cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Putting a cover on the RV

Mark_Heisler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just wondering what everbody's thoughts are on a cover for the rv when not in use or for winter storage ? Here in Alberta we can get some cold days and lots of snow with wind.why I am asking the question is we spend all this time and money on polishing and keep them clean and like new in the summer. Just trying to save some work in the spring. Yes I know a covered shed is the best
2003 dodge 2wheel drive diesel 375hp 750torque
2007 citation fifth wheel model 29bhs
to see pictures of my truck and fifth-wheel click on view profile
9 REPLIES 9

NCKZ_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
I used an ADCO Tyvek for years until I purchased a metal RV shed. Never had any probs but always check to make sure it is snug at every point.

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
Actually I think the trick is to get a cover made for the purpose, in the correct size, apply it correctly, and keep an eye on it.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think your worst enemy is going to be chafe. Rubbing on the corners will rub right through the gelcoat leaving an unsighlty & expensive repair.

The fix is to use some old towels, folded over a few times & taped over the corners so that the tarp rubs on the towel, not your gelcoat. The towel makes for an easier turn on the corner too reducing the risk of a tear.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Jerry_B
Explorer
Explorer
They are heavy and you got to be very careful installing it. Easy to step through sky lights and trip over vents etc. I used mine in the summer only. It was enough trouble that I had to really get motivated to pull it off and make a short trip.
Jerry B
Mobile Suites 36TK3

poncho62
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer is an old beater, so am not too concerned about looks. It did at one time have some water leaks, which I have repaired. I use a large tarp in winter, just big enough to cover the roof and hang down the sides a foot or so.

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Personally I think sun is harder on rigs then snow.
We did use a good quality cloth cover, until we built an RV port.
One key is any tarp or cover, ensure NOTHING can rub, even in the highest winds. A grommet can rub through the paint, the filon, the.....
One other thought, if you use a tarp, put some spacer boards (2x4) on the roof, so air can circulate.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Speaking from experience you can buy a fabric trailer cover that lasts a few years and can easily rip if snagged or you can buy a thicker longer lasting tarp. Trick I learned is to hang milk jugs of water to keep tarp from flapping in the wind. Hang em almost to the ground. Bungee at every opportunity. We camp most of the year and found a metal canopy works best. I know that does not work for everyone. Best of luck
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

bigwheelsturnin
Explorer
Explorer
a giant tarp...strapped down with..100 bungee cords...we did it one year to keep leaves off....it worked for that
we call it...ridin the gravy train...

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Been using one for more than ten years and our TT still looks new. I would not store it without one.
The trailer stays clean and it DOES NOT hold any kind of moisture or condensation in.