cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

EFI onan

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone considered going to an EFI generator on their toy hauler instead of the carb unit?? I have discussed getting an EFI one when looking at ordering a new hauler. Dealer said not a problem.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP
23 REPLIES 23

taken
Explorer
Explorer
It's plug and play electronically. You will need to add a return line and the EFI pump plumbing wise. The units are identical dimensions so it will be a straight swap other than the return and the pump.
Regards, Rodney
TV - 2017 F350 SRW CC SB 4X4 6.7
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

twvette
Explorer
Explorer
I was thinking in terms of buying the whole new EFI unit for the cases where a carb 5500 already exists. Just curious how plug and play the electronics into the toy hauler would be or any other things might not be thinking of. The switch to a high pressure pump and a return line is simple. Beyond this, just trying to determine how much of a drop in replacement it would be.
- '16 Fuzion Chrome 420 (Previous: Weekend Warrior '05 LE3105 and '06 CL40005)
- '15 RAM 3500 SRW 4x4 Aisin Crew (Previous:'05 Dodge 2500)
- '17 Maverick X3 RS (Previous: '08 RZR 800, '13 XP 900, RC51 powered RZR, Hayabusa powered RZR)

taken
Explorer
Explorer
You're on the right track there tinner. You can not convert carb to EFI. It must be a full changeover.
Regards, Rodney
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
I wasn't really thinking at the time I posted about converting a carbed gen to EFI, was thinking more of just purchasing an EFI gen. Had one company I talked to said they could after calling Onan, install a EFI gen instead of the carbed unit for a small fee. I just thought being an EFI model they would start quicker and easier. Won't mention the company in case there are laws that could possibly be stretched...just have to inquire when your looking at purchasing your RV and see if they can do it.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

twvette
Explorer
Explorer
What needs to be done on the electronics side to switch from the carb to the EFI version? Seems like not much but wondering if its the same connection for the start switch inside the trailer or any other things that need to be changed?
- '16 Fuzion Chrome 420 (Previous: Weekend Warrior '05 LE3105 and '06 CL40005)
- '15 RAM 3500 SRW 4x4 Aisin Crew (Previous:'05 Dodge 2500)
- '17 Maverick X3 RS (Previous: '08 RZR 800, '13 XP 900, RC51 powered RZR, Hayabusa powered RZR)

taken
Explorer
Explorer
dohler1 wrote:
Spoke to my local ONAN dealer about this exact issue. Here is what they advised:
needs the following in the Fuel tank:
--Supply return & purge lines for the EVAP EFI unit.
--Has to be rewired to just produce 120 volt as they are 120/240 volts

5.5 HGJAD-6759(diamond symbol)

if you have figured this out please let me know. I have the 5500 carbureted one now. I am always having issues with it. Want to go EFI on our new one.

You got some bad info there on a few fronts. The EFI comes in both 240v and 120v versions just like the carb unit. You'd only need the 120v model but could also use the 240v model as your rig divides the two circuits coming from the genset to the two phases in the circuit panel. No different than when you're on 50 amp service and have 240V entering your rig. As to the fuel lines, you already have the supply and EVAP line. You'd simply need a 3/8ths inch rubber return line. It's very easy to plumb that back into your fuel tank by using the filler neck adapter I linked below for $50. Then, the last thing you'd need is the EFI fuel pump which is different from the carb pump. It's really a straightforward and easy changeover. I just never got to it as my carb unit always works. I keep Stabil in the tank year round and never have an issue. Anyways, here's the tank filler neck adapter for the return line:

Filler neck tie in...

Regards, Rodney
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

dohler1
Explorer
Explorer
Spoke to my local ONAN dealer about this exact issue. Here is what they advised:
needs the following in the Fuel tank:
--Supply return & purge lines for the EVAP EFI unit.
--Has to be rewired to just produce 120 volt as they are 120/240 volts

5.5 HGJAD-6759(diamond symbol)

if you have figured this out please let me know. I have the 5500 carbureted one now. I am always having issues with it. Want to go EFI on our new one.

offtohavasu
Explorer
Explorer
Good info Rodney.

taken
Explorer
Explorer
I was told by Onan when I was considering converting to EFI that the EFI version still utilizes a EVAP line. I'm betting it's a big deal (IE: costs bucks) to get something CARB certified and they don't sell enough EFI units for it to be worth the expense yet. Just a guess though...
Regards, Rodney
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

offtohavasu
Explorer
Explorer
allcool wrote:
offtohavasu wrote:
Oddly enough, as it runs cleaner, it doesn't show CARB compliant on their website.

Interesting...

Although I have browsed CARB before on occasion, not up on its exact operations or guidelines.

Many manufactures find loopholes if the engine in question is more or less the same model/series as previous engines that have passed CARB. Not saying thats what happened, or that Onan is running with a non compliant genny, ijdk..?
More than likely if a carbureted engine that is more or less exactly the same, passed CARB, then the efi version should at least be as clean you would think, yes..?

jmo

That's common sense being applied. You know where the fits in CARBs regulations...nowhere. The EVAP generator is the one that is CARB compliant, and I'm wondering if the EFI version doesn't have an EVAP system, and that's why it is not. It sucks being in California.

allcool
Explorer
Explorer
offtohavasu wrote:
Oddly enough, as it runs cleaner, it doesn't show CARB compliant on their website.

Interesting...

Although I have browsed CARB before on occasion, not up on its exact operations or guidelines.

Many manufactures find loopholes if the engine in question is more or less the same model/series as previous engines that have passed CARB. Not saying thats what happened, or that Onan is running with a non compliant genny, ijdk..?
More than likely if a carbureted engine that is more or less exactly the same, passed CARB, then the efi version should at least be as clean you would think, yes..?

jmo
2007 WW FSW3200
RZRS k&t Turbo
2 LT500
1 Lt500 hybrid
F350 CC 6.7PS Platinum

offtohavasu
Explorer
Explorer

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like Onan uses EFI in 5500kw units and larger. If in 4k's, I don't see it. I think EFI would be a worthwhile upgrade.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
taken wrote:
Bedlam wrote:
Your other option is to go to a LPG powered generator. I never had problems with my carbureted Marquis 5500 in my toy hauler because we used it often, but now I have a little 2500 LPG model in my truck camper and am enjoying the cleaner burning fuel with less residue.

LP gensets burn through lots of fuel. I can understand having one on a standard 5ver but on a toyhauler with dedicated fuel tanks, it just doesn't make sense.

Agreed.

Truck camper compared to a toy hauler is apples to oranges. Can't compare.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail