cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Insurance

mikewats
Explorer
Explorer
I switched from Progressive insurance for my 5th wheel last year to National General . My rate was $489.00 for full coverage. I just got my renewal policy for 2014 it has doubled!!! I have had no claims or changes in my status. Has anyone else run into this type of rate increase from these people? Also can anyone recommend a good quality insurer? It might be time to change.

Thanks,

Mike Watson
Mikewats
06 Dodge 3500DRW-5.9 Banks Econo-tuner, High Ram intake, Ram Air Intake Sys.
2011 Carriage Cameo 36 FWS, 17.5 Michelin
26 REPLIES 26

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just got my National General bill. Mine went up a bit, but not much. Of course it will drop to about half when I call them and tell them that it will be in storage by the time the new time frame takes effect.

Duck
Explorer
Explorer
I would call and ask for a explanation for the rate increase. Mistakes are made by insurance companies when it comes to billing.
Don
08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL {For Sale}

mikewats
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone heard of Blue Sky insurance?
Mikewats
06 Dodge 3500DRW-5.9 Banks Econo-tuner, High Ram intake, Ram Air Intake Sys.
2011 Carriage Cameo 36 FWS, 17.5 Michelin

Ohiojude
Explorer
Explorer
I feel your pain. We went thru this same thing a few years ago. We now have Erie Ins (independent agent) and no issues. We did the bundle thing also.
2015 Chevy 3500 LTZ diesel dually, Curt Q20 Hitch
**traded in-the lemon- 2012 Winnie Raven 5th Wheel**
for a marvelous-2014 Big Country 3596RE
Traveling with 3 wonderful Feline Furboys Milo, Mason and Mozart

BuckBarker
Explorer
Explorer
I use Explorer RV and am very happy so far. I can't bundle home and RV because there are only a couple companies that write homeowner's insurance in FL. They choose to cherry-pick the states of low risk.

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Many companies are using a cut-rate first year to rope customers in. INA did it to me on my cars a while back. Luck to be welcomed home by GEICO (which I had used for many years.)

Try Gilbert RV Insurance. They are brokers for several companies and have extensive experience with RVers. (How many days a year do you use the rig?? etc.) www.gilbertrvinsurance.com
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Landroamer1
Explorer
Explorer
We have Erie Insurance . House , Vehicles , and 5er. 13 Dutchmen Denali 319 RLS is only $215 for the year
14 GMC 2500 HD D/A 2018 Wildcat 375 MC

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
laknox wrote:
mikewats wrote:
I switched from Progressive insurance for my 5th wheel last year to National General . My rate was $489.00 for full coverage. I just got my renewal policy for 2014 it has doubled!!! I have had no claims or changes in my status. Has anyone else run into this type of rate increase from these people? Also can anyone recommend a good quality insurer? It might be time to change.

Thanks,

Mike Watson

Mike, did you try combining it with your homeowners and/or car insurance? I couldn't beat Farm Bureau's price when added to my master policy. Lyle

X2 combining has always worked for us. We have Safeco Ins. but insurance rates vary a lot across the country and between states. Find an independent agency so they can check rates from many different companies. And I have them check rates every renewal time. I have no loyalty to insurance companies as they do stuff like this all the time.

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
darsben wrote:
I find more and more insurance companies doing this type of low ball to get you into the company then hoping you do not cancel. I bet an analysis has shown them this route is profitable.
To me it is the same mentality as the person who gasses up at a higher price when a lower price is just next door and just as convenient.
Either not paying attention, too lazy or inertia.
The only way to stop the practice is to make it unprofitable for the companies.

BTW I am very happy with State Farm for home autos and Class A
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
I find more and more insurance companies doing this type of low ball to get you into the company then hoping you do not cancel. I bet an analysis has shown them this route is profitable.
To me it is the same mentality as the person who gasses up at a higher price when a lower price is just next door and just as convenient.
Either not paying attention, too lazy or inertia.
The only way to stop the practice is to make it unprofitable for the companies.
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
Check National Interstate.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
mikewats wrote:

Thanks,

Mike Watson

Mike, did you try combining it with your homeowners and/or car insurance? I couldn't beat Farm Bureau's price when added to my master policy.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member