cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Q's about fifths that are pre-wired for a second AC.

RKW
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen quite a few RV's that are pre-wired for a second AC. Usually it's the vent in the bedroom.

1) Does this second AC become part of the ducted air, or is it unducted?

2) Are those pre-wired RV's all 50 amp?

Thanks in advance.
Ryan

• 2015 Ford F250

• 2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8280 WS

• Dual Honda EU2000i Generators

The wages of sin are death; but after they're done taking out taxes, it's just a tired feeling.
9 REPLIES 9

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
Our bedroom 15k low profile a/c is not ducted but does have its own thermostat control. There is not enough ceiling space to duct it in the HitchHiker Discover America series. We have a 50 amp rig. The unit in our bedroom will freeze you out. We rarely use it. We are more likely to use its heat pump feature.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

Pop-Pop_C
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO!!!! I would not leave the dealer without the second one.
Easier to do it now. Probably just as cheap.

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is 50a and prewired from the factory. The prewiring included a hookup to the thermostat for the main unit. I could go either ducted or non-ducted. One thermostat controls both units and each has it's own temp sensor.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
My Cameo came with one A/C. Bought in Colorado, but when I got to Texas knew I had to have a 2nd A/C. It was prewired, and had 2nd installed. It is not ducted, although rear A/C is ducted into the bedroom. Thus it cools bedroom although it puts out enough to help in the rest of RV. I just wish it was on a thermostat. Next unit I get will have 2 A/Cs from the factory, with 2 thermostats, or both ran off 1 thermostat.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

jrp
Explorer
Explorer
1) most are unducted, the 2nd unit in my Raptor TH bedroom is unducted and manual controls.
Its up to the mfg of the RV. I suppose there may be a few high end models with ducting included. But most mfg who go to the expense to install 2nd AC ducting, also include the AC unit, not leave it optional.

2) isn't every full size RV made these days 50 amp?
Jim

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is the power cord for your RV 30 amp or 50 amp. I have seen a few with 2nd A/C wiring and only 30 amps.

Some unit are designed to add a second ducted units and others are only direct blow. You will have to pull the vent trim down and look at the roof and ducts.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
Ours is set up for a 2nd non ducted unit in the bedroom. Our coach is 50 amp.
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Actually it all depende on whether the manufacturer placed the ducts that far. On mine it is NOT. Therefore the bedroom AC blows cold air directly out into the room.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
It becomes part of the ducted system IF you put a ducted unit in...otherwise a non-ducted unit can be used.

YES.....5vr's wired for second A/C Unit are 50A
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31