Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Reese Titan - MOR/ryde combination

LuvRvn
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All,

We're brand new to fifth wheel towing and are considering a Reese Titan 20K hitch and rear axle air bags to help eliminate the bucking and chucking we've read about. Would adding a MOR/ryde pin box be necessary? Would we be just doubling up on the damping effect of the hitch?
11 REPLIES 11

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
LuvRvn wrote:
Hi All,

Wanted to follow up and say we went with the B&W Patriot 18K hitch and the MORRyde pin box and could not have been happier. Our maiden voyage was a 1500 mile trip from OH through upper New York, we stayed in VT and then back home through PA & VA to Raleigh. The truck was just awesome. It rode really solid, had no problems on hills or with tractor trailers. The bucking/chucking effect was hardly noticeable. I'd say it was much less jarring than towing our old 26' TT. Can't wait to get out again. Thanks to all again for your comments.
Dave

Good call on the B&W! It will serve you well for many years.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Air bags on the TV are primarily for load leveling. I don't know they do much for chucking. If your not needing to lift the rear of the truck you would be better off with a set of good shocks like Bilsteins.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

LuvRvn
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

Wanted to follow up and say we went with the B&W Patriot 18K hitch and the MORRyde pin box and could not have been happier. Our maiden voyage was a 1500 mile trip from OH through upper New York, we stayed in VT and then back home through PA & VA to Raleigh. The truck was just awesome. It rode really solid, had no problems on hills or with tractor trailers. The bucking/chucking effect was hardly noticeable. I'd say it was much less jarring than towing our old 26' TT. Can't wait to get out again. Thanks to all again for your comments.
Dave

ZOSO
Explorer
Explorer
Dave,
This is the hitch I am running. I have a Munroe hauler body on a medium duty truck so it's a bit different than a pick up truck unit. I do believe the head is the same.

link

As you can see in the write up the base is 50 pounds and the head is 75 pounds. I'm 50 and have no issue at all installing and removing the hitch. I do believe the base on a pick up truck unit is heavier.

I had the 2007 version of this model in my 07 Dodge dually...link

It was great. Base is a fair bit heavier. I was putting it in and out by myself then. I wonder if they are also including the weight of the frame connection components as "base". You can see by perusing the B&W site, there are several styles to choose from to find what suits personal needs best. Good luck with it all Dave.:)

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
The US Made B&W RVK3255 18K hitch head is easily removed at 52#'s with two pins and the base is also easily removed at 86#'s with 4 pins.

Ask REESE where the Titan is made and closely look at the thickness of the jaws along with the latching system. Complicated latching systems can lead to this.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

LuvRvn
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for your replies and your advice. I'm going to look into the B&W hitch with the MOR/ryde combination a little more. Based on this and other posts, B&W owners really love their hitch. The Titan looks like a good hitch too and it can be disassembled for easier removal which was important for me. I'm not sure if that can be done with the B&W but I'll look into it. kennethwooster and ZOSO, which B&W model do you have?

Our TV is a new 2015 Silverado 3500, diesel, long bed, SRW, no bed rails. The trailer is a 2015 Cedar Creek 36CKTS.

phillyg, thanks for your point about the air bags. Since our TV is a 1-ton they are probably not needed. That's an option I'll hold off for now and leave as "wait and see".

Any more ideas/advice is welcome. Thanks again.

Dave

ZOSO
Explorer
Explorer
I'm running a B&W hitch and a Mor-Ryde pinbox. Very tight, secure connection and zero chucking. Even on hard downshifts in the mountains...Zero chucking.

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
I've used Mor Ride pin box on the last 2 5th. Would not have a trailer without the pin box. Could not believe how well it took out the chucking, and the noise. My first was with a Reese, but now that I'm using a B&W its a really sweet ride. The B&W is a very well made hitch. This will also help a lot. Only put on air bags if you are that overweight. They will help your ride some while pulling but while solo they can make it rough even when reducing air down to 10 psi. You will not regret the Mor Ride box.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Airbags for your TV rear axle won't reduce chucking. Chucking is the result of the interaction between the TV and the FW. If you haven't sealed the deal yet on the FW, you can possibly work a upgraded pinbox into the deal. I have no opinion on which pinbox is best, but my research shows the Moryde to be the simplest and most cost-effective solution.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
What is your truck? Does it already have the standard bed rails? If so Look at the US Made B&W RVK3255 18K for $650 at tweets.com. Much better quality IMHO, simple solid design and no question if I am hitched.

Fill in the blanks you will get better answers!

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
LuvRvn wrote:
Hello All,

We're brand new to fifth wheel towing and are considering a Reese Titan 20K hitch and rear axle air bags to help eliminate the bucking and chucking we've read about. Would adding a MOR/ryde pin box be necessary? Would we be just doubling up on the damping effect of the hitch?

Until you put your setup (Tow veh & RV) together you don't know that you will have a problem. Quit trying to solve problems you haven't found. Get a good hitch and see what happens.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler