cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pocket door help....

cdlaine
Explorer
Explorer
What you are looking at is the top rail for the pocket door on my 5th wheel. The door separates the bedroom from the main living area. (door is removed in photo). Look closely and you will see the most distal screw has worked loose thus blocking the door from opening all the way. (also , the very next proximal screw is awol). So , my query, ... the distal screw (Phillips) is farther back than the length of my arm, and, my beefy Python will not fit in the space allotted (one would have to
be anorexic).

How do I tighten/replace these screws ??? (there is no lateral access).

What tool /extension combo is needed ?

Thank you,

Charles

Pocket door rail....
2003 2500HD, 8.1L,CC,4.10,2WD,Allison
Standard bed
Ride-rite air bags
Prodigy
Husky 16K sliding

2013 Artic Fox 29-5T Silver Fox Ed.
Pin wt.(CAT Scale) 2660#
5th (Cat Scale) 12600#

I'll want the Frim Fram sauce with the Ausen Fey with
Chafafa on the side.... Nat
19 REPLIES 19

Puddles
Explorer
Explorer
Hey... back in 07 I ran across a tip to fix this kind of prbm... printed it off and have not had to try it... knock on wood.... he cut a groove into the edge of a 2"x3" to lay the extension in and slid that into the pocket instead of his arm.. www.bitware.com/5er/mod_pocket.htm good luck ๐Ÿ™‚
HTML

cdlaine
Explorer
Explorer
Time2Roll ..that would be the male end for the pocket door hardware
as seen here...

pocket door hardware...

Charles
Standard bed
Ride-rite air bags
Prodigy
Husky 16K sliding

Pin wt.(CAT Scale) 2660#
5th (Cat Scale) 12600#

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I like the angle adapter with extensions.

What is up with the fastener at the very top of the picture?

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
Michelle.S wrote:
When our pocket door dropped it was because the track pulled right off the screws. Re-installed using screws with a larger head and flat washer.
I had the same issue with the back screws, so I actually wedged the two walls apart with a block of wood so I could squeeze my arm in, plus I added extra screws and no problem since.

I like this. Simplest ideas can be the best! Can you cut out the spinach for a day and get rid of those Popeye arms? Otherwise find a friend with long, slender arms.
If this doesnโ€™t work and 54โ€ isnโ€™t long enough, you should be able to connect 2 extensions together.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
amazon or grainger has some long ones

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
When our pocket door dropped it was because the track pulled right off the screws. Re-installed using screws with a larger head and flat washer.
I had the same issue with the back screws, so I actually wedged the two walls apart with a block of wood so I could squeeze my arm in, plus I added extra screws and no problem since.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

cdlaine
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the great recommendations and experiences. I really
would like to only have to visit this problem once so will reinforce
the existing plate/screws when fixing... I did not realize this pocket
door was so heavy !! solid wood ?? While I am at it I will also evaluate
the pocket door from the bedroom to the bath area. Much lighter ! I'm
guessing the road vibrations just works the screws loose.

Thanks for the links.... looks like new tools needed. I wish I could find
one/two extensions that were long enough...maybe Harbor Freight ?

Charles
Standard bed
Ride-rite air bags
Prodigy
Husky 16K sliding

Pin wt.(CAT Scale) 2660#
5th (Cat Scale) 12600#

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
Another possibility which might let you avoid drilling a hole in the wall would to use an extension such as one used by cable installers. Grainger carries them. If you have the room Iโ€™d consider a hex head screw. You definitely would need a magnetic bit holder and perhaps a helper using small parts grabber to guide the hex bit in place.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
We had a very similar situation happen our our '11 Montana, while we were at our dealership having other work done I asked the tech how a guy could get into that narrow space without tearing everything apart. He told me to go to Home Depot and buy a tool similar to what was posted on the first page. The one from HD was not quite the same angle and it was Milwaukee brand, also he said to pick up a couple of hex extensions to fit on the end, use a drill and with one arm reach into the cavity and run a slightly larger screws into the track.

So once we got back home I did the purchase at HD, took all of the remaining screws out of the track, brought it down and applied a little construction adhesive on the track and installed slightly larger screws back in. That was the last time we had a problem with that pocket door coming off the track or "drooping" on us.

Good luck, it's going to be tight, mine was but I was able to get in there. :B

Dan

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Something similar happened to our door but I am thin enough to get to the back screws. Maybe ask a skinny friend.
Then I drilled more holes in the track that I could get at and put in several more screws. Then I always close the door for travel so the load is on the new and more abundant screws.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

ndrorder
Explorer
Explorer
Something like this may be?

https://www.amazon.com/OriGlam-Extension-Adapter-Magnetic-Screwdriver/dp/B06XKW4VZ2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1510603501&sr=8-4&keywords=angle+socket&dpID=51MNNV41jTL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

cdlaine
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all very much.

DownTheRoad and Mandalay Parr.... your ideas will be Plan A.

Newman FullTimer... Plan B. (but probably should be Plan A for
the next time this happens).

Ol' Bombero.... here is a photo of the on door mounting device and
securing plastic lock. The only "stops" I'm aware of are the back
end of the pocket door slot, and a securing snap-on strap on the door.
I called the Mfr. and learned how to remove the door... they have special
extension devices to assist installation. The "awol" screw remains
unaccounted for... I hope it was originally installed. Thanks.

Pocket door mount hardware...

Thanks again ...I'm out camping in the desert so the solution will
have to wait until back at the sticks and brick. I will leave the door
off hoping to avoid damage en route.

Charles
Standard bed
Ride-rite air bags
Prodigy
Husky 16K sliding

Pin wt.(CAT Scale) 2660#
5th (Cat Scale) 12600#

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get one of those palm size power drivers and duct tape it to a stick. Practice reaching in with it. Then tape it on or create a remote trigger and then engage the screw. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
How about a scoket set extension.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141