cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

question on XPS Ribs

4x4FF
Explorer
Explorer
Next year my wife and I intend to start full-timing. I plan on installing new tires on my 5th wheel at that time. As I read the posts on here I understand the value of good tires. Michelin XPS Ribs are highly recommended on here...but....as I look at their literature I am a little confused. The size I would need is a LT235/85R16. I currently have 7k axles on my rig and when weighed have right at 11,500 on the 5th wheel axles. As I load the coach with more stuff this will probably increase some. Based on Michelin data each tire (XPS Ribs) have a load rating of 3,042 lbs. per hub. This gives me 6,084 per axle or 12,168 total. If I put the ribs on I am 'almost' at my max rating. With that being said, I also understand the difference between LT and ST tires and know ST tires are 'Rated' higher. Am I missing something here or am I calculating this wrong??

Steve
'07 39' Pilgrim Open Road 5th Wheel
'18 F350 Platinum 6.7 Powerstroke
15 REPLIES 15

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Around here Big O sells the Sailun tire. I ordered mine from online and had them mounted and balanced at a small tire shop in town. I took them off the 5th wheel myself and saved some dough.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
The Mad Norsky wrote:
4x4FF wrote:
After reading this and several other threads I'm thinking I might try to get the Sailon's. Does anybody know of a U.S. dealer, preferably a chain??

Steve

Been looking through their website myself. AFAIK, the only dealers shown are Canadian. Cannot, at least until now, locate a US dealership.

Hope someone comes along that can assist.

I typed in "Sailun Tire Dealers" on my homepage and they have dealerships all over the United States...I found one that sells them within 20 miles of my home.
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
4x4FF wrote:
After reading this and several other threads I'm thinking I might try to get the Sailon's. Does anybody know of a U.S. dealer, preferably a chain??

Steve

Been looking through their website myself. AFAIK, the only dealers shown are Canadian. Cannot, at least until now, locate a US dealership.

Hope someone comes along that can assist.
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

4x4FF
Explorer
Explorer

Steve

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
I got 11800 lb on my FW axle and I don't have any problem in the last 3-4 years with RIB.I use G614 before and I have to many problem with them.I think now Goodyear strait their sh... UP.
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
You've gotten away with probably overloading a tire or two, but please don't advise other people to do the same. Unless of course you've weighed each tire/wheel independently and can verify that your trailer weighs exactly the same on all 4 wheels.

Why do you think they put a weight rating on tires in the first place?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

handsome51
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2006 Carriage 5th wheel. Fully loaded on a trip at a scale it weighs a fraction over 14,700lbs. Out of that the fraction over and 3100lbs is hitch weight. So I have 11,600lbs on the tires. I have been using the XP Rib for almost the whole time I have had the trailer. I bought it new. It had the Towmax china tires on it from the factory and they lasted for 7000 miles of towing . As soon as one showed signs of going bad I replaced all five with the XP Rib.I am on my 2nd set now. I replace them every 5 years by the date on the side of the tire. I have never had a problem out of them.The side wall also has a steel belt. They are heavy if you try to pick one up.
You did not mention your hitch weight in your 1st post. Is that included in what you posted. If so, you have less weight on the tires

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I agree with above. I have XPS Ribs on mine and love them, but at a lower weight. I think you need to look at other options if you are going with LTs.

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
RockyMt wrote:
I ran into the same problem-my axle rating is 7000lb,trailer weight to heavy for XPS ribs.So I put Carlisle F rated tires on my trailer-235/85r/16 @95lds.I put a new set of XPS traction on the truck!Old ones were 10 years old.

Yep, too heavy for the RIBS, but I'd also looked at G rated GY G614's and the Sailun tires...Keep an eye on the Carlisles, make sure you know what they speed rated to..
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
4x4FF wrote:
I currently have G rated tires on it. Actually I bought his unit used and it has some ST and some LT tires on it. So...I guess the Ribs are out??

Steve

If you have 7,000# rated axles, then I would recommend that you go with G rated tires. The post that me again made with recommendation of G G614's or the Sailun tires are pretty much the two I would look at if 5er' really has 7000# rated axles.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

RockyMt
Explorer II
Explorer II
I ran into the same problem-my axle rating is 7000lb,trailer weight to heavy for XPS ribs.So I put Carlisle F rated tires on my trailer-235/85r/16 @95lds.I put a new set of XPS traction on the truck!Old ones were 10 years old.

4x4FF
Explorer
Explorer
I currently have G rated tires on it. Actually I bought his unit used and it has some ST and some LT tires on it. So...I guess the Ribs are out??

Steve

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
And if GY G614 are to steep for you look at the Sailun LRG. It is similar in diameter to the 235 Rib, so you need at least 33" center to center on your axles.

http://www.sailuntires.ca/MRT/S637.html

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
G rated would be a better choice and provide an extra margin of safety.