cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Realistic Grand Design Pricing

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
I have a friend here at work who is about to purchase his first camper. He's gone back and forth on brands, 5er or TT, toy hauler or not, etc., etc., etc..

He's always been a Grand Design fan but we're both a little unsure of pricing for their campers. The common rule of thumb has always been take around 30% off MSRP and work from there. But is this true for Grand Design Momentums? I spoke with a local dealer here in Raleigh when I was searching for our latest purchase and that dealer was quite adamant that 30% off the MSRP was not going to work with their Momentums. He said they were selling good enough and since it was a "higher end unit", they would not go as low as that.

I can totally respect their pricing. I'm of the mindset that a dealer can charge whatever they want if they can get that price. But I can also go somewhere else.

If my friend shops around (he has found one he likes in Tn.), what's a good price target percentage to look for against the MSRP of a Grand Design Momentum?
11 REPLIES 11

nwcutie
Explorer
Explorer
We paid 62% of msrp otd but we had cash and a paid for trailer. Don't be in a rush or too eager. BTW, all warranty issues were minor and fixed except 2 and they are kind of biggies that we are NOT happy about : leaky black tank valve (#poopyfeet, #ewwww ) and the vent pipe goes too deep in the black tank resulting in major stank! This is our 5th trailer so we're not rookies and we know how to prevent that IF everything is plumbed right
Children are unpredictable. You never know how high up the wall they're going to drive you!

2016 Ram 3500 Cummins/ Aisin /bagged diesel dually
2014 Grand Design Momentum 355 TH
kids and quads - life is great

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
stro1965 wrote:
I recently discovered the Grand Design Momentum 376TH and I'm wanting one BAD. If I thought I could trade my fuzion and not lose the farm I'd do it in a heartbeat. It's gorgeous and has everything that my wife and I both want. I must find a way!

Lol, write a check for the down payment. These are pricey,but AWESOME.
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

Sunnyside42
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW I saw a 350M discounted down to $58K before negotiations after this past January RV show in Charlotte. It was on the lot at Sonny's in Greenville SC. I figure that was somewhere in the 32%-35% off list.

Like others have mentioned, now is the absolute worst time to try and stike a deal. Hit up the dealers in late Nov. / December or go to the January show(s) ready to deal.

Sites like seedealercost.com can help with understanding the build options if you want to order.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind that there are a lot of options available on the Momentum. There can easily be $10,000 in options on one that are not on another. You must be sure to compare apples to apples.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

stro1965
Explorer
Explorer
I recently discovered the Grand Design Momentum 376TH and I'm wanting one BAD. If I thought I could trade my fuzion and not lose the farm I'd do it in a heartbeat. It's gorgeous and has everything that my wife and I both want. I must find a way!
2018 Ram DRW 3500 6.7
2019 Keystone Alpine 3021

macs10
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a 2016 Grand design momentum 350M I did alot of reserch on brands was looking for the the highend toy haulers only about three to pick from and most all have huge issues repairs etc. I paied $61,750. out the door for mine drove from California to Abiline Kansas. I am not sure what the dealers are talking about hot items and not enough stock this unit in california they had two at each dealwr including Trailerhitch. and when they sell they get a couple more from northern dealers so they are controlling how many they have in stock. No dealer would discount in California Nevada but Texas and Kansas was ready. This one had sat an entire year on the lot. I have used this beast hard for three months put 3'000 miles on it and the only issue was the Anderson Kantleak divertor valve was bad from the dealer other than that it works flawlessly. I dont know what my problems is I can pay $69'000 or I can pay $61'000 Most the dealers I delt with were pretty slimy.

ramgunner
Explorer
Explorer
This is a hot time for buying RV's. Often you will find the best pricing at RV shows - but make sure you keep up on the regular "non-show" pricing. We got a significant discount buying ours at a show.
Editor - http://www.RamGunner.com / http://www.MomentumGunner.com
2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
Grand Design Momentum 385TH (Polaris RZR800/VHF/UHF/HF)

jims1
Explorer
Explorer
We were offered $68k on a fully optioned 397Th at Dixie RV in Hammond RV. That was their first offer. Ultimately we decided to pass on the deal for other reasons.
Volvo dually Pickup
DRV Memphis
Me, Alie, and Salie
Fulltiming

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
Check out trailerhitchrv.com they list the price on the website and claim to be the lowest on the westcoast. They are in Nipomo Ca but you can maybe compare prices. We drove by there a few times this month and they are very well stocked with Grand design units
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker

loboclone
Explorer
Explorer
I Retired from RV sales, all MSRP pricing is designed for leverage of dealer. Grand design has the problem of production numbers that will be solved by there ever expanding facility expansion. Dealers can't get enough product from Grand Design. Until a certain model reaches 120 days inventory they aren't going to discount it. Margins where I worked averaged out over all new and used to $7K a copy, we were selling 100 units a month. MSRP is between 40-45% of cost plus flooring cost. If you use 30% off MSRP the dealer is making 15% on 100K unit. Margin (Profits) is higher on "Hot" products and frankly Grand Design is hot now.
2015 F-450 CC 440 HP 19.5 DRW. 26,500 Resse FW
Jayco Sesimic 4212 Toy Hauler
Oreion Sandreeper-Street Legal and tilted for the on road
480 Watts ZAMP 3 panel US made Solar system-Smart Glass panels

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our Grand Design RV is a Reflection, but 30% off MSRP is about what we paid. I don't think the "margins" differ much for the other lines.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015