cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pulling 5ver to Alaska

billy1davis
Explorer
Explorer
We have decided to take a trip to Alaska...1800 miles one way. I have a 3500 Dodge Dually year 2001. Considering a 30ft 5ver. WOndering if I am biting off too much. Maybe get a Truck Camper instead?
Opinions please?
18 REPLIES 18

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Trucks pull trailers according to the trailers gross weights....not length.
How heavy depends on the particulars like a trucks rear gear ratio/auto vs manual/gas or diesel.

Fill in the blanks for a better recommendation
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

wantabe351
Explorer
Explorer
Ive never been there. But were going in 4yrs,if all works out as planned. Now on every big trip we take (cross country),I rebuild my 5er suspension, replacing what ever is worn and new tires if older than 3yrs.. Its just 1 less thing to worry about in our travels
[purple]Rich & Andrea
[/purple] Semi-Retired
2022 Ram2500 6.4 CC

2019Keystone,Impact26v-TH,solarpower

,Lithium Batt.. all to take our 2012 Yamaha FJR along to ride..

Luke_Porter
Explorer
Explorer
A 30' fifth wheel should be no problem for a Dodge dually--if that's your question.

Yep, actually drove to all of these places---in the last eight years. Missed Rhode Island and New Jersey.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Probably 200 to 300 of them come up every summer. One more is fine.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.