cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacing the Landing Gear Motor

Bob1180
Explorer
Explorer
What is the diffaculty level of replacing a landing gear motor? Best place to purchase one.
4 REPLIES 4

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
up2nogood wrote:
TucsonJim wrote:
It shouldn't take you more than 30 minutes or so. Are you sure you have a motor problem? I thought I did, but it was actually a gear problem in one of the legs.

I agree, had some flat spots on the worm gear, the one I had was not made to remove the worm gear from the landing leg but with a little work got it out, and took it to a machine shop, and they turned it ,and cleaned up the threads, runs great . It is a pretty quick job to replace a landing leg or gear box .

Same with me. Lost some gear teeth. Lippert system. Motor change is easy. Leg removal and replace takes some more tools and a little more work. But not all that bad if you can work with your hands, have a good jack, a couple of 9/16 wrenches. And have reasonable skills.
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonJim wrote:
It shouldn't take you more than 30 minutes or so. Are you sure you have a motor problem? I thought I did, but it was actually a gear problem in one of the legs.

I agree, had some flat spots on the worm gear, the one I had was not made to remove the worm gear from the landing leg but with a little work got it out, and took it to a machine shop, and they turned it ,and cleaned up the threads, runs great . It is a pretty quick job to replace a landing leg or gear box .

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Very easy. If you have Venture mfg landing gear, give them a call and they will sell you what you need. In fact, if you have a Venture Mfg landing gear, it is fairly inexpensive and easy to swap to a dual motor system.