cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Plumbing question -- joining 3 primary lines together

DazedNConfused
Explorer
Explorer
QUICK VERSION: What does the manufacturer use to join the city water and water pump to the main supply for the RV?

LONG VERSION: When I purchased my new RV last year, I shipped a dual-cartridge water filter setup from Hydropuretechnologies to the dealer for them to install for me prior to taking delivery. This weekend when I un-winterized the fiver, I pressurized the system with water and found a little standing water in my basement area. I removed the storage walls and traced the problem back to the inlet neck on the aforementioned water filter. From the look of things, the dealer hacked this together...and it wasn't done properly. I confirmed this when I spoke with Hydropuretechnologies support. Moving forward, I going to locate the filters outside when we camp since they are a serviceable item (media needs to be changed once a year) and I don't want to remove the storage walls to get access to them even though I'd only be doing this once a year. I got the information from the manufacturer on which connections to use to do this properly and will source them locally.

However, now I have three lines in the RV plumping I need to join together. The city water and water pump were both going to the water filters. The output of the filter went to the main RV plumbing. Because I want to use the camper this weekend, I joined the city water and main line together and I capped off the water pump as a temporary solution I usually carry about a 1/4 tank of fresh water on-board for washing hands and stuff when we aren't hooked up to a city line so I want to put the water pump back in service as soon as I can.

When I went to a few home improvement stores, I couldn't find a 1/2" tee to bring those three lines together. I found some brass ones online, but they are only for non-potable use. Because this is the first I've seen this plumbing, I don't know how this was all joined together from the factory....so I was hoping someone on here could enlighten me...and if it's the tee that brings the three lines together, where I can find one safe for potable use?

Hopefully I explained this well enough so you understand what I'm asking.

Thanks.
DNC
12 REPLIES 12

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
Then it sounds like a 1/2 inch compression T would work
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

DazedNConfused
Explorer
Explorer
Allworth wrote:
Without a signature line we can't tell what year or make trailer you have; but what kind of "new" trailer is it that isn't plumbed with PEX?

Sorry. Good point. 2014 Salem Hemisphere 346QBUD. There is Pex everywhere except the main supply lines. So for instance, th back side of the city water connection has a 1/2" hose, female fittings on both ends, like you'd see going from a valve near a toilet to the tank. Also 1/2" hose of same type going from output of water pump. Final one is where it ties into the Pex before going to the hot water heater and such. Without ever seeing that space before the dealer installed the filtration, I don't really know what is supposed to be in there if that isn't correct.

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
DazedNConfused wrote:
Thanks....I'll take a look at the Sharkbite stuff. I did find a 3-way 1/2" tee at a local plumbing supply place that I'm going to pick up tomorrow. That will be the easiest fix. Going the Sharkbite route means I'll have to convert over to PEX or something that works with those connectors -- so I'll save that for a future project.

Thanks a bunch.

As shark bite works with PEX, CPVC,PVC and copper what kind of plumbing do you have?

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
+1 for sharkbite and gatorbite. Use faucet lines if you need a flexible connection. I would remove any screw/hose clamp fittings and use real pipe fittings. Any plastic fittings removed get updated on mine.

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Without a signature line we can't tell what year or make trailer you have; but what kind of "new" trailer is it that isn't plumbed with PEX?
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

DazedNConfused
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks....I'll take a look at the Sharkbite stuff. I did find a 3-way 1/2" tee at a local plumbing supply place that I'm going to pick up tomorrow. That will be the easiest fix. Going the Sharkbite route means I'll have to convert over to PEX or something that works with those connectors -- so I'll save that for a future project.

Thanks a bunch.

sh410
Explorer
Explorer
Lowes has "sharkbite" fittings. Click here

ricatic
Explorer
Explorer
darsben wrote:
I woulduse this

the "sharkbite"...the best thing to happen to plumbing since they moved the toilet indoors...:B...these fittings are used by plumbers everywhere in many of the quick serve restaurants I do project management work...you can adapt just about anything to anything using them and I have never seen one come apart(if properly installed)

Regards
Ricatic
Debbie and Savannah the Wonderdachsund
2009 Big Horn 3055RL
2006 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Dually LTX with the Gold Standard LBZ Engine and Allison Transmission
2011 F350 Lariat SRW CC SB 4WD 6.7 Diesel POS Gone Bye Bye

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think I would be worried about using any copper fitting for potable water use.
bumpy

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
I woulduse this

DazedNConfused
Explorer
Explorer
popeyemth wrote:
Look in the Yellow Pages for "plumbing supplies " and go to a real plumbing store.
The big box stores have them but many of the people working there are clueless as to helping you if you can't find it.
Good Luck, Mike

Thanks, Mike. Yeah....that was my plan...but wanted to make sure this is how they come from the factory and I'm either not missing something or the dealer didn't create a "funny" situation with the plumbing when they installed the water filters.

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
Look in the Yellow Pages for "plumbing supplies " and go to a real plumbing store.
The big box stores have them but many of the people working there are clueless as to helping you if you can't find it.
Good Luck, Mike
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin