cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Refrigerator vent fan

rattleNsmoke
Explorer
Explorer
Where can I get a good 12v powerful vent fan AND a thermistor to automatically control the on\off? I plan on mounting the fan under my roof vent screen in the refrig flue. For those that have done this installation, did you cut the screen, or unscrew the vent lid base from the roof?
Mike
2010 Cedar Creek 34SATS (The Beast) & 20k Curt Q20 roller slider hitch
2006 Ford F350 SRW,SC Powerstroke diesel Lariat

2003 Harley Heritage Softail (Hogzilla)
and a wifey with tons of patience....
17 REPLIES 17

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone use one of the replacement roof covers with a solar fan?

Yes I went through 2 of them, they are junk and I am glad I got them dirt cheap. Panels dont last at all..maybe a few months before they break. Dont waste your money.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Anyone use one of the replacement roof covers with a solar fan?

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
popeyemth wrote:
bob_nestor wrote:
I went thru a similar effort on my Class B which doesn't have a roof vent. My solution was similar though and I documented my findings, observations and method including where to obtains parts, etc. If this might be helpful it can be found at:

Chillin with Bob

MUCH better write up than mine! Puts my one finger typing on this iPhone to shame and the depth of research is awesome .
My eBay snap switch and fans are much simpler and quite a lot cheaper than your sophisticated set up and I suspect work as well.
Thanks,Mike

Thanks Mike! I like your temperature switch much better then mine. I've had problems with the ones I use. They seem to be ultra sensitive to voltage changes and tend to burn themselves up. On my fan selection I was trying to get the best airflow with the lowest power use since I like to dry camp. You can find cheaper fans with higher CFM, but the pressure of the air column produced needs to be as high as possible. The CFM ratings don;'t tell the whole story since that is measured with minimum airflow resistance. Put them behind a screen or something that disrupts the airflow and the actual CFM can be quite a bit lower.

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
SCVJeff wrote:
popeyemth wrote:
Pretty easy set up but $30 X 2 is a lot more than computer fans ($2 X 2 plus $6 for a snap switch) and less airflow too.
Thanks for the link!
Never said it was cheap but it's done, and the fans are dead silent unlike most PC fans. Those two on the back of the 1200 are already a distraction.. The whole point isn't to create a hurricane, but keep air flowing. That's all that's needed.

And it's so simple to install it's almost "plug and play " !
Thanks again,
Mike
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
bob_nestor wrote:
I went thru a similar effort on my Class B which doesn't have a roof vent. My solution was similar though and I documented my findings, observations and method including where to obtains parts, etc. If this might be helpful it can be found at:

Chillin with Bob

MUCH better write up than mine! Puts my one finger typing on this iPhone to shame and the depth of research is awesome .
My eBay snap switch and fans are much simpler and quite a lot cheaper than your sophisticated set up and I suspect work as well.
Thanks,Mike
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
Normally open the contacts are not connected (no power gets through to fan) UNTIL the swich is activated then the power gets through to the fan.
Normally closed the contacts ARE connected until the switch is activated then no power gets through-think of the shut off on a garage door when it gets to the bottom.
It's normally closed to let power to the motor until the door gets to the bottom and "makes" the switch which then cuts power to the motor to stop the door .
What we want is a normally open (or N.0.) snap switch that sends power to the fan only when it's activated (or "made") by the right temperature then goes back to its "normally open " condition after things cool to shut off power to the fan.
Hope this helped,
Mike

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III

Chillin with Bob

rattleNsmoke
Explorer
Explorer
Excuse my basic electrical ignorance, but what's the difference between using a 'normally open' switch -vs- a 'normally closed' one?
Mike
2010 Cedar Creek 34SATS (The Beast) & 20k Curt Q20 roller slider hitch
2006 Ford F350 SRW,SC Powerstroke diesel Lariat

2003 Harley Heritage Softail (Hogzilla)
and a wifey with tons of patience....

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
popeyemth wrote:
Pretty easy set up but $30 X 2 is a lot more than computer fans ($2 X 2 plus $6 for a snap switch) and less airflow too.
Thanks for the link!
Never said it was cheap but it's done, and the fans are dead silent unlike most PC fans. Those two on the back of the 1200 are already a distraction.. The whole point isn't to create a hurricane, but keep air flowing. That's all that's needed.

BTW- When I bought those they weren't nearly that expensive.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the link!

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
Could you give us a link to the fans?
Thanks,Mike

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Camco or Valterra make a ducted fan with the snap temp sensor built on it. The decide is built to go right below the screen, and the tube containing the fan has a couple of 'wings' that allow you to give it a twist and it wedges into the roof on either side of the vent. I have two up there.

Found It
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
This eBay seller is great to work with for themo switches

Please note this picture is of a NORMALLY CLOSED
What you will need is a identical item but NORMALLY OPEN
Good Luck, Mike

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
There should be DC connections in the back of the fridge to run the control board.
The computer fans from eBay about $2.00 each
I cut a 4 inch hole in the screen and put the fans under it then put window screening over it to keep spiders out.