cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Next Trailer" - all about the kitchen

TomHaycraft
Explorer
Explorer
Now that I have twice the towing capacity of my current trailer, time to look for something bigger ... right? :B

DW and I have talked, "if" we were to look at new trailers (dangerous statement), it would have to be all about the kitchen counter space for food prep. Just the 2 of us, so we can eliminate bunk house models. We are huge fans of State Parks and when time permits, want to start hitting National Parks. With that, don't want anything much over 32 feet, aware that some National Parks limit to 30 feet (or so I've read?).

Aside from kitchen counter space, must be well insulated. Ideal if we can load refrigerator and pantry without putting slide out. Any other bells or whistles are icing on the cake.

I know we are asking a lot for more counter space, probably safe to "look" ... what does the audience recommend? I like my Keystone, but not married to that manufacturer. Recommendations?
2013 Silverado 3500HD - Duramax/Allison - CC, long bed, SRW, 2WD
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS - TST 507 TPMS
19 REPLIES 19

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
SH wrote:
Sutton RV has a brand new one...only $95K

I've been looking at these too (the Excel Winslow 37RKM).

Love the floorplan, and the usual Excel quality.

The one mentioned in the quote is a new, 2015 model.

There is another one new, 2014 model year, at a dealer in Holland, Michigan. RV Trader priced at $91K. Not much difference in the two.

Mind you they're orphans now, with Excel out of business. But all the appliances and everything should be warrantied by their respective manufacturers.
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

SH
Explorer
Explorer
Sutton RV has a brand new one...only $95K
2001 Alpenlite 35RK
2007.5 Chev LMM Duramax/Allison
BD Variable Vane Turbo Brake
TST 507
2010 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic Red Hot Sunglo 🙂

TomHaycraft
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, gorgeous. Good thing I only have a SRW or I'd be tempted to sell the house and move in! That, is certainly the ultimate kitchen for a 5er.

The_Mad_Norsky
Explorer
Explorer
How about this one???? Excel by the now closed Peterson Industries.

Their Winslow model 37RKM.
The Mad Norsky, Doll, Logan and Rocky
2014 Ram 3500 w/ Cummins/Aisin
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD LE Wet Bath
RV'ing since 1991

I took the road less traveled .....Now I'm Lost!

SanMarMor
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of windows in the main area of the trailer is high on our importance list. Most rear kitchen models I've seen are severely lacking windows in the rear of the trailer. That would be a deal breaker for us. But I did really like the Alpenlite SH posted. That is very nice, and would work for us.
2007.5 Chevy 3500HD Crew DMax Dually 4x4 w/ Curt Q5 20K Hitch
2011 Sabre 31RETS-6 w/ TrailAir Pin

44 nights in 2013, 37 nights in 2014, 27 nights in 2015, 29 nights in 2016
34 nights in 2017, 27 in 2018

http://camping.morrises.com/

AZ_T_T
Explorer
Explorer
The DW was wanting a nice kitchen area and that's how we ended up with a rear kitchen. She likes the extra space and that the kitchen is its own area.
AZ T&T
2012 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 29.5RKS
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch - Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
Honda EU2000i Generator

TomHaycraft
Explorer
Explorer
GON2SKI, the Northwood trailers catch my eye from time to time, think one was written up in Trailer Life magazine last year. Would certainly make my "short list" to consider when the time is right.

Thanks!

GON2SKI
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at Northwoods Arctic Fox 27-5L. Nice solid well built units.
2014 Arctic Fox 27-5L 5.5 Onan propane, 4pt AutoLevel, RearCam, Central Vacuum Bridgestone R250's tires
2002 F350 Power Stroke Diesel 4x4 CC SRW SB Chipped, Toyo Tuff HT tires
DW and 2 Bull Terriers

Here For A Good Time.... Not For A Long Time

TomHaycraft
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you so much, for each of your responses! Looks like we are not alone in our search. Before buying our Springdale, we were shown (pushed to buy!) a Springdale 280RK. The rear kitchen was very appealing, but it would have put me over weight limited for our prior 1/2 ton, I wasn't going to go there.

SH, your Apenlite looks great, really nice job with incorporation of the rear window.

Definitely a thread of conversation and suggestions I will bookmark. Good to hear also, about the success (after installation of shocks for one owner!) of the rear kitchen design. So many choices. Thanks to all who responded!

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
If you want well insulated, incredibly well built and access to the fridge and bathroom, try the Lance 2285!
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk båt - Dette må jeg se!

Chandalen
Explorer
Explorer
Kitchen at the front or back is the only massive kitchen space we have seen.

However, I have seen the planks that go over the sinks to give counter space there as well as a drawer slide out with a counter top that goes on it as well.

I also have not seen a camper that didnt have access to the fridge when the slides were in.
'08 Sierra 5th wheel bunk house
'04 F350 6.0L (bulletproofish now)
470ah GC2 battery bank, 500w Solar /w TS-45 Controller, 2k Pure Sine Inverter
Active Duty Army

2hams
Explorer
Explorer
We are very happy with our Grand Design Reflection 303, which measures 33"10" from nose to back bumper. We have counter space beside the stove, the entire hutch, and the island (with sink covers). Works great for two retired folks traveling. We can access the fridge with the slide in. Although you can't get to the pantry with the slides in, you can get to cabinet by stove, one by the door that's great for canned goods, and all of the bedroom/bathroom except the dresser drawers. It works great for us, and we have to pack/unpack on the street with slides in.

Here's the floorplan:

Here's a picture of some of the kitchen:

2019 Grand Design Solitude 310GK
2019 GMC Denali 3500 D/A SRW

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco has a rear kitchen in the HT line that would be less than the 32' you are looking for and they come with an arctic package of insulation and the underneath is fully covered and all the holes are plugged, at least on mine. I'm thinking the Eagle line also has a rear kitchen model, but it may be over the 32' limit you noted above. There is a ton of counter space in those rear kitchen FWs but the Jayco ones I was looking at didn't have the two chairs up front by the entry door, at the time, and that was a no go. That picture from SH would appear to be the ideal rear kitchen set-up with the two chairs for the entertainment and the big rear window, but it's probably around 38' long.
John A. Lichty

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Arctic Fox. Check out the insulation and kitchen counter space. Just be sure you have a real tow vehicle for their 30+ footers.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.