cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roof repairs?

SeanH43
Explorer
Explorer
So my employer transfered me to a new work location. Had to tow my 1993 Terry Resort in a 40+ head wind with 60 mph gusts. I knew the roof seam needed resealed and had bought the stuff to do it but hadn't had time to get to it. Unfortunately, the Wyoming wind started peeling the "skin" off the roof exposing the wood underneath. It's not a large area yet, just a couple patches 1-2 ft wide. I've managed to get a tarp over it for now until I can get it fixed. Anyone have suggestions for what to cover it with?
14 REPLIES 14

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
Any RV dealer in the area you are located should have eternabond.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

SeanH43
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the ideas Joe. Actually went back to Amazon and found Eternabond shipped from Amazon. Can be overnighted thru FedEx rather than USPS since they lost the original shipment. I'll just be glad when its done and I can worry about rest of roof when warmer weather returns!

Joe417
Explorer
Explorer
Since it sounds like you need to replace the roof when you have time, glue the rubber down for now and cover the torn areas with dicor roof caulk.

Roofs of that vintage were install with contact cement which was applied to both surfaces and allowed to dry and then rolled into place. Today they use a water based acrylic which will cure without air.

Many hardware stores sell EPDM roofing and adhesives which you can buy to just patch over the torn area. They will be dark grey or black, but since you need to replace it the color doesn't matter. They also sell EPDM for glueing up shower pans under ceramic tile. These will work in a pinch.

If you can't find dicor for rubber roofs then in an emergency I would use standard butyl caulk for gutters from the hardware store. It stays soft and can be removed, but it would be sticky and will stop water.

The other thing you can use in an emergency is the Flexseal. Put some screws with washers to hold the rubber down in place and use the Flexseal to make it water proof. It come in a lot of different colors. Lowes sells it in spray, quart, or gallon.
Joe and Evelyn

SeanH43
Explorer
Explorer
Couldn't really find a good alternative. Nearest distributor is Grainger and they want $178 a roll. Went to Eternabond website and its $50 cheaper direct. What a hassle and now its been 2 weeks and roof is still not done!

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
Well that just sucks ! Sorry.

SeanH43
Explorer
Explorer
Well unfortunately it is now Sat and no package. Amazon finally give me the option for a refund. USPS tracking number stopped a shipper origination in St Paul last Thurs. No explanations. It just stopped. Going to Tractor Supply and Bomgaars to look for an alternative as I can no longer wait!

SeanH43
Explorer
Explorer
Ordered from Amazon. Will arrive Monday. Thanks for all replies!

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here you go: AMAZON
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
You don't need a local distributor to get the Eternabond. Lots of places on-line to find it. Order it today and have it by the end of the week.

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
SeanH43 wrote:
Couldn't find a distributor close to me. Any other ideas?

I would glue the loose rubber down to the roof with a suitable product and order eternabond online from a fast shipper. Leave tarp on until it arrives.

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
After 23 years its time for a new one piece rubber roof.

SeanH43
Explorer
Explorer
Couldn't find a distributor close to me. Any other ideas?

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
eTERENA\\\

Eternabond tape for a quick fix
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller