cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV tires on cement

14fan
Explorer
Explorer
We are permanent campers and just had a pad poured. What is the best thing to use to put between the tires and Cement? Would those plastic blocks at camping world be strong enough for year round use?
TIA
39 REPLIES 39

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
GWolfe wrote:
Maybe this is a question we should start asking on the blow out threads. What surface do you store your trailer on and how long does it sit between uses? I store mine on concrete, last May I had to replace my foreign made cheepo tires because they both had bubbles on the side wall, not even a year old. The only one that was ok was the spare but it got replaced as well. Goodyear Endurance tires are what I replaced them with.

Makes you wonder how fast the delivery guy towed your trailer.

Hope you have good luck with the new GYs! Let us know how they are working for you, after getting some time/miles on them.

Jerry

GWolfe
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe this is a question we should start asking on the blow out threads. What surface do you store your trailer on and how long does it sit between uses? I store mine on concrete, last May I had to replace my foreign made cheepo tires because they both had bubbles on the side wall, not even a year old. The only one that was ok was the spare but it got replaced as well. Goodyear Endurance tires are what I replaced them with.
2005 Sun-Lite Eagle
2011 Silverado

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
mhardin wrote:
There is no reason not to park your tires on concrete.

AND.....if you think putting your tires on TREATED wood is better, you might be fooling yourself. The chemicals used to treat the wood might be worse for the tires than the concrete is. :S
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Bmach
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes I do store my battery n concrete, there is nothing wrong in doing that. That is something was true like seventy+ years ago but not now.

mhardin
Explorer
Explorer
Birdnst wrote:

Even though some people might not understand why,it has always been said that the chemical make up of concrete can react with the chemical make up of tires, and that wood is the best thing to have under your tires.

snip

Do you store a good battery on concrete?
Why not?
It as been on tire manufacturer websites.
I will not take the time to do your investigating.

First off, it is ok to store today's batteries on concrete. No harm will come to the battery. That is old history. Read More Here

Secondly, tires and batteries are two totally different animals. There is no reason not to park your tires on concrete. Do you park your car on boards in the garage or driveway? Of course you don't because there is no reason to do it.
2013 Ford F-350, 4x4, Crew Cab, Long Box.
2001 Jayco Eagle 266 FBS.
2014 Heartland Elkridge 37 Ultimate.

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
Well for us, it is the same as all the previous comments, local, state and federal regulations, and of course my own opinion and practices. But really, we leave ours on the concrete we have on the side of the house which also has our electric, water and sewer connections. We use it once per month, for about a week, and sometimes five or so weeks at a time. longest it sets on the pad without moving is about 6 weeks. So that is me, you be you and we all do our thing. honestly, i am not sure of any damage you will do. but if I were parking it for a couple years or even six months, I would probably level it with mobile home screw jacks and take the tires/wheels off, release some air and stack up on their side. good Luck & Be Save ! ! !

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
yea, what he said
Dennis Hoppert

Cranemec
Explorer
Explorer
Duke-44 wrote:
Birdnst wrote:
Even though some people might not understand why,it has always been said that the chemical make up of concrete can react with the chemical make up of tires, and that wood is the best thing to have under your tires.

Who said that?

The Internet. It must be true!
2015 American Coach Tradition 42G

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
14fan wrote:
We are permanent campers and just had a pad poured. What is the best thing to use to put between the tires and Cement? Would those plastic blocks at camping world be strong enough for year round use?
TIA

I mean permanent in that we will not be towing it on a regular basis, but probably will trade it in a few years.

Info posted from tire mfg doesn't cover a tire stored for several year period while still mounted. The tires simple won't last that long while sitting with weight on them. Plus they will go flat .

A google on the subject has much the same info from Tire and Rubber Manufacturers Association and tire makers .....and you don't have to read through off topic comments.

Hopefully you plan to block the trailer up for long term ??

Goodyear does address trailers that will not be moved. They suggest, removing the tires and deflate to, IIRC, 10lbs and laying them flat on a solid surface.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:

What happens if the concrete isn't dry? ๐Ÿ™‚

Same thing.
Nothing.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Birdnst wrote:
Do you store a good battery on concrete?
Why not?

Yes absolutely.
I don't buy into urban myths/old wives tales......of which that is one.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
14fan wrote:
TIA

I mean permanent in that we will not be towing it on a regular basis, but probably will trade it in a few years.

Info posted from tire mfg doesn't cover a tire stored for several year period while still mounted. The tires simple won't last that long while sitting with weight on them. Plus they will go flat .

A google on the subject has much the same info from Tire and Rubber Manufacturers Association and tire makers .....and you don't have to read through off topic comments.

Hopefully you plan to block the trailer up for long term ??
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

D.E. Bishop . . . I couldn't agree more !

I think this is one of those areas that you do what you feel is best, and its fine.. If you want to use a barrier, go for it, if not, don't . . .
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

lee_worsdell
Explorer
Explorer
all myth,s even batteries