cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Odor

Luvmy5vr
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased an older fifth wheel to use as a sleep camp. There is this musty/bad smell that is more prominent when I open the cabinet door under the bathroom sink as well as the cupboard under the kitchen sink and drawers. Does anyone know what I can use to remove/eliminate the odor/stench.
2012 Heartland Elkridge 34 TSRE
2011 Chevy 3500 HD 4x4 Dually, Crew Cab. 8' Box
7 REPLIES 7

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
If smell is under sink - almost certainly air admittance valve. I've replaced several over the years.

lpxguy
Explorer
Explorer
yup same happened to me....replaced with this:
air admit. valve
2005 GMC Sierra 3500 CC DRW D/A(FOR SALE)
2013 Crusader 335BHS TE(FOR SALE)

momentum_rv
Explorer
Explorer
lj2654 wrote:
There are vents under the sinks that screw on to the top of a plastic vent line for the drain. If it has been sitting a long time these can dry out inside where the rubber valve is....try running the water to loosen this flap. you may have to unscrew tthem and replace. You can find them at Lowes, Home depot, Menards or most hardware stores.

^^^^ this. Check the AAV (Air admittance valve)
2015 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
There are pros and cons with Ozone Machines. But, one worked well for us when we had a leak in our Southwind. It eliminated the odor.

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I too recently purchased an old 5th wheel. Had been parked and not used for 10 years. It too had a musty/bad smell. I purchased one of these, and left it in the 5th wheel for about a week. No more bad odor.

PurePlug Air Purifier - Small Space Direct Plug-in Purifier Cleans the Air of Bacteria, Viruses, Fun...

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
There are vents under the sinks that screw on to the top of a plastic vent line for the drain. If it has been sitting a long time these can dry out inside where the rubber valve is....try running the water to loosen this flap. you may have to unscrew tthem and replace. You can find them at Lowes, Home depot, Menards or most hardware stores.
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
You might have leaks. An ionizer would help.