cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing brakes

slotsavegas
Explorer
Explorer
I currently have twin 6K axles with the 12X2" electric brakes with 5 hole backing plates. I was thinking of replacing them with the entire kit (backing plate and all) using the 12X2" 7K sets. These have the same 5 hole configuration for attaching to the axle. I have been told the only difference between the 6K and 7K is the 7K has a slightly larger magnet. If this is the case, then a minor adjustment to the brake controller should control the more aggressive braking of the larger magnet.

Has anyone done this ? Does anyone see any issues with this ?

Thanks for any responses.
6 REPLIES 6

slotsavegas
Explorer
Explorer
Neal10a

The only difference I have been able to determine is the magnet size. The 7K is slightly larger than the 6K. All other springs, shoes and other parts are exactly the same. This results in a slightly more aggressive braking action which can be adjusted for with the controller.

Rvpapa
Explorer
Explorer
Shoe material
Art.

neal10a
Explorer
Explorer
what is the difference between 12x2 6k brakes and 12x2 7k brakes. They both have the same swept area and magnets I think.

Rvpapa
Explorer
Explorer
Works perfectly and gives better brakes.
Art.

Roger10378
Explorer II
Explorer II
That's what I did. Dexter auto adjusting brakes. They even fit on my ALCO axle.
2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
I always use the full backing plate kit to replace the brakes. I haven't gone from 6K to 7K but have found the backing plate kit the best and easiest way to go plus it's not that expensive.

When I needed to replace a broken suspension spring, I called Dexter (my axles are Dexters) and asked if I could go with the 7K springs and was told it was an exact fit. I went with the 7K and had no problem replacing all four spring sets.

Call your axle manufacturer to confirm the 7K brkes will work.