cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Reese 16k hitch

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Have the hitch in question and am wondering it it would be safe to use on a 5er w/ a 16k GVW and 3k plus pin or just plain upgrade to newer more HD hitch of "X" brand?
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"
3 REPLIES 3

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
I'm guessing you already have the hitch in your '15, and it is the fiver that is being upgraded to a larger unit.

The Reese should be just fine at the rated load, and if it is already installed in your truck, I suggest you give it a try before dumping it. I'm not sure why some folks just never seem to trust their fifth wheel hitch. They never fail in use, but something about the size of these trailers compared to that little pin, gives folks the heebie jeebies. We trust truck ratings, but distrust hitch ratings. Why?

I don't think the hitch will be a problem, but you may wish you had some kind of air-ride hitch on a trailer of that size. Which might mean a new hitch, or new pin box. Still suggest trying what you have before making a decision.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
If your 15 Ford has the FW prep, I would go that route, changing to a puck system hitch.

Otherwise, if you are happy with the hitch/trust it, I would continue using it. Most will not load their FW to GVWR, but you know if you are the exception.

I upgraded my hitch that I'd had for a number of years, when I bought new truck. The old one had some wear, but worked good. The new hitch is better, more user friendly. I'm glad I upgraded!

Jerry

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Personally I think 5th wheel hitch tow rating S/B at least 1000# higher then trailers GVWR

I have no problem towing at MAX GVWR, max RAWR etc and it S/B OK towing at MAX hitch rating.
BUT for some unknown reason I shutter when thinking about towing at max hitch rating.
Really shouldn't be an issue....Rated at 16K and 4K pin
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31