cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

First Tow with New Trailer

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Picked up the new-to-us trailer yesterday, a 2008 Heartland Big Country 3250TS. Towed like a dream with the Hensley Trailer Saver BD-3 hitch.

I wound up going with the Curt in-bed rails, they make a no-drill frame bracket kit for the Rams that made the installation pretty straightforward. I added an in-bed 7-way plug using the Curt prewired harness. The dealer installed a TrailAir Rota-Flex pin box on the trailer. Ram factory brake control worked well.

First trip is scheduled for the end of March, and planning to hit the scales then and see how much junk we manage to load up.

Looks like it sits a little nose-high, but at least I have good clearance between the 5er and the truck. Also thankful for a long-box truck at the angle I need to back into my driveway.

The brakes seem to work good, but I don't have any service history on the unit, so I plan to go through the suspension later in the summer and service the bearings, shackle bushings, equalizer, etc, and I may decide to add a Correct-Track system to give me an extra 2" in height.
18 REPLIES 18

Curly2001
Explorer II
Explorer II
Congrats on the new fiver. I am towing my Heartland about the same nose high as yours with no problems. You have a great fiver which should work well for you.
Curly
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
According to Hensley, the later production models have been adjusted to be OK with standard 1/4" plates. I got a standard Reese 10" plate and it works great!

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Durb wrote:
Have a TS3 instead of BD3 but the concept is the same. I air up my hitch so it tows to the line at the beginning of the season and leave it alone all year unless I need more clearance. You will find you will have to raise your front landing gear more than usual to unload the air bag pressure on the head when hooking/unhooking. You will also find there is a small learning curve on the Holland Binkley head. The thick jaws combined with my narrow kingpin groove (non typical) require that I have pressure on the plates to ensure a smooth hookup. This takes a couple of times to learn and will become second nature.

I assume a 1/8" slip plate works best as it does with a B&W's thick jaws.

I actually had to machine my own lube plate to center the hitch jaws. I used 3/8" high density polyethylene and took it down to 5/16" on my planer.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Durb wrote:
Have a TS3 instead of BD3 but the concept is the same. I air up my hitch so it tows to the line at the beginning of the season and leave it alone all year unless I need more clearance. You will find you will have to raise your front landing gear more than usual to unload the air bag pressure on the head when hooking/unhooking. You will also find there is a small learning curve on the Holland Binkley head. The thick jaws combined with my narrow kingpin groove (non typical) require that I have pressure on the plates to ensure a smooth hookup. This takes a couple of times to learn and will become second nature.

You'll know too when you are locked in with the BD3 and I suspect the TS3!
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:

Question for BD3 owners: do you deflate the airbags when not towing or leave them at whatever pressure they were at?

Leave them at whatever pressure they were at, and recheck each trip.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Durb wrote:

I assume a 1/8" slip plate works best as it does with a B&W's thick jaws.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Durb
Explorer
Explorer

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
BurbMan wrote:
Good idea! I have a horse stall mat that I got to use under the truck camper, so I may just cut that so it fits behind the rails! We have a shakedown trip scheduled for the end of March, so my plan is get the trailer packed with all of our camping gear, fill the water tank, and stop at a scale and get some weights.

Right now, the hitch is at its highest setting, and so is the pin box, so dropping both of those one notch will probably get the trailer pretty level, but have to see what it does for truck clearance.

Question for BD3 owners: do you deflate the airbags when not towing or leave them at whatever pressure they were at?

Nice looking rig,Congratulations!

I think you have a great plan on getting it loaded up before making any changes. Something to take into account is how much travel the BD3 has down. Looked up the specs on your 5er nice payload at 3,400#.
We installed the Correct Track on our 5er to get the last 2" to level.
Enjoy your new rig.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good idea! I have a horse stall mat that I got to use under the truck camper, so I may just cut that so it fits behind the rails! We have a shakedown trip scheduled for the end of March, so my plan is get the trailer packed with all of our camping gear, fill the water tank, and stop at a scale and get some weights.

Right now, the hitch is at its highest setting, and so is the pin box, so dropping both of those one notch will probably get the trailer pretty level, but have to see what it does for truck clearance.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Nice. Get yourself a BedRug Mat and cut out holes for your rails. Stuff like lumber will slide right over the rails without catching and it makes the bed easy on your knees.

It looks like your hitch is adjusted high. In an effort to level your trailer more, you might try lowering the hitch adjustments and reducing your bedrail clearance. This is what I do with my Trailer Saver and I have had no problems towing 99.9% of the time with less than 6". If I need more clearance, I pump the hitch up with some more air; real easy and a no cost fix.

That looks like a great combo match ! Like already stated, a bit nose high, but I've seen worse.

GOOD LUCK with it and Happy camping ! ! !
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
Picked up the new-to-us trailer yesterday, a 2008 Heartland Big Country 3250TS. Towed like a dream with the Hensley Trailer Saver BD-3 hitch.

I wound up going with the Curt in-bed rails, they make a no-drill frame bracket kit for the Rams that made the installation pretty straightforward. I added an in-bed 7-way plug using the Curt prewired harness. The dealer installed a TrailAir Rota-Flex pin box on the trailer. Ram factory brake control worked well.

First trip is scheduled for the end of March, and planning to hit the scales then and see how much junk we manage to load up.

have you looked to see if it has adjustable spring shackles? Your ideas are what I would do so you have a new history. chevman

Looks like it sits a little nose-high, but at least I have good clearance between the 5er and the truck. Also thankful for a long-box truck at the angle I need to back into my driveway.

The brakes seem to work good, but I don't have any service history on the unit, so I plan to go through the suspension later in the summer and service the bearings, shackle bushings, equalizer, etc, and I may decide to add a Correct-Track system to give me an extra 2" in height.
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lwiddis wrote:
2008? Looks in NEW condition to me.

The dealer shined it up pretty good, this is what the car guys call a "10 ft. paint job"...it looks great if you're further than 10' away!

It really is in pretty nice shape, but its shows wear here and there as you would expect from a 14 yr old trailer. We decided that we wanted to look at older, higher-quality units with a budget of what we sold the truck camper for. It would be great to have a 2022 Heartland 5er, but sadly $80k is not in our budget right now.

We're looking forward to updating and customizing it!

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
2008? Looks in NEW condition to me.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad