cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replace suburban SW12DE with Atwood On Demand?

-lenny-
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,

We are finding the water heater in our new coach leaves a bit to be desired. We prefer longer showers, and the recovery rate does not permit this. Our old trailer if you had both power and gas heaters on, provided an ample source of hot water and fast recovery when you did run out. Perhaps I am missing something here, but I have the gas heater on, as well as the electric and even a relatively quick shower exhausts the hot water supply. So we are considering replacing the hot water tank with an Atwood on demand heater. Interested to hear pros and cons, or different ideas all together. Thanks in advance.

We camp almost exclusively in full service sites. Overnight in walmart a few times a year. No boondocking, no kids.
4 REPLIES 4

-lenny-
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the replies. I do believe the electric is working, but it seems to have quite poor performance. I will check to make sure I am not getting cold mixed in with the hot, and go from there. I appreciate the feedback regarding the on demand unit, don't want to spend the money if it is a waste.

rskeans
Explorer
Explorer
I have only heard negative comments about the Atwood on demand heater.
'14 RAM CTD,Aisin,CC,DRW,4.10 Longhorn, LB
Aerotanks.com 70 gal underbed fuel tank.
Lifestyle LS36FW, Andersen Ultimate AL hitch

Splashers3
Explorer
Explorer
Old Biscuit gave you some very good suggestions - including the fact that a lot of folks have been disappointed with the on-demand systems. Do a search and you will see.

Good Luck.
2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank, 18K B&W Patriot.
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway, 34RL2 - w/Bells & Whistles and disc brakes
Traded 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Are you sure the electric element is heating?

Suburban uses a 12,000 btu/hr burner (2000 btu larger than Atwood)
With gas/electric it has the fastest recovery time (10 gallons/hr with gas and an addition 6 gallon/hr with electric)

Either the electric is NOT working
OR
Cold water is mixing with Hot.......bypass valve leaking thru/not closed or outside shower not turned off with hot/cold knobs (just on handle)

Before replacing unit I would verify that both sources are heating.....and cold water isn't being mixed with hot

Besides....those on demand leave a lot to be desired in RV use
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31