cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reese Revolution and B&W

firepoggy
Explorer
Explorer
I have spent the majority of my day reading various websites and comments about the companion hitch and the reese revolution not being compatible.

My question is what if you leave the revolution in the locked position?

When we took delivery of our new trailer I was also given the directions to unlock the pin. I have no desire to do so.

I recently purchase a new pickup and the shortbed is 2in shorter than my last. I would like to purchase the companion slider but I am reading that it is a no go with the revolution because the pivot point is moved back and causes stress.

Am I wrong to think that leaving the pivot point at the hitch by leaving the revolution locked should make it compatible?

Thanks in advance.
Firepoggy from Iowa
2014 Shasta Phoenix 35BH
2014 Ram 3500 Cummins
12 REPLIES 12

jus2shy
Explorer
Explorer
firepoggy, have you considered getting the mopar 5th wheel prep kit added to your truck? Should be about 250 bucks. It's part number 82213665AB. This should allow you to keep your B&W gooseneck. Then you can buy a reese picture frame adapter for about $370 dollars to stack on the mopar 5th wheel prep package and allow you to use your reese pro series hitch you already own. So for about $620 dollars, you can use your conventional 5th wheel and the reese revolution hitch the way it was meant to be used. Cheaper than a sliding setup and you still get a flat bed when you don't need the 5th wheel.

Just one way to work with what you already have.
E'Aho L'ua
2013 RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW |Cummins @ 370/800| 68RFE| 3.42 gears
Currently Rig-less (still shopping and biding my time)

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
firepoggy wrote:
My mistake for not mentioning earlier that the truck already has BW turnover. I occasionally assist a friend with hauling horse trailers.

I do appreciate the advice. I want to do this right the first time.

Now it makes much more sense. Again, give B&W a call and ask about adding the four corner bolts to a standard Companion hitch. This adds a little work every time you want to make the switch, but for occasional gooseneck towing, maybe that will be the best tradeoff.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

firepoggy
Explorer
Explorer
My mistake for not mentioning earlier that the truck already has BW turnover. I occasionally assist a friend with hauling horse trailers.

I do appreciate the advice. I want to do this right the first time.
Firepoggy from Iowa
2014 Shasta Phoenix 35BH
2014 Ram 3500 Cummins

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Which is the real case???

firepoggy wrote:

I do not wish to have the rails in the bed anymore.

Or

firepoggy wrote:

If you know of any hitches that fit in the goosneck hole

Do you need a gooseneck setup for other towing purposes? If not get a fifth wheel hitch with an 'under bed mounting system' (UBS) and unlock the Revolution.

If you need to also tow gooseneck trailers, but can live with a little more effort making the changeover, then call B&W and ask about adding 4 corner bolts on the original Companion hitch. In the past, they have OK'd using the Companion with the Revolution provided the extra bolts are added to keep the Companion from twisting.

Hope this helps.
Larry Day
Rig Photos

firepoggy
Explorer
Explorer
If you know of any hitches that fit in the goosneck hole and can accept the reese revolution, please post as I am looking to purchase soon.

I have a message into Draw Tite to see if the Hi-Rise 18k is compatible. This will save me considerably over the price of a slider.
Firepoggy from Iowa
2014 Shasta Phoenix 35BH
2014 Ram 3500 Cummins

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
firepoggy wrote:
I dont currently have a companion.

I am looking at the companion slider because I do not wish to have the rails in the bed anymore.

There are plenty of fifth wheel hitches that do not have rails in the bed. But then nothing wrong with buying two 1st class tickets and using only one of them.

I forgot to include one other BIG difference. The Companion is a manual slider that weighs almost 300 lbs. The Revolution works automatically.
Larry Day
Rig Photos

firepoggy
Explorer
Explorer
I dont currently have a companion.

The hitch I do have is a reese pro series that the dealer of my previous 5er gave us during the purchase process.

I am looking at the companion slider because I do not wish to have the rails in the bed anymore.

I contacted B&W (very friendly) and was told as long as the pin is locked and I do not alter the pivot point from the hitch, I am fine.

Thanks for the feedback.
Firepoggy from Iowa
2014 Shasta Phoenix 35BH
2014 Ram 3500 Cummins

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
jus2shy wrote:

It sounds like the owner has a B&W Companion hitch, which cannot handle the revolution due to tortional forces exerted on the hitch. If the user had a patriot or any of the bases that use more than a single point of contact, then he/she wouldn't have that problem.

OP stated " I would like to purchase the companion slider".
Larry Day
Rig Photos

jus2shy
Explorer
Explorer
Dayle1 wrote:
Why would you not take advantage of the Revolution? If you use it, you don't need a slider of any type. In addition, the fiver reacts faster when backing up so it requires less distance to maneuver. When making turns, it will not cut inside the truck tires as much as other fivers, so you are less likely to hit a curb or other object. And finally, the length of the pin box that actually pivots is much less than any other extended pin box, therefore it is impossible for the back of the pin box to hit the tailgate or sides of the truck bed. These are all positives that are unobtainable with any other solution.

It sounds like the owner has a B&W Companion hitch, which cannot handle the revolution due to tortional forces exerted on the hitch. If the user had a patriot or any of the bases that use more than a single point of contact, then he/she wouldn't have that problem.
E'Aho L'ua
2013 RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW |Cummins @ 370/800| 68RFE| 3.42 gears
Currently Rig-less (still shopping and biding my time)

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why would you not take advantage of the Revolution? If you use it, you don't need a slider of any type. In addition, the fiver reacts faster when backing up so it requires less distance to maneuver. When making turns, it will not cut inside the truck tires as much as other fivers, so you are less likely to hit a curb or other object. And finally, the length of the pin box that actually pivots is much less than any other extended pin box, therefore it is impossible for the back of the pin box to hit the tailgate or sides of the truck bed. These are all positives that are unobtainable with any other solution.
Larry Day
Rig Photos

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
I thought the reason for the revolution pin box was so you wouldn't need a slider. Did I miss something???
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

glazier
Explorer II
Explorer II
You will have no problem if you leave it locked like a standard pin box.
2017 Grand Design Momentum 328M
2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Duramax CC/SB/4X4
B&W Companion Slider