cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Park in Flagstaff AZ area

frac999
Explorer
Explorer
Someone please tell which RV park in Flagstaff would be the best for large 50 amp 5th wheel?
23 REPLIES 23

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
Greer's Rv Park has a couple huge pull thru full hookups near the front. JH is open only during peak months. See a lot of the Flagstaff RV Parks here.
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"

64thunderbolt
Explorer II
Explorer II
laknox wrote:
zedd wrote:
We've stayed at J&H several times and never had any problems. I think it's the nicest place there. The KOA is really cramped. We've also stayed at Kit Carson but about all it has going for it is the location, it's just short of being a real dump. However, some friends of ours stayed at Woody Mountain last summer for a while but moved to Kit Carson after a week or so. I don't think there are any really nice parks in the Flagstaff area. There's lots of demand from folks in Phoenix trying to escape the summer heat so they can fill up just about any park...doesn't have to be very nice. There's a nice national forest campground north of town at Sunset Crater but no hookups and only a few spots for an RV. A really nice RV park there might be a good business opportunity for someone...

If it's not the tree-huggers, it's the Indians, which is why almost nothing can get done in Flag. Look at the issues they had just to get the forests thinned to reduce the fire danger. It took a very real scare of the town burning for something to get done and the first close-in fire proved the need of it. A new commercial RV park "in the trees"? Never happen close to town. Maybe the Bellemont area, west of town, where the Camping World is, but that's the start of the "scrub" country.

Lyle

I have a friend that is a ranger in Coconino & he said it takes 5 yrs to get a controlled burn permit. Tree huggers file suit every time they apply for one. If you are staying for some time 42 miles southeast is the Happy Jack lodge. Hookup sites are tight but will take a big rig. No shade. They also have dry sites in the pines back behind the main park. I stayed there last summer in a dry site. All pull throughs. My site was 170' long trailers are about 30' apart in tall pines. No gen or outside lights from 10pm to 7am.
Glen
04 Tail gator XT 34' 5th wheel garage model
200w solar 2 GC2's 800w inv
Truma tankless WH
99 F350 CC DRW 7.3 ais intake, adrenaline hpop, JW valve body,
cooling mist water inj, DP tunes, 4" exh sys
trucool trans cooler added
2011 RZR 900xp

Curly2001
Explorer II
Explorer II
Woody mountain is great. Call ahead and ask for a large site. Great place!
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
zedd wrote:
We've stayed at J&H several times and never had any problems. I think it's the nicest place there. The KOA is really cramped. We've also stayed at Kit Carson but about all it has going for it is the location, it's just short of being a real dump. However, some friends of ours stayed at Woody Mountain last summer for a while but moved to Kit Carson after a week or so. I don't think there are any really nice parks in the Flagstaff area. There's lots of demand from folks in Phoenix trying to escape the summer heat so they can fill up just about any park...doesn't have to be very nice. There's a nice national forest campground north of town at Sunset Crater but no hookups and only a few spots for an RV. A really nice RV park there might be a good business opportunity for someone...

If it's not the tree-huggers, it's the Indians, which is why almost nothing can get done in Flag. Look at the issues they had just to get the forests thinned to reduce the fire danger. It took a very real scare of the town burning for something to get done and the first close-in fire proved the need of it. A new commercial RV park "in the trees"? Never happen close to town. Maybe the Bellemont area, west of town, where the Camping World is, but that's the start of the "scrub" country.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

zedd
Explorer
Explorer
2008 Ford F250 Super Duty, Lariat, 6.4l PSD, Super Cab. Long Bed
2006 Jayco Jay Flight 27.5 RLS Fifth Wheel

tandk
Explorer
Explorer
The Flagstaff KOA is not good for big rigs. We have a 23' 5th wheel and we had to ask them to give us another spot because we couldn't fit due to hanging branches! Would not want to drive through there in a big rig!
Tim and Kathy, Topa the Wonder Dog
2003 Nash 21 5R
2002 Chevy 2500HD, SB, Duramax diesel, Allison tranny
Twin Honda EU2000i

Dave_and_Sue
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at the KOA just off of I40 in Williams last Oct.We were there for 3 days and it is a great CG.
2011 Ram 3500 Dually Mega Cab
2016 Chaparral 370FL

TGPILOT
Explorer
Explorer
I agree on Williams, nice place to stay.

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
FishCatcher1 wrote:
Go to KOA.com. I have stayed at this park several times and found it acceptable. It is on the north end of town and has shopping around it. It is open year around, but they had snow yesterday. It is in the pines. Good luck. Drive safe. I'm out their somewhere also.

The KOA in Flagstaff is a dump. Black Bart's has a good restarunt but is very close to the RR and trains go through there all night long. We always stay at Greer's Pine Shadow, its laid out weird but the guy will lead you to your spot and assist you in parking if you need it
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

tchil
Explorer
Explorer
Black Bart's is in town and the steakhouse musical review was a lot of fun. It is not a very attractive park but easy in and out with a big rig. If you just passing through for a night or two it would be fine but any longer it is just too plain.
Ty
2018 Ram Cummins Mega
2007 Ragen Blackhawk 36-05

JRandall
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with going down the hill a bit to Williams. More to enjoy there as well.

FishCatcher1
Explorer
Explorer
Go to KOA.com. I have stayed at this park several times and found it acceptable. It is on the north end of town and has shopping around it. It is open year around, but they had snow yesterday. It is in the pines. Good luck. Drive safe. I'm out their somewhere also.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
mileshuff wrote:
There really isn't any RV parks in the Flagstaff area that are too good. J&H is ok at best. Be warned the owners have strict rules that some may find odd. We were ordered to turn all outside lights off at 9pm and go inside. Earlier than that we were told our single lantern was too bright and must be turned down to very low (we had it about mid brightness). The next morning the owner came by and commented about a single empty bottle of wine left on our table outside. She told us that perhaps their RV park isn't a proper fit for us and we'd be better suited to an RV park where people drink. ODD!
Odd indeed. While we didn't experience this it clearly shows the total lack of public relations understanding by the owners.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Early on in our RVing life, we stayed at the KOA in Flagstaff; that was in '05 or '06. It was older and somewhat tight, as I remember. Nice park and not too noisy from the trains. Only problem we had was they didn't like our old Rottie lap-dog and we ended up taking him to our nephew's place about 10 miles away for 2 nights. The Williams KOA is much newer and I've heard good things about it. Never stayed at Munds Park but the sparse landscaping doesn't appeal much to us. There's a park at Black Bart's, near Little America, but haven't heard much about it.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member