cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Recommendation needed for a nice S.P. in F.L. panhandle

mowtown
Explorer
Explorer
Im looking for a state park in the Florida panhandle that can accept a 38'F.W. for a couple of days in Jan of 2014,has anyone been to one that they could recomend? We like doing alot of bicycling and walking/hiking if that helps.
11 REPLIES 11

malojeer
Explorer
Explorer
Just got back from Fort Pickens in Pensacola. 40 ft fw parked next to us.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
On the beach or not?
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yeah we once were more or less able to keep up with the Florida Parks. I intended to camp at all of them eventually. But they've added so many over the last ten years that I gave that idea up. Florida has a dedicated funding source for parks that's kept out of politicians hands; so we haven't had the sort of park closing going on elsewhere. Plus I'm sure that the politicians know that pulling in out of staters to the parks is a big plus for the state.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

mowtown
Explorer
Explorer
Im deffinatley not set on St.George I just want any and all opinions because there are some many to chose from.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
If you can stand not being at the beach, Florida Caverns SP in Marianna is very nice.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

webbfoot
Explorer
Explorer
PA12DRVR wrote:
St. George Island SP and St. Joseph Peninsula SP are both great parks. I've stayed at both when I had my "36'" KZ Escalade that was really 39' end-to-end.

In both places there were several spots for a big a** trailer. At one of the parks, I can't remember which one, I had to take the road/loop backwards in order to be able to back into the assigned spot.

If u go to st Joseph's. site 1 an site 3. Have plenty of room. All others are pretty tight.

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
mowtown wrote:
Any thoughts on St.George island s.p.?

Absolutely beautiful.............and quiet. Be aware unless you have Verizon or AT&T wireless service (and that's iffy) your phone won't work....if that matters to you. I stayed a week in August 2011(boy was it hot and the skeeters were incredible). Got to believe it's way nicer in January........and a good reason to make a reservation now if you want to stay there.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
St George is rather sandy. Unless you want to hike along the shore I wouldn't recommend it for that. There are some trails, indeed they have a hike in CG that we've been too, but the hike in the soft sugar sand isn't pleasant IMO. St Josephs in the same area is more wooded, tho I don't know about hiking trails. Florida Caverns isn't bad, they have the cave and were converted to FHU, but no beach of course. Suwanee River SP, a bit further east, is on the Florida trail so you have unlimited hiking and biking there. You can swim in the river too.

I have to confess that most Florida trails are on the boring side to me. Maybe that's just over familiarity but how many southern pine trees to you want to see?

BK
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
St. George Island SP and St. Joseph Peninsula SP are both great parks. I've stayed at both when I had my "36'" KZ Escalade that was really 39' end-to-end.

In both places there were several spots for a big a** trailer. At one of the parks, I can't remember which one, I had to take the road/loop backwards in order to be able to back into the assigned spot.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

mowtown
Explorer
Explorer
Any thoughts on St.George island s.p.?

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Topsail Hill SP in Santa Rosa Beach (near Destin). Has FHU, lots of wildlife, paved paths for biking, and killer beaches.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad