cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

San Diego to Anchorage Alaska..Next week..

groundpoundn200
Explorer
Explorer
First post but I am a Good Sam's member. Hello all..

I have a 99..38FT Damon Challenger 3 slide out and love it. Just drove from Fort Bragg N.C. to San diego last week to visit family. We will be leaving next week to our new home in Anchorage A.K. ( Military move) I was hoping to find a web site kind of like Mapquest that i could just plug in my start and end city and it would list all the possible stopping locations to hook up for the night. No luck yet any advice would help, thank you all again Tim...
5 REPLIES 5

vietvet66-67
Explorer
Explorer
Hey groundpoundn2000, your going to love Alaska, and THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. Enjoy your new Post.
2006 Chevy 3500 DRW LBZ/ALLY LT2 The "DREAM CATCHER"
1999 Newmar American Star Newmar Kountry Klub #19708
Curt Q20 P-2 Controller
LIFE MEMBER OF THE VFW MEMBER 335 "DUALLY CLUB"
"GOD, GUTS, AND GUNS KEEP AMERICA FREE"

lhenry8113
Explorer
Explorer
Have you checked out Good Sam--whenever I have taken a trip, including B.C., I had G.S. map out a route , showing Diesel stations, Rest Stops, Campgrounds, Etc. Lars
2017 Chev/CLass C Forest River Forester 2251 SLE

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
At least the Electrical Service is the same in both countries. NO need for transformers or strange looking adapters like moving to Europe...
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
From your current location there are several different routes. As Frank's best friend mentioned, take a look/read, at the Alaska/Canada section on this forum , pick up a Milepost guide and a copy of Church's Alaskan Camping guide also.

Then decide if you re going to stay west and go up to Prince George BC and up the Cassiar Highway to the Watson Lake area of if you want to go east out of Prince George, to get o Dawson Creek and the start of the Alaska Highway. The Cassiar tends to be more remote, more scenic, but a slower drive for me. Many travelers tend to take one north bound and the other on their south bound leg.

You will find many places where you can boondocks over night once you cross the Canidain border or there will be full service campgrounds in most all communities, large or small. We tend to use a mix, one night in a full service place and then a couple of nights in provincial campgrounds or just find a place to boondocks along a river or lake.

Depending on how many days you are planning to take from SF to JBER, you can make a leisurely trip out of it or just blast on down the road. I have done it both ways over the 51 years I have been driving the Alaska Highway. It is a great trip, one I am sure you and your family will enjoy.
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

hawkman541
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing I can think up electronically, or software, but you might think of getting a Milepost at the bookstore. It has a step by step routing with all the stops, and even delays.

Make sure you have all your passports, and other documentations. Have shot records for pets and read through the Canada and Alaska forum on what to bring across the border and what to ship. We came from San Antonio through Anchorage to Kenai. Good luck - 25 year vet for me. Retired. Thanks for your service.
2002 Ford F-450 Crew Cab
2013 Heartland Landmark San Antonio
Frank-10lb. Chihuahua