cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV Insurance

mikewats
Explorer
Explorer
I switched from Progressive insurance for my 5th wheel last year to National General . My rate was $489.00 for full coverage. I just got my renewal policy for 2014 it has doubled!!! I have had no claims or changes in my status. Has anyone else run into this type of rate increase from these people? Also can anyone recommend a good quality insurer? It might be time to change.

Thanks,

Mike Watson
Mikewats
06 Dodge 3500DRW-5.9 Banks Econo-tuner, High Ram intake, Ram Air Intake Sys.
2011 Carriage Cameo 36 FWS, 17.5 Michelin
26 REPLIES 26

campinrooter
Explorer
Explorer
We have every thing with Erie you need to bundle Good company call get a quote

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
mikewats wrote:
Has anyone heard of Blue Sky insurance?

Yes.

Had Blue Sky (agency).
Did fine with Progressive when I had a SD address.
Back to CA - couldn't come close to the same outfit I had in CA previously.

Wawanesa beat Progressive SD & CA, USAA, AAA, etc. - by a wide margin for the exact same coverage.
Bundling not necessary or discount for same - but (unfortunately) Wawanesa only does CA & Oregon.

Humorous - when I was in AAA to register a car a few years back - the gal asked me if I would like an insurance quote from AAA.
Said no thanks- I already did that, and AAA couldn't come close (true!)

She says: "Who do you have?"
When I told her Wawanesa, she (the AAA employee) says...."We tried them, but they turned us down because my husband uses his car for business". Kinda made my day, LOL!

Another insurer (like Blue Sky) of many RVs is Farm & City (located in the Midwest).

Suggest you thoroughly shop around!.;)

~

dezl_dr
Explorer
Explorer
We have full coverage from Blue Sky on our 2010 DRV Elite Suites....runs around $450/year.
2014 F-350 DRW, 2010 Elite Suites 38'

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
Location has everything to do with it.

Racine96
Explorer
Explorer
I have Geico and am pleased.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Come to Florida and try to bundle everything with one company. Very hard to do and impossible if you want replacement cost on your trailer.
Don

Sorry did not know that location had anything to do with it. We are with USAA and they must have folks all over the globe (well almost).

It worked for me in IL, AK, KY,KS, and parts beyond.

ddschuman
Explorer
Explorer
It depends in the type if coverage you are seeking. I was in the insurance business for 12 years (licensed general lines agent) and would advise if your RV is newer and you are wanting to really cover it for "full" coverage (meaning most everything including liability while parked and unhooked from truck...remember the time frame we live in today...it's a dog eat dog world with a lawyer on every corner), your best bet is an RV policy vs bundling it into your auto policy (the exception would be if your parent company also has an RV policy). An auto policy will not provide liability coverage unless you are connected to the tow vehicle. There are other exclusions as well but you would have to read your individual policy to know what they are. I am only familiar with Texas policies. I found there is not much premium difference between adding to your auto policy or placing on an RV policy but the coverages afforded on the RV policy far exceed those offered on the auto policy for an RV. Plus an RV policy can act just like a homeowners policy (only mobile) with respect to contents etc. Again, it really depends on the coverage you are looking for.

With all that said...if my premiums doubled at renewal with any coverage I had, I would certainly be seeking comparison quotes to see what my options were. If you use an independent agent for all your coverage, they will have other markets to get quotes from. If you go direct to the company for coverage, call them and see what else may be available and ask why rates increased so drastically? Seek additional quotes from other carriers for comparison. Mine just renewed with Progressive in May and my premium went down $3 a month (not a big decrease but it wasn't an increase so I am happy).
Escaping the real world in our "home away from home"
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
2016 Chevrolet 3500 High Country Duramax Dually

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I have National Interstate through Miller Insurance Co (Lake Oswego, Oregon)and I'm happy. Miller is an independent and not tied to any one company. Also, they are very 'full timer' friendly.

Tim

przao
Explorer
Explorer
Someone else mentioned Farm Bureau, and I have to agree with the comments. I've been with Farm Bureau for 25 years and they have always been Johnny on the spot when it comes to claims.

About 10 years ago I was driving down 93 through Nevada - straight long roads - just about dawn when a deer raced to intercept my truck - was going about 70. Needless to say I did not even find the body. Thankfully it did not push the radiator into the fan, so we tied the bumper to the body, tore off a fender liner and limped into Reno.

We went to the body shop and the guy said it would be about a week to get it done and we asked why - he replied that it takes insurance adjusters time to approve the claim. We said that we needed to be at a wedding, but he said he was sorry - the insurance company was the reason for so much time - he then foolishly said that if he had the approval he could get it done in a couple of days.

A phone call to our agent and we gave the body shop guy the phone - he had the approval on the spot without a Farm Bureau agent even seeing the damage), and then had to keep his word 🙂

As to cost - I insure my home, all vehicles, and everything in a policy called Country Squire through Farm bureau, and the cost of my 2011 fiver for complete coverage is $232/year

One other thing about the claim - was nearly $7000 in damage and my rates did not go up
PZ

Duck
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
like said, why not get quote on bundling it in with your parent carrier?

Come to Florida and try to bundle everything with one company. Very hard to do and impossible if you want replacement cost on your trailer.
Don
08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL {For Sale}

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
like said, why not get quote on bundling it in with your parent carrier?

LetsRV
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Duck.

Asking on this board won't get you an answer as to what happened or why. I also have National General, I bought a new car (replaced one 5 years old) and my rate went up $22 on renewal.

I haven't had any claims but when I've called them with questions or to take out of or put into storage they have been very helpful.

I pay my annual rate in full when due. I asked what would happen if I paid half now and half in 6 months. They said my rate would go up $600 for the year. Wow...quite a jump but also quite a savings for paying now (which I did).

Talk to them and see what's going on.
Due to depreciation the above opinions are now worth less than what you paid for them.

We are all good at something.....
I just happen to be a good bad example.

2016 Forest River Forester 3011DSF

lillyputz
Explorer
Explorer
mikewats wrote:
Has anyone heard of Blue Sky insurance?

I have Blue Sky. Had it on my other 5ers. Under $500.00 a year for full coverage on my loaded 2014 Lifestyle.

Lillyputz
Lillyputz

Two beagles. Lilly & Zuri

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just got my National General bill. Mine went up a bit, but not much. Of course it will drop to about half when I call them and tell them that it will be in storage by the time the new time frame takes effect.