cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible short ? A/C affecting 12V lights

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have noticed that when it is cold outside and my heat pump first goes on the 12V lights blink and some even go out. I want to know if anyone has had this happen and what caused it. I believe that the 120V and 12V system would be segregated. I am thinking something with a ground or something in the converter. I am open to ideas. Again, this only happens during cold weather and not all the time. I hope to trouble-shoot this when it warms up a bit.
13 REPLIES 13

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
1. I do have a VOM and used it to establish the battery condition and the position of the on/off switch, since it is not clearly marked. VOM is a big help.
2. I am not sure what a soft start is. But when the a/c starts I do know it starts using less current then kicks in. Almost sound like changing gears.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Glad you found a fairly minor problem and, hopefully, it won't be a problem going forward. Another thing to consider would be adding a Soft Start on the A/C to help reduce the start-up load.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good find. Apparenlty the lights were getting their power from the charger and not the batteries resulting in the flicker. Plus the batteries were not being charged.

An inexpensive digital voltmeter from say Harbor Freight is a good tool for checking some basics. I'm not being critical - just saying...
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Turned all 12V lights on then heat pump....Not even a flicker from the lights. Problem solved. Thanks all.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Good to hear! Yup, keep it simple, first.

Jerry

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not sure what brand of charger I have, but some of the lights have been switched over to LED. Most are still Halogen. BUT I DO HAVE SOME GOOD NEWS.... Evidently, when I replaced the battery I forgot to turn on the battery disconnect switch. I turned it off when I installed the battery so I would have no voltage at the battery terminal. Just checked the switch and it was OFF. Checked system with A/C off and on and checked terminals also. Noted battery charging. All seems to be good at this point. I will know again when I turn the heat pump - A/C back on. It is off for now as the outside temperature does not call for it. Thanks all, for your input. I will let you know if there are any future issues. Just goes to show.... As the saying goes: "If the lights don't work, see if the switch is on".

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
What make/model charger do you have? Are the lights LEDs? Do you have an electroic light controller?

Bob

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
KD4UPL wrote:
How old are your batteries? Have you checked them lately? 12v shouldn't be effected much by AC voltage sags unless your batteries are toast and your basically running on the converter.

That was my thought.

And just because the battery is new doesn't mean it wasn't bad from the store. Take a few minutes and check the voltage with the charger shut down to be sure.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
If your lights are LED then it may be radio frequency noise. I had a neighbor that had a Honda 2000i generator that had a problem and my LED lights would not work when his generator was running.

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
I will try to answer all First this just started in the last couple of weeks. Only 2 times to be specific. The battery is fairly new. About 2 months old. I have my own pedestal on my lot that I have been using for several years. It is Eaton Brand with 20/30 and 50 Amp. I am plugged into 50A with the 50 Amp cord that came with my unit. I will be able to check my battery and connections tomorrow. I will also unplug 120V and check to be sure all 12V systems operate on their own.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
How old are your batteries? Have you checked them lately? 12v shouldn't be effected much by AC voltage sags unless your batteries are toast and your basically running on the converter.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Consider monitoring the RV park voltage. eTrailer sells a Hughes model for $14.

Hughes model
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Heat pumps draw a lot of power especially when starting and can certainly effect the charger status due to the drop in AC voltage. I suspect you are getting a significant AC transient or voltage drop. What type of pedestal plug are you using and type/length of power cord?

Battery and wiring condition can be a factor.

Bob