cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV lot layouts + floor plans

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
We were considering a rear kitchen 5er that had the dining on the wall opposite the entry door. There were several compromises, but thought that it might be liveable. However, as I got to thinking....these questions came to mind...

1. How much room is there on that side in parks with tight spaces? If there are a row of trees or bushes on that side, the slide could be jammed up to them?

2. I would imagine that I would be looking at our neighbor's campsite with dining on that side?

We have never RV'ed, so not familiar with RV lot layouts. Would love to hear from you experienced folks!
52 REPLIES 52

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
GoPackGo wrote:
I don't like it either.

I sent email to a couple known 'wholesalers' with the model and options I wanted. They replied with quotes. The quotes were close to each other. I chose Holman Motors (Batavia, Ohio), and sent them a down payment. They ordered it with the options I wanted and I drove up (1000 miles away) and picked it up after it was shipped to them from the factory.

I guess that's about the only way to get the best prices. I am assuming that you had been in one of those units prior to purchase?

Our local dealer has a unit listed at MSRP $74,400. I asked what was their best price and they said $60k. I researched the net and found some listed at $45k!

How long did it take for the "new" chemical smell to wear off? That is a concern for us.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I don't like it either.

I sent email to a couple known 'wholesalers' with the model and options I wanted. They replied with quotes. The quotes were close to each other. I chose Holman Motors (Batavia, Ohio), and sent them a down payment. They ordered it with the options I wanted and I drove up (1000 miles away) and picked it up after it was shipped to them from the factory.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
janegowest wrote:
rhagfo, what is your brand?

Ours is a 2005 Keystone Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
GoPackGo wrote:
Mine is 35'

The Bighorn series is built on the same line as the Landmark series (Heartland's premier series). They share some options and I think they share some components, but am not sure. Maybe someone who knows for sure could let us know.

Mine stickered at well over $80k. I think I got it for about $52k.

Wow!! You got more than a third off! Did you buy it wholesale, or locally?

I wish they would stop this MSRP stuff and that the manufacturers would set a real price! I do NOT like dickering!!

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is 35'

The Bighorn series is built on the same line as the Landmark series (Heartland's premier series). They share some options and I think they share some components, but am not sure. Maybe someone who knows for sure could let us know.

Mine stickered at well over $80k. I think I got it for about $52k.

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
GoPackGo wrote:
Maybe not exactly 40,000,000. But close.

Take a look at interior pictures of my fiver at the Bighorn site. See if you think it has more or less kitchen storage then a rear kitchen. All I know is that I have lots. Not trying to sell you a rig like mine. Just suggesting the comparison to see if there is a difference.

A road trip would answer your questions. Can't tell how deep cabinets are from a picture.

Your FP looks nearly identical to the Landmark Monterey that we saw last week. It is nice and open. We liked it, but they were asking way more than we wanted to spend. What is the length on yours?

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe not exactly 40,000,000. But close.

Take a look at interior pictures of my fiver at the Bighorn site. See if you think it has more or less kitchen storage then a rear kitchen. All I know is that I have lots. Not trying to sell you a rig like mine. Just suggesting the comparison to see if there is a difference.

A road trip would answer your questions. Can't tell how deep cabinets are from a picture.

daveandviv
Explorer
Explorer
"2. I would imagine that I would be looking at our neighbor's campsite with dining on that side?"

Janegowest,
To answer your original question, we just ordered a new fifth wheel and one of the things that was on our "must have list" was a dining table on the door side of the camper. Sitting at the table and looking out at the neighbors sitting around their campsite is not what I want to do. And closing the blinds on a nice day for privacy doesn't work for us either.
2016 GMC Denali 3500 D/A
2017 Jayco Eagle FW 321RSTS

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
GoPackGo wrote:
I believe most manufacturers will tell you not to use the couch/recliners if the slides are in. Also, if you have an island kitchen sink, you will probably not be able to get to them anyway - at least that is the case in my RE model.

I've never had a situation where I couldn't open my slides. At some parks you will be closer then you like to your neighbors - just use your shades.

I keep a journal of everywhere I go and which campground I stay in - with name, address, phone #, cost, and comments. Most I will go back to. Some, I won't. RVPARKREVIEWS.COM is my best friend.

I like the large window in the back of my RE model. Many non-commercial campsites (FS, COE, etc) will have a nice view out the back. My fireplace is across the back and the TV slides up and down from behind it. I think I do have a pretty good view of the TV from the recliners or the couch - Bighorn 3010RE.

I also like how I can come in the door onto linoleum and get at one door of the fridge and also the bathroom even if all slides are in.

Jane - I know you want an office. You might look at how some manufacturers are incorporating a small area for computer hookup inside. You just use one of the kitchen chairs when you want to make use of it. Storage is different situation. I have a decent basement and no generator. That means I also have an additional storage compartment in front. I also have eye-level storage compartments surrounding my 'living room'.

I second the recommendation that it would be a good idea if you could get to some kind of large RV show and go through them. I initially visited the Lazy Days near Tampa. They have approximately 40,000,000 units to look at. Huge place. They drive you around in a golf cart. Salesmen get a printout every morning telling them what the exact inventory is.

Mine came with what I thought was a useless gimmick. It's a wireless remote to control the slides and awning. I quickly found out how useful it is. I can stand outside and send my slides out, watching to make sure there is no interference.

When I make a reservation, I always tell them my length and that I have 3 slides.

Wow! Did you mean to write "forty million" units?

Reading your response makes me want to get an RL or RE! Sooooo difficult to choose!! Do I want the view or do I want lots of kitchen cabinets?

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
We never hesitate to use the dinette in or out. Likely half of the time either way. If we are in a windy spot, we pull it in because it has a slide topper that flaps when it's windy. Not an issue with this rig.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I believe most manufacturers will tell you not to use the couch/recliners if the slides are in. Also, if you have an island kitchen sink, you will probably not be able to get to them anyway - at least that is the case in my RE model.

I've never had a situation where I couldn't open my slides. At some parks you will be closer then you like to your neighbors - just use your shades.

I keep a journal of everywhere I go and which campground I stay in - with name, address, phone #, cost, and comments. Most I will go back to. Some, I won't. RVPARKREVIEWS.COM is my best friend.

I like the large window in the back of my RE model. Many non-commercial campsites (FS, COE, etc) will have a nice view out the back. My fireplace is across the back and the TV slides up and down from behind it. I think I do have a pretty good view of the TV from the recliners or the couch - Bighorn 3010RE.

I also like how I can come in the door onto linoleum and get at one door of the fridge and also the bathroom even if all slides are in.

Jane - I know you want an office. You might look at how some manufacturers are incorporating a small area for computer hookup inside. You just use one of the kitchen chairs when you want to make use of it. Storage is different situation. I have a decent basement and no generator. That means I also have an additional storage compartment in front. I also have eye-level storage compartments surrounding my 'living room'.

I second the recommendation that it would be a good idea if you could get to some kind of large RV show and go through them. I initially visited the Lazy Days near Tampa. They have approximately 40,000,000 units to look at. Huge place. They drive you around in a golf cart. Salesmen get a printout every morning telling them what the exact inventory is.

Mine came with what I thought was a useless gimmick. It's a wireless remote to control the slides and awning. I quickly found out how useful it is. I can stand outside and send my slides out, watching to make sure there is no interference.

When I make a reservation, I always tell them my length and that I have 3 slides.

janegowest
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo, what is your brand?

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
janegowest wrote:
ReneeG wrote:
As others have said, there is so much variable, that the most important thing is the interior layout of what you pick and if it will work for you. As for where you park and if the slides will fit, it changes.

Consider instead your lifestyle. Do you need access to your kitchen en route, at rest stops to cook? We do, so that was a must for us. We have a mid kitchen and with the slides in I can get to all appliances and the sink. One of my pantry cupboards is blocked by a slide, so I make sure that all my coffee making supplies, some water bottles, and foods are in an accessible pantry.

What about access to your shower, toilet, and bed? Will the slides in hinder it or does it matter to you?

In glancing over the other replies, maybe it would be best to visit fifth wheels, a lot, at dealerships. Ask them to bring in the slide, take a look at what you can access. What if you are en route and stop for groceries, can you put them all away easily?

Spend a lot of time looking before you decide.

Perhaps you are apprehensive on the commitment? If so, wait on your decision. Let some weeks or months pass. Time has a way of making you realize what's important.

We too, have never been in a situation where our slides were blocked at a camping site. We've had 4 TT's before our FW and three had slides.
Good luck in your decision.

Thank you very much!! Your reply was very helpful!! Yes, time HAS changed things and I am sure will continue to change...

Six months ago, I could not part with much of anything in this house. Now, I am wanting to get rid of everything!!!

But one question...can you sit on a sofa or dinette while it is closed? I read that it will damage the slide mechanism if you do....same would go for the bed, I suppose...to sleep on it with it closed at a Walmart parking lot...

You're welcome. As for sitting on the sofa, using the dinette, or bed while the slide is in - if the slide is flush with the floor when extended, then it has a different support system and use of it while the slide is in should be limited. The bed is different because it has it's own support system, which is pretty hefty. We use ours while it's in but limit use of the dinette while it's in. In other words, one of us sits on the steps to eat and the other sits at the table - less weight. Again we only do this for a lunch at a rest stop, so it's doable for us.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
janegowest wrote:
We were considering a rear kitchen 5er that had the dining on the wall opposite the entry door. There were several compromises, but thought that it might be liveable. However, as I got to thinking....these questions came to mind...

1. How much room is there on that side in parks with tight spaces? If there are a row of trees or bushes on that side, the slide could be jammed up to them?

2. I would imagine that I would be looking at our neighbor's campsite with dining on that side?

We have never RV'ed, so not familiar with RV lot layouts. Would love to hear from you experienced folks!

View all depends on the site. Some the view is out the curb side, some the rear, and some the drivers side.
Our 5er with mid entry and RK, has plenty of windows as shown below. In tight campgrounds, you will always looking at someone else camp site.

To the slide going out issue, biggest issues is not bushes, but power pedestals in older parks, they tend to be right next to the pavement, so one needs to be on the far edge of the pavement on the other side.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

SabreCanuck
Explorer
Explorer
janegowest wrote:
SabreCanuck wrote:
janegowest wrote:
I was under the impression that you can't open the slides to sleep in at a Walmart parking lot or at a rest area.

Yes, you can... But you probably CAN'T overnight at an Rest Area without getting yelled at or a ticket.

There are some states that do allow it:

http://www.frugal-rv-travel.com/rest-stops.html

LOL.. Please see my post and read the word "probably"... You can also "PROBABLY" spend 18 hours there but you may get a 3:00 AM visit from a bored highway patrol to tell you to move along.

So, what I'm saying is I wouldn't recommend a rest area overnight but Walmart or Truckstop should work for a full night's sleep on your extended slide.

Now, back on topic sorry for the hijack.
2011 GMC 2500 D-Max Denali
2015 Palomino Columbus 325RL
Our kids have 4 legs. ๐Ÿ™‚