cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

rusty landing gear

0rion
Explorer
Explorer
Any tips on helping with this problem? Last year I took a wire brush to them and cleaned them up then painted them. They're already rusty again. I thought about using POR-15 on them but not sure if they will just scrape that off when retracting them and cause more issues than I currently have. Not a huge deal but bothers me to look at them. I guess worse case scenario is I'll just have to pain them every spring or something.
7 REPLIES 7

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another Ospho user. Ace hardware had it a couple of years ago.did my complete underside as the previous owner must have driving on some roads that had chloride on then. Then I painted it. Didn't take long but is a messy job. Worked great.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Ron Nielson wrote:
Wash them with a stiff brush. Let dry. Apply OSPHO rust converter/metal primer with a spray bottle. OSPHO RUST CONVERTER Make sure you use goggles for eye protection. After it dries, spray with rust resistant paint. Should never have problems again. I did my entire trailer frame with this stuff and it works great.

OSPHO is no longer on the shelf here locally. I got the same stuff in a gallon jug at Home Depot. it is in the paint prep section. Basically all the stuff is a solution of phosphoric acid. it converts the iron oxide (rust) to iron phosphate which is inert.

Ron_Nielson
Explorer
Explorer
Wash them with a stiff brush. Let dry. Apply OSPHO rust converter/metal primer with a spray bottle. OSPHO RUST CONVERTER Make sure you use goggles for eye protection. After it dries, spray with rust resistant paint. Should never have problems again. I did my entire trailer frame with this stuff and it works great.

DelawareCamper
Explorer
Explorer
maybe linex or rhino coat them

0rion
Explorer
Explorer
thanks guys I'll look into both of those

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't tried it but there is a product called rust reformer that supposedly converts the rust into something better. There are three posts on this subject where the user recommends Rustoleum Rust Reformer and he actually used it on his landing gear.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
Try removing the paint and apply Cold galvanizing compound. Lowes ,Home Depot, Hardware store
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!