cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Power surges constantly

capriskier
Explorer
Explorer
The power in our fifth wheel seems to constantly change. The lights go from bright to a dimmer color once every few minutes. We experienced this at the past two campgrounds. We have 50 amp service. Is there something wrong with our camper or is this normal?
18 REPLIES 18

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
We had a guest in the park with similar problem. He ended up needing to replace all the battery cables, they were heavily corroded into the insulation jackets and failing intermittently even though the copper terminal connectors looked OK. This is a tricky problem to identify, since you will get good voltage readings until you put a load on the system. Easiest test is to tug on the cables, if they move easier than it seems they should, they may have internal corrosion.

Denny___Jami
Explorer
Explorer
Check the conections were the power cord comes into the trailer and the connections in the panel, sounds like a loose neutral.

Denny
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 gears Air Lifts
2003 HitchHiker Premier 35FKTG 215/75/17.5 Goodyear G114 Tires

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your lights are 12VDC and run from both your converter/charger unit or the battery. Sometimes if the battery is going bad the converter/charger is trying to keep up with it and power surges.

The first thing to do is check the fluid levels in your battery. If one cell is empty and the battery case is warm to hot then you are probably experiencing a failed cell in your battery.

You can also disconnect your shore power connection and read the DC voltage across the battery terminala... It should be around 12.5-6VDC for a charged up battery..

If you battery is reading below 10.5VDC then it may be toast now...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Check the batteries.

Check the converter output. It may be failing.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.