cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Same problem as last summer AC leaking inside

debili
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all Im back same problem as last yr. My AC in front Bedrm. is leaking inside. Both seals were replaced at the end of last summer.
I was on top of RV this am removed cover there is nothing blocking the drain holes if I am looking in correct place.
I called the guy that replaced them he told me of other rare thing the four bolts in four corners to tighten to hold unit tighter did that and again its leaking.
He insists it is the drain holes are clogged.
Does anyone have a diagram or drawing to show me where these stupid holes are? There is no tube or hose.
I did not remove front housing of the unit and do not believe that I need to? The cover yes the housing no please help.
2011 Jayco Eagle 351RTLS
10 REPLIES 10

przao
Explorer
Explorer
I'll second the idea that the four bolts might be the issue. Not only should they be no tighter than specs, but I like to snug them down the same as I do with the lug nuts on a vehicle wheel - a bit at a time to ensure even seating of the seal. I had the same problem and although causes vary, mine was due to condensation leaking past the seal into the rig. Careful attention to the four bolt tightness solved my problem permanently.
PZ

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
eHoefler wrote:
If the 4 bolts are over tightened, it will warp the pan and allow the condensation to leak inside. The manufacture spec is only 14 ftpd, which is barely snug.

Also, If you are in a high humidity area, and using the blast vent on the cover, it will condensate on the grill and drip, that is not a leak per say. The only way to combat this is to close the blast vent and send the air through the vents,

That spec is INCH Pounds...NOT Foot Pounds
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Weldon
Explorer
Explorer
Drain holes are also at the back of the shroud. The cover needs to come off. The four bolts from the insideneed to be more than finger tight. good and snug but that is not super tight.

Jim_Sharon
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the picture, and description Old Biscuit. I used to know nothing about R.V. A/Cs, Now I know something.
2006 Wildcat 27RL
2006 2500HD w/Allison/Duramax
KB3TXH

debili
Explorer
Explorer
try againCannot seem to include a photo

debili
Explorer
Explorer
UGH so I did have a neighbor come over to help me inside he tightened the bolts really tight. I am short and can barley get the cover back on by myself as it is basically in middle of bed...so now I guess I need to re loosen them.
I am trying to attach a photo but it is aksing for a url for the photo

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the 4 bolts are over tightened, it will warp the pan and allow the condensation to leak inside. The manufacture spec is only 14 ftpd, which is barely snug.

Also, If you are in a high humidity area, and using the blast vent on the cover, it will condensate on the grill and drip, that is not a leak per say. The only way to combat this is to close the blast vent and send the air through the vents,
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Drip pan is directly underneath the EVAP Coil which is under the sealed cover after removing the shroud

Return air filter...remove and you can see the Evap Coil...feel around and you will notice if drip pan is wet/holding water from condensation
If holding water then drain holes are clogged/obstructed...they are on each side of drip pan at the edges of EVAP Coil
Can only get the drip pan drain holes by removing shroud then opening the sealed compartment where Evap coil is...might have to 'push evap coil' aside to get to them

The 4 hold down bolts should only be SNUG ...finger tight then just a 1/4 turn or so
TOO tight can crush the roof opening gasket, cause wrapping of roof line and/or Block the drip pan drain holes etc
Should be 1/2" between bottom of A/C Unit and roof

Warm Return Air mixing with cold discharge air via divider wall between them leaking will cause heavy condensation

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine would let the hot damp air from the intake mix with the cold air on the way to vents. When I blocked that it stopped.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Don't know of last summer problem, fix, results??

Is it freezing up, then dripping on inside?? Maybe time for a good cleaning, under that housing?
Is it leaking when it rains?

You should have been able to see the drain holes.

Jerry