cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roof Vent Cap Missing

Glenalt
Explorer
Explorer
Yesterday I discovered that the vent cap on the refrigerator/furnace side of the coach is missing. It must have blown off while on the trip because it was there just prior to leaving. I don't know what it vents.

My question is this. It's raining and what will it damage from not being covered and should I put a baggie on it until I can get one. I'm not running the furnace but am using the fridge.

Do they sell just the cap or do I need to replace the whole assembly that I have to reseal?

Thanks.
9 REPLIES 9

Glenalt
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks I appreciate all the help. I'm going to a big box store to get a replacement cap today.

Hvyhauler
Explorer
Explorer
A 3 inch pvc "drainage" cap fits over my vent pipe cap holder nice and tight,pvc drainage caps are not schedule 40 (thinner) found in drainage pipe section of the plumbing dept.

I bought 2 at Lowes for about $1.50 each,I did drill a hole in each cap and used the existing screw which held the oem cover/cap in place.Put silicon sealer over the screw and on all 3 legs where the cap sits on the cover/cap holder and its done,much more durable than the oem cover.

I did have to shorten the screw about 3/4 inch and re-sharpen the tip so it wouldn't be too long.Took me about 30 minutes to complete and alot cheaper than a thin oem cap or cap assembly.
2006 Dodge 3500 DRW SLT 4x4 LB QC CTD PullRite SuperGlide
2007 Mountaineer 336RLT Mich. XPS Ribs Duro Max XP4400E Gen.
2000 Lance 1130 Torklifts/SL/Stainless Generac Gen.
2 Rescued Camping Collies (always ready to go)

rehless
Explorer
Explorer
I keep losing one to an overhanging tree on my exit road. You can get just the vent cap.
I found one online that is shaped like a shroud with three legs for screws.
Screwed it down and hopefully, it will last a while.

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would cover it as it could be an attic vent cap and you don't want water getting in the attic.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Agree with above, I would cover it, at least while raining. You can replace it with a universal cap, with inside the pipe grippers, or buy the same complete vent, and just use the cap.

I carry a universal one with me, just for emergency. I also carry a 14" spare roof vent cap, just in case. They don't take up much room.

Jerry

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Glenalt wrote:
It is a 2" white pvc vent. I wasn't sure I wanted to baggie is if it was a vent for an appliance but I don't want water getting into the appliance either.

There is another one on the other side of the coach that I'm sure vents the tanks but just now sure about this one.

Vent caps......grey tank, black tank, galley tank (if you have one), attic vent (if you have) etc.

They are used to keep debris out of vent lines and keep rain out.

Based on some of the lousy installs I have seen....I would bag it to keep rain out..cause rain could get into roof, under roof material, inside walls
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Glenalt
Explorer
Explorer
It is a 2" white pvc vent. I wasn't sure I wanted to baggie is if it was a vent for an appliance but I don't want water getting into the appliance either.

There is another one on the other side of the coach that I'm sure vents the tanks but just now sure about this one.

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
I suspect it's a 2" white vent cap that you are missing if you are looking at a 2" black pvc pipe un-capped on your roof.

If that's the case its either a grey or black vent stack and a bit of rain shouldn't cause any harm....just some liquid in the respective tank. Fairly inexpensive to replace, and they are a pressure fit with metal clips holding them to the pvc pipe.

Daryll
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Glenalt wrote:
Yesterday I discovered that the vent cap on the refrigerator/furnace side of the coach is missing. It must have blown off while on the trip because it was there just prior to leaving. I don't know what it vents.

My question is this. It's raining and what will it damage from not being covered and should I put a baggie on it until I can get one. I'm not running the furnace but am using the fridge.

Do they sell just the cap or do I need to replace the whole assembly that I have to reseal?

Thanks.

The fridge vent, if on the roof, is about 2' long. If on the side of a slide, it's the same size as the lower vent, about 3' below it. The furnace vent is almost always on the side of the coach. Most likely it's a tank vent, but putting a baggie on it, loosely, might not hurt, just to be sure.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member