman noticed a gap between the two plates, so he pulled the hitch that was stored in the trailer and we put it on the rails and when it hooked up, the gap was gone. The question I have is, was it possible that we high hitched? Was it possible the pin was too long for the hitch? Something else?

Working hitch: Reese 20k
Gap hitch: Curt Q20
Trailer: 1999 Mckenzie Monaco

I'd like to use the Q20 since it looks nicer, is brand new and has the rubber bushings to smooth out the haul.

We installed the teflon disk before either hitch was attempted. The gap was close to the height of another disk. It wasn't funny business by the salesman/owner because the hitch that worked didn't cost anything.
2000 McKenzie Monaco 36RLT
2014 Ram 2500 HD Outdoorsman SLT Longbed
16 REPLIES 16

Billzo
Explorer
Explorer
Honestly, I don't remember - but it was in a parking lot so everything would have been virtually level.

If I'm told that basically all pins are the same distance from end of pin to plate, then that's pretty much the only explanation I can think of. When we attempted the couple, it was the very first I'd ever witnessed so I would have had no idea if it'd been done incorrectly.

I'm likely going to have to pull the current hitch and install the other which will be a pain attempting solo.
2000 McKenzie Monaco 36RLT
2014 Ram 2500 HD Outdoorsman SLT Longbed

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Most likely a high pin.
I've caught more than a couple when hooking up on a construction worksite or a primitive camp ground. In all cases the trailer was leaning one way and the trailer the other which also can lead to a wedged pin.
They can be a bitzh to get un stuck.

Was your gap caused by the landing gear being too high ??
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides